Here are the answers to P2 edexcel

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
you lose marks for doing it on graph paper because it clearly says SKETCH not plot.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
To be honest I don't think they'll be too fussed what you did it on (with the exception of a napkin!) just as long as it clear what is what.
Xenon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Wait, although I did the graphs in the answer booklet, and I really hope that I don't lose marks for that (else I'll get everyone I know to bombard edexcel with letters of complaint), why do they provide us with graph paper, if they want a sketch. I hope that they just give everyone who did a correct sketch the marks; as simple as that(I hope)
fArhAnA
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
i did read it on one of the solutions from Edexcel, but i cant find it now, anyways lets hope im wrong
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
i dont understand how 2 b) was 2<y<11, i got 3<y<11.I just substituted the domain values into the equation. What did i do wrong? For 7c)the area of R-i got something like 91+130ln2 cos i forgot to rearrange the logs and just multiplied them instead.
Am i wrong in saying question 8 was a little tricky? For some reason i couldnt do part (i) and the last two parts. Apart from that i think i got a good mark. Would it be downgraded if so many people found it that easy?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Unregistered
i dont understand how 2 b) was 2<y<11, i got 3<y<11.I just substituted the domain values into the equation. What did i do wrong? For 7c)the area of R-i got something like 91+130ln2 cos i forgot to rearrange the logs and just multiplied them instead.
Am i wrong in saying question 8 was a little tricky? For some reason i couldnt do part (i) and the last two parts. Apart from that i think i got a good mark. Would it be downgraded if so many people found it that easy?
For the range, you needed to differentiate the function and hence find the turning points. The value of f(x) at this value of x will give you your lower range boundary.
mensandan
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Let me reassure everyone out there in forum land. If an edexcel exam says sketch a graph then you are free to draw it where you want (in the booklet or on graph paper is probably best). The graph paper was provided as some people prefer to draw graphs on graph paper for easy scaling. Other people are happy to set there own scales on the axes in the answer book, I am sure everyone could happily do both. I have checked this with several sources (teacher/exam board/syllabus/revision guides) just to be sure, because it is the kind of thing that can make your heart sink when you think you have dropped a whole grade or more. The graph paper was given as an option and that should have been made clear by your school. Finally if you were meant to use the graph paper, the question would have stated "draw or plot accurately on the graph paper provided the graph of......."

Fear not people only if the word draw or plot is mentioned do you need graph paper, however in our exam questions 4 and 5 both say sketch so in the booklet will gain full credit. Trust me I have done my research. All the best, chill out, Dan
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Why do edexcel still put up graph drawing question when they know students have graphical calculators, isnt that bad on the people that dont? oh well i had one and did q5) in a few seconds!!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Thanks Dan, that's what I thought.
mensandan
Rep:
?
There are many ways to use a calculator to check your answers: They can integrate the area under a curve (some calculators on the allowed list do this)(in a decimal sense) and then you can check your derived answer which may be in terms of e or ln etc. It can also sketch the graphs for you, that would save a lot of time, it can do virtually the whole stats syllabus for you, but you have to show your working to get these marks. Only on the graph ones do edexcel seem to discriminate against those of us who are too cheap to replace our old steam powered calculators. I see no reason why these calculators are allowed in exams, and no reason to disallow them, as long as everyone either has them or not. Dan
hilly
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I don't know why but on that question with the root between f(3) and f(4) I did not get a change in sign. Anyone able to tell me what I did wrong??

Also...the question with the area...I integrated the area under the curve C between the limits 0 and ln4 (or something like that) but then didn't think to just add on the area of the triangle...I found the equation of the line PN which I was going to integrate until it turned out very horribly so I couldn't integrate. Stupid triangle...I should I noticed it was a triangle...D'oh!!!!!

Method marks hopefully!!

I reackon I've dropped about 10 marks all together which probably is going to be a grade C on this easy paper...(only kidding)

I doubt the grade boundries will be scaled down...there are still a lot of stupid people out there!

I thought P2 was nice but P5 I though only happened in dreams!
Xenon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I wish that I had got a graphics calculator. It would have saved me more time, and help me cut out some of the silly mathematical errors. What other exams are you allowed a graphical calculator? Our school always said that they'd offer us a chance to buy the calculator, but they never did. Oh well!
physics
Report 16 years ago
I someone please work out a predictions of UMS for the following exams:

June 2003
P3 45/75
P2 61/75
M1 60/75

With this in mind I can work out what i need to get in M2 to get a B overall
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
p3- 65-72 ums
p2- 81
m1-80
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
**** if i knew sketch meant sketch on booklet i would have saved myself about 10 minutes on all 4 graphs in p2, oh well
fArhAnA
Report 16 years ago
has anyone uploaded a copy of the p2 paper yet? i would like to see it!
mensandan
Rep:
?
Possible reasons why you didn't get a sign change:

1) You subbed 3 and 4 into one of the original equations (like y=2-e^-x)

or

2) You used the expression incorrectly. Like using e^x +root x -2 instead of e^-x + rootx -2

3) You used e^-x - root x - 2

1) would give you:

f(3) = 1.95
f(4) = 1.98

2) would give:

f(3) = 19.8
f(4) = 54.5

3) would give:

f(3) = -3.68
f(4) = -3.98

Any of these look familiar, if not there are other possible combinations, hope this helps you out dude, Dan
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Well im a guy who got 100 for all P3'sI did at scool. i just counted out my score and it seems ill get bout 65,64/75. You think thatll be graded atleast as a 90?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by fArhAnA
you might like not the sound of this but edexcel dont give marks unless graphs are drawn on graph paper
The question said 'sketch', so i sketched the functions in the answer booklet. If the question had said 'acurately plot the functions on the supplied graph paper' then i would have. No marks should be lost for either method
hilly
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I did it e^-x + rootx -2

Still got it wrong...oh well...its done now

Triangle...it was a triangle!!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (292)
34.23%
No (561)
65.77%

Watched Threads