The Student Room Group

Options problems

I have to take a language (French or German) to study for GCSE but I can't decide wether to take both or one and philosophy and ethics:frown:
Reply 1
Original post by Kathy chiff
I have to take a language (French or German) to study for GCSE but I can't decide wether to take both or one and philosophy and ethics:frown:

I'd take both languages if you're good at them and they are viewed better than philosophy and ethics as it is more traditional. Languages require a lot of memorisation. If you're on the AQA board they will basically have controlled assessments where you will regurgitate what you have prepared. So easy but requires effort.
Reply 2
Original post by Kathy chiff

I take both languages because I couldn't decide which to drop. If I'm honest I prefer French a lot more but that's because I'm in a really small class and I find it easier compared to German. I find the listening exams for both languages really difficult but the course work and the reading exams are not too bad. I got a C in both French and German for listening in my recent mock then an A* (french) and an A (german) for the reading paper. I ended up with an A overall for both, so basically you don't need to be amazing at listening to get a good grade. I don't know about the other two subjects but two languages is definitely enjoyable and you can get good grades in the course work because you do twice as much as everyone else so you know how it works and how to get grades. Hope that helped!

Quick Reply

Latest