Here are the answers to P2 edexcel

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Unregistered
How did you proove 8 i) ?
Question was cos(x+ 30) = 3cos (x - 30) and prove tan x = -root 3/2?

cos xcos30 - sin xsin 30 = 3cos xcos 30 + 3sin xsin 30

cos 30 = root 3/2, sin 30 = 1/2:

(root 3/2)cos x - (1/2)sin x = (3root 3/2)cos x + (3/2)sin x

-2sin x = (root 3)cos x

Dividing by cos x: -2tan x = root 3, tan x = -(root 3/2).
byb3
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i have done a really silly way of proving the first question on answer 8, but still I have proven it.

I did it like this:

Got it into the format of an Rsin(x+a)

Then worked out what X was, and then said tan of that value was -root3 over 2, which is what it was. Surely I won't lose any marks for this?

I remember from my first P2 that the graphs took ages, so I left 4 and 5 out until the end. The only question which was slightly troublesome was the area under the curve/line. I still got that right though, from the answers by mensandan. I had 30mins left when I finished, took 20mins to check them over where I made up about 5 marks for silly errors (like integrating 5 to 5), and noticing the range question had an upper limit of 11. I still had 10mins spare at the end to write all my names on. I had bloody 4 pages of graph paper.

Regards,
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Yeah, I was looking at question 7.c. for a while and panicked a bit, so left it and did the trig first (I've now realised that I ****ed up the last bit) and then went back to it. I didn't use graph paper for the sketching, I just did them in the answer booklet. The only one I couldn't do was y = f(|x|). Thank god they allow graphical calculators for P2, I would probably have had problems sketching y = 2 - e^-x if they didn't.
byb3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
lol,

why not use the classic x, -3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3, method?
worked for me!
Vin
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Crap, why oh why didn't I resit P2 this year? It's so much easier this June!

I did the Jan 03 paper which everyone found harder than usual, much like the Jun 02 P1 paper and especially the horrifying P3 of Jun 03 being much harder than their predecessors. Oh well, I guess I missed out on some extra marks overall. I only got a 90 on my P2; people sitting this paper could easily get over 95 and possibly 100. Argh. This sucks. The people who got 60-ish on the Jan paper found this paper shockingly easy, and some from this category, mentioned that they might get close to full marks.

Why can't Edexcel set papers that are consistent in difficulty?! Very pissing.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Could have done I suppose.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
for the very last part of last question i got tanx= 0

is this wrong
Xenon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I got that too, but I think that tan x =1/2, from what most people got. Bugging, do we get any marks for the work which we did do? Probably no right, although I'd love 1 or even 2 extra marks.
mensandan
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
when you rearranged the equations you divided both sides by [email protected] At this point you will have put the LHS = 0

[email protected] = [email protected]

[email protected] = 2([email protected])

So:

1 = 2([email protected])/([email protected])

So 1/2 = [email protected]

When you divided by [email protected] I reckon you forgot that the LHS would be 1 and put 0 like you had swapped sides:

Should only cost a couple of marks. Sorry for the bad news dudes. dan
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Yeah, that's what I ended up doing. Lol.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
So i might be looking at more than 95% here, wayhey!

I'm not being funny, but don't you think you're a bit presumptious saying that you've done great? Loads of you do it and to be honest its not all that nice for those of us who found it very difficult when you're saying it was piss easy. I'm predicted AAB in all my other subjects and will be grateful for an E in maths.
Matt1985
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
Hi i was just wondering:

First thanks for putting your answers up it is appreciated by everyone,

but for question: 7c) where you get the area as 97-3ln2. I got 95 - 3ln 2 ( i thiknk!)

BUT I remember getting the 91,the 6 , the 10ln2 and the -13ln2 in the method, so basically if you kinow what i mean i have messed up the very last line and added it up wrong!. Does this mean i wlil lose a lot of marks? Will it only be one mark? please be so!!
Also if i only lost one mark will this become full marks because after P3 i need all the marks i can get!!
cheers Dan,

Matt
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I suppose you'll get all the method marks and just lose one mark for the answer.
mensandan
Rep:
?
I am certain it will only cost you 1 mark, because you have shown you understand all the methods and got both areas right (hopefully we did!!!) and then forgot how to add up (doh!), definitely one answer mark only in my opinion, you will have got all the method and 2 answer marks for the 2 separate areas. Chill man, no problem!!!!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by mensandan
In my opinion these exams were a little easier than the ones last year. They were marked up heavily (about 10%). I think these were easier but no walkover so they will either be marked up a little or at worst remain steady. Don't forget many people will have done really badly, like 10% or less, with no intention of carrying on, these people always outnumber those who score 85% plus as such there is rarely a move down, and if there is the most I can remember being told about was 3 marks in a Jan module. So look on the bright side, those silly marks you thought you dropped will be given back to you for free, yay!!!
Yes I agree with you there, this exam was not too bad. The one in January was harder than this one and they did not change the marks. So I guess they will lower marks on this paper, i'm quite sure by probably 4 marks like the one in the P1 exam in Jan. Thats between 5 and 6%. I really don't think this is fair because if a paper is not at the right standard you cannot show your true ability. In this case students would lose marks for no reason.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
thx dan damn i got tanx = 0, i am so dumb i came up with answers of 90 and 270, i messed 1 graph, amd the range question, i dropped 1 mark for area 2, so thats about 10 marks rest is fine
mensandan
Rep:
?
If they do mark the papers down I wonder how that will work. For example I remember M1 in Jan was marked down by 2 I think. You needed 62/75 for an A. The weird thing is that you could still get 100% I find this strange, because surely the top score would have been 97% or so. I guess the scaling is not a simple as it appears. I hear rumour that they like to ensure that the top 5% are credited with 100% and shift the scores to make it so, also if too many people get an A then they up the raw score needed for that and so on. I suppose it depends where the bulk of the results are situated as to what happens. I wish the board would come out and explain how this works. Does it mean that if someone gets 75/75 (not very likely, I agree) that they will not be given 100 UMS that is outrageous, then again it will only affect a few people really, not me I always make stupid errors on the script
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
dan, if i get about 44/75 for p3 juyn, what you think my ums is as an estimate, still cant belovbe i ruined tanx=1/2 :*
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I looked on here after both P1 and P2 which i found both of really difficuly. Everybody on these websites seem to have found them incredibly easy, but if there is any one there that didnt please please tell me as i really need to be made feel betta.
Matt1985
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
thanks dan!!!
was just wondering though, for 22a) Range of f

2<=y<=11 " wasnt the bottom value 3? i got 1 for upper value but dont remember getting 2 for bottom value!!
What was f(x) again?

Matt
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (312)
34.1%
No (603)
65.9%

Watched Threads