2<=y<=11

b) lamda = 5

3 Expansion of series (2 -px)^6

64 + Ax + 135x^2

p = 0.75
A =-144

4a) f(x+1) Shift graph to left by 1

b) modf(x) = Reflect anything under x axis above

c) F(modx) = Copy the positive x-axis onto the negative side so the y-axis becomes a line of symmetry

5a) Graphs simple
b) graphs cross once therefore only one solution
c) F(3) = -0.218
F(4) = 0.018

Change of sign over interval and continuous implies root in interval QED

d) Root is 3.921 to 3dp

6)a) prove c=4p^2 easy
b) show c=4 easy
c) integral = Pi(9+8ln2)

7a) equation of normal:
x + 2y =14
b) show n=14 easy
c) integral area:
97 - 3ln2

8ai) Prove tanx = -root3/2 east
aii Show ([email protected])/([email protected]) = [email protected] easy

b) show 180 is on solution, easy

c) Find other 2 solutions:

26.6 and 206.6 degs to 1dp

The mark scheme is as follows:

1a 2
1b 4
2a 3
2b 3
3 7
4a 3
4b 3
4c 4
5a 3
5b 1
5c 2
5d 4
6a 2
6b 2
6c 7
7a 4
7b 1
7c 7
8ai 5
aii 3
b 1
c 4

hope you guys got all these results, I am certain I have nailed that test, glad it wasn't another P3.
physics
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
could you please give a solution for 7c,, i got 97+13/10 lin2. not sure why
physics
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
could you please give a solution for 7c,, i got 97+13/10 lin2. not sure why

Thanks
mensandan
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
You have simplified your logs wrongly I think. I agree that the constant was 97 and then you had 10ln2 - 13ln2 as the log parts.

You may have simplified this incorrectly because they do not start with the same number, as such you treat them as a simple subtraction leaving -3ln2. then again I may be wrong, either way we had the same until the answer line as such only 1 mark gone for one of us. Hope this helps dude.
Dan
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Can someone please explain why 1b) is .2, i was almost certain i got it right an i got 3??????
mensandan
Rep:
?
You have sustituted in the end points of the domain:

However if you differentiate the function or complete the square you find it has a minimum at x=1 so x^2 - 2x + 3 = 1 -2 +3 so y=2 at x=1 at x=0 you got y=3, this is why you got the value 3, sorry dude, got the top value though so 1 in the bag. Dan
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
i got the exact same answers as you except for 1a) i simplified it more to get: 1 + 3/x
mensandan
Rep:
?
The fact that you simplified further will make no difference as both are acceptable formats. Looks like we nailed it dude.
byb3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i have all the same answers to you, apart from i have done the f(|x|) graph wrong, as I have forgotten to reflect in the y-axis, silly me. But thats at most 2 marks.

So i might be looking at more than 95% here, wayhey!

Regards,
mensandan
Rep:
?
This goes to show that people who are internet savvy are smarter than their non-net counterparts, first it was test the nation now maths exams. Come on!!!!!!!!!

Actually I am now looking forward to results day (for maths), notice I didn't post my answers to anything other subject. that is because I am pants at all my others. Dan
Xenon
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Darn it. I thought I did ok, except that for some odd reason I had tan theta=0, which is so wrong. This was probably due to me taking too much time on the graphs, and rushing that alst bit a bit. I hope that I got the rest right, although I can't remember all the answers I got; I never can after an exam. Oh well, I hope I get a high A, even if I did lose 4 marks on the last part.
Better exam than I thoguht it would be, but no trapezium rule, which I was kinda looking forward to.
mensandan
Rep:
?
No trapezium rule was a bummer, also time was a bit short as you had to draw loads of graphs and I always take ages over them to make sure they are not poo!! I reckon that the grade boundaries on this will not be too high as people will not have had time to check their work, as such nearly everyone will have dropped marks, therefore there will be a slight mark up (if it is like normal). Hope you did well dude. Dan
Xenon
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeah, I really wish that I had had time to check over properly, not just 2 minutes. I left the last 2 function graphs till the end to draw, and it seems that I drew them right thankfully. I have a bad feeling that I've dropped some marks just for careless errors, and an even worse feeling that somehow I didn't quite get the right answer for th binomial thing. Annoying thing is that I can't remember what answer I wrote, so I don't know if I've lost any marks on it.
Do you really think that they would lower the boundaries? I mean by the looks of this board, it seems that most people have done well. I mean careless errors aside, it was a pretty decent paper.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
i doubt the paper will be marked up. it was a very easy paper which i finished in 35mins, so i had 55mins to check over everything.
mensandan
Rep:
?
In my opinion these exams were a little easier than the ones last year. They were marked up heavily (about 10%). I think these were easier but no walkover so they will either be marked up a little or at worst remain steady. Don't forget many people will have done really badly, like 10% or less, with no intention of carrying on, these people always outnumber those who score 85% plus as such there is rarely a move down, and if there is the most I can remember being told about was 3 marks in a Jan module. So look on the bright side, those silly marks you thought you dropped will be given back to you for free, yay!!!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
i got 5 for 1b
can someone show workings
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
would you beleive it,I was fifteen minute late to the exam. Got so scared i finished in 20 mins! Then i checked and rechecked everything. Im sure ive got alomost all rite. It was a preety easy paper. (Hail P2! Down with P3!)
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Unregistered
i got 5 for 1b
can someone show workings
log (x^2 + 4x + 3) - log (x^2 + x) = 4

Therefore: log [(x^2 + 4x + 3) / (x^2 + x)] = 4

From part a, (x^2 + 4x + 3)/(x^2 + x) = (x+3)/x

log [(x+3)/x] = 4

(x+3)/x = 2^4

x+3 = 16x
15x = 3, x = 3/15 = 1/5.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
How did you proove 8 i) ?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
can neone guess how much they'll scale up p3 by, cos i got like , a 90, 95, 84, 86 and 78 and im guessin i need bout nother 50 in p3 but i did crap in it

ne ideas?
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (204)
12.73%
Excited (139)
8.68%
Worried (291)
18.16%
Terrified (363)
22.66%
Meh (144)
8.99%
Confused (35)
2.18%