Report 16 years ago
so happy with that paper! hope every did well

jac
mensandan
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Judging by the outrage at the standard of the P3 paper I wouldn't be surprised if it is the hardest paper in recent years. P3 is normally difficult to get an A on with the boundaries rarely moved down and sometimes up a little. So if the paper was that hard (I think it was) then surely the logic follows that the boundary for an A will be tops 55/75 and eveythin else will slide accordingly. So you are lookin at high high 60's with your score. Ofcourse this is just my opinion, but I hope it is true, as I hink we all need a little help with P3. All the best, Dan.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
dan i felt good after exam, looking at your answers seems i got 67/75, maybe thats an A

just a question what are your results in your other modules
mensandan
Rep:
?
In Q2 the function was x^2 - 2x +3

if you differentate this you get

2x - 2

So for a minimum dy/dx = 0

so 2x -2 = 0

x=1

At X=1 the function takes the value 2, I thought this question was a bit mean for early on, I hope this helps you out dude!!!
mensandan
Rep:
?
Don't know yet dude, just sat S1, P1, M1, P2 this year.

I was averaging over 95% in all the modules in the practice papers, not bragging though coz I used the text books half the time. As for my other subjects take the above number and divide by 2 I reckon. I am taking further maths and hoping to go on and do a maths degree. Reason for further maths, I knew that I would not get better than a D in anythin else so I need 2 good grades in Maths. Dan
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
my 2nd year retake, you thrash me
Jac
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
hi

does anyone know,

how many marks will i lose if i got a different answer to lambda but had a go at it neway?

for the third graph of that graph question, i got two of the co-ordinates right but reflected the wrong bit, Anyone got any ideas how many marks out of 4 this would be. (stupid!)

thanx
mensandan
Rep:
?
If you showed all your working and methods then you can expect to pick up about 60% of marks. If you think you did a question totally wrong then it may be less. Hope you used the right methods and stuff, all the best, Dan
Jac
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Cheers dan u seem like a bit of a maths expert. Think i got about 93% on that one, which should hopefully give me the A I need for uni. Its gonna be close lol

jac
Matt1985
Report 16 years ago
ahh i see, stupid me i put 3 as bottom value!
is that one mark gone or two cos i got the upper range?
Thanks
Matt
mensandan
Rep:
?
If you got the upper bound you will get a least 1 mark, if you showed the correct method to find the other and got it wrong 1 more mark, for the final mark the correct range as an inequality.

Hard to say because it is a 3 mark question. You will know better than me if you used the right method and messed up or the wrong method for the lower bound. All the best
Dan
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
that paper wasn't bad at all. There were a few tedious questions, but its all good. out of the 75 marks, i know for SURE that i only dropped 3, maximum 4 marks... The only bad thing which i feel is that everyone found it easy and so the scale factor will be less than 1, so people will get lower than they really got!!! Edexcel are bums!!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
lander = 5 right!!!
mensandan
Rep:
?
lamda was 5 dude, no worries. Dan
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Anyone taking further maths next I advise you to stay away from M3! I'm doing P1, P2, P3, P4, P5, P6, M1, M2, M3, S1, S2, D1. I think I did quite badly on P3 (due to only just finishing my syllabus), so I was pleasantly surprised that P2 went well. I also had P5 today which went fine. It needed to, as I am trying to make an offer to study at Trinity College, Cambridge.
Flakker
Report 16 years ago
On question 1:

Doesn't (x+3)/x simplify to 1 + (3/x)????

If not. Oh well.
mensandan
Rep:
?
Yeah man they are the same, both will get full credit. One is a combined fraction, the other a separated fraction. Like the difference between putting 7/3 or 2 1/3 as your answer. You can see they are the same. Same thing applies in algebraic fractions, cheers, dan
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
does anyone knnow where I can find a copy of the P2 paper.? I can't remember all the questions.
Thanks.
fArhAnA
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Unregistered
Yeah, I was looking at question 7.c. for a while and panicked a bit, so left it and did the trig first (I've now realised that I ****ed up the last bit) and then went back to it. I didn't use graph paper for the sketching, I just did them in the answer booklet. The only one I couldn't do was y = f(|x|). Thank god they allow graphical calculators for P2, I would probably have had problems sketching y = 2 - e^-x if they didn't.
you might like not the sound of this but edexcel dont give marks unless graphs are drawn on graph paper
Xenon
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
But it said to sketch a graph. I thought that you would only use graph paper if it said that you have to draw the graph accurately like in stats. That's plain mean if we lose marks for that, cos they did NOT state that on the paper. Are we all allowed to complain if this is the case, because I don't know about the rest of you, but I did not even think about using the graph paper for a sketch, and I don't know how many in my school did. That's a waste of time and of marks.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.65%
Excited (154)
9.1%
Worried (304)
17.97%
Terrified (376)
22.22%
Meh (162)
9.57%
Confused (37)
2.19%
Putting on a brave face (232)
13.71%
Impatient (213)
12.59%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise