The Student Room Group

"I'd feel emasculated if my wife earned more than me"'Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I would absolutely love it.

I'd put my feet up and lie in the sun like a lizard. She can bring home the bacon.
Reply 21
Original post by Le Nombre
Me and my mates were chatting about careers, futures, life post uni etc. the other day and one of them said the above.

I was a bit surprised, it's just never something I've considered, but about a third of my mates agreed with him. I think my view may be coloured by my parents' leapfrogging each other's salaries throughout their careers and ending up with basically the same job (albeit my dad is paid a bit more) and those agreeing tended to be those where their dad was the principal breadwinner.

Anyway just wondered how many guys on here felt the same as my mate really.

I agree with your mates.

My parents, both of them are lawyers in Singapore they always told us that whenever we find for a life partner they should make within 20% of each other's income and that the man should always earn more than his wife or else there will be all kinds of negative connotations to it.

I don't really follow their 20% advice but do follow that we should always earn more.

I wouldn't ask her how much she made or to show me her payslip to find out as I wouldn't want her to know how much I make.

As for why, it isn't really anything to do with emasculation, essentially if you are in a relationship with a woman from a Nordic country in one way or another she will do something that will make you feel emasculated. Me making more than her generally keeps it in my head that I'm still more powerful. :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by Old_Simon
I think it is very relevant and highly illuminating. Women obviously feel that if the guy isn't richer / more powerful that they won't feel "loved". It shows what the agenda is only too clearly. Going directly on point earning less than a wife is fatal normally. They all deny it obviously.

You're just pulling that straight out of your arse. Have you not considered that women who are incredibly wealthy off their own back are rare and move in circles where the men are also incredibly wealthy? It's hardly rocket science. Why would you expect incredibly wealthy women to even be meeting men who are not wealthy on a regular basis?
Reply 23
I think it is very relevant and highly illuminating. Women obviously feel that if the guy isn't richer / more powerful that they won't feel "loved". It shows what the agenda is only too clearly. Going directly on point earning less than a wife is fatal normally. They all deny it obviously.

Oh I see. You are saying men feel emasculated if they earn less, because they know women want men who earn more than them. I think the opposite interpretation is just as valid though - women know men feel emasculated if they don't earn more, so they look for someone who does earn more. I guess which way it goes depends on whether ultimately the man chooses the woman or the woman chooses the man - in either case they seem well suited to each other though.
Original post by Ronove
You're just pulling that straight out of your arse. Have you not considered that women who are incredibly wealthy off their own back are rare and move in circles where the men are also incredibly wealthy? It's hardly rocket science. Why would you expect incredibly wealthy women to even be meeting men who are not wealthy on a regular basis?

I think statistically we might expect them to be mingling with wealthy men. From there on the inference is flawed.
Original post by llys
Oh I see. You are saying men feel emasculated if they earn less, because they know women want men who earn more than them. I think the opposite interpretation is just as valid though - women know men feel emasculated if they don't earn more, so they look for someone who does earn more. I guess which way it goes depends on whether ultimately the man chooses the woman or the woman chooses the man - in either case they seem well suited to each other though.

No no. It is very simple and easy to understand. Women just love rich men. Always.
Original post by Le Nombre
Me and my mates were chatting about careers, futures, life post uni etc. the other day and one of them said the above.

I was a bit surprised, it's just never something I've considered, but about a third of my mates agreed with him. I think my view may be coloured by my parents' leapfrogging each other's salaries throughout their careers and ending up with basically the same job (albeit my dad is paid a bit more) and those agreeing tended to be those where their dad was the principal breadwinner.

Anyway just wondered how many guys on here felt the same as my mate really.

All those who's masculinity is small enough to be destroyed by something so meaningless.

Grown up relationships are based on a lot more important elements than who earns the most.
No no. It is very simple and easy to understand. Women just love rich men. Always.

Perhaps you are using hyperbole to make a point. You would be foolish if you actually believed this to be always true.
Original post by Alfissti
I agree with your mates.

My parents, both of them are lawyers in Singapore they always told us that whenever we find for a life partner they should make within 20% of each other's income and that the man should always earn more than his wife or else there will be all kinds of negative connotations to it.

I don't really follow their 20% advice but do follow that we should always earn more.

I wouldn't ask her how much she made or to show me her payslip to find out as I wouldn't want her to know how much I make.

As for why, it isn't really anything to do with emasculation, essentially if you are in a relationship with a woman from a Nordic country in one way or another she will do something that will make you feel emasculated. Me making more than her generally keeps it in my head that I'm still more powerful. :smile:

Their 20% rule seems reasonable, because it makes sense to choose an equal to enter a partnership with. But the man having to earn more is ridiculous - why does the man have to be more powerful?
really couldnt give a damn if she earned more than me though if she did it would make the lifestyle more comfortable seeing as when i finish my course i should hopefully be on an above average wage
Reply 30
Original post by joker12345
Their 20% rule seems reasonable, because it makes sense to choose an equal to enter a partnership with. But the man having to earn more is ridiculous - why does the man have to be more powerful?

Different cultures see things differently :smile:

In Singapore it is still fairly frowned upon to marry someone who doesn't have similar academic background and very much frowned upon for a girl to marry-down and if the guy marries up chances are he will have no say in anything as it is generally deemed the one with money has the power.
Reply 31
You might feel emasculated but to save any future humiliating and belittling comments coming from her direction during a war of words happening you could always stage a burglary with a mate and then go and save the day while she screams in the bed and begs you for help. Aha so you earn 10k more than me but please, babe, remember the time when I confronted that guy in our house while you wet your pants : )

Ok so that's a dumb recommendation that I just wrote on this valuable site, I'm quite drunk and as you know I'm in state where I really have this urge to say dumb stuff and it's a human tragedy that I am writing this and am. About to 'SUBMIT REPLY' even though I am aware of why I am doing it and have apparent free will to not do it. Seriously though I wouldn't care if my wife or partner earned more than me, I let ego stop controlling me a while back and now I am unaffected by most things.
(edited 10 years ago)
well that's me screwed then being a future engineer in oil and gas :frown:
If this was the case, all successful women would find it VERY difficult to find themselves a partner :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending