Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
P38 - Petition for a Model European Election, Escutcheon

Petition for a Model European Election

This petition...

1. This petition notes that:

a) The United Kingdom's component of the European Parliament elections are scheduled to take place on the 22nd of May, 2014.
b) Many of the users of thestudentroom's politics section hold strong opinions on Europe, be they pro-European or anti-European.
c) A critical component of maintaining a model parliament such as the Model House of Commons is making frequent attempts to engage the public.

2. In light of such notes, this petition calls for:

a) The Model House of Commons to hold a Model European Election on the same date as the real life European Elections
b) This model European election to feature Model House of Commons parties campaigning solely and uniquely upon their European stance and relations with Europe; including possible features such as deciding which affiliation (EPP, S&D, ALDE, non-inscrit, etc.) that they would belong to, and what their position on European sovereignty with relation to member countries is. Domestic policy would not be a feature of this campaign except as it relates to wider European politics; for example, whether one supports agricultural subsidies in the context of the Common Agricultural Policy.
c) This election would not actually provides members for a given model legislative body, as this petition understands a Model European Parliament is not feasible, and any results from this election would be non-binding. However, to provide incentive for parties to compete fully, the petition-maker (yours sincerely) promises to provide snazzy banners or avatars or other such graphical booty in relation to how well parties perform.

3. This petition offers the following benefits from such a move for your consideration:

a) A general increase in the activity of the Model House of Commons. People are always excited by real life elections, and the Model House of Commons' most active moments have coincided with real life elections (according to the history, anyway! Feel free to correct the petition-maker if he is in fact wrong). This is something which should be harnessed.
b) A chance for parties to attract new members, given the prominence placed on elections and the campaign work put in by the parties.
c) A good time to be had by all.

Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
'Abstain'.

I'll go with the majority.
HJ M
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think anti-European is a terrible term for Eurosceptics. I love Europe, the people, the culture, the history and the diversity, I just hate the EU.
SciFiRory
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
aye, should be interesting
chrisawhitmore
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As a supporter of Europe, and thus a committed opponent of the EU, Aye.

Also, I'd contest that the house is far better capable of modelling the EU parliament than the UK parliament. After all, the average member is only on a few hours a week, the votes don't have any effect and we have no real democratic mandate. We model the EU parliament near perfectly.
Birchington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's a nice idea , but I don't personally see the point in holding an election if it doesn't change anything. Hence the no vote.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well done to the new member.
Jarred
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
The Ayes to the right: 25
The Noes to the left: 8
Abstentions: 9

So the Ayes have it, the Ayes have it. Unlock.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (35)
11.15%
I used to but I don't now (11)
3.5%
No, but I want to start (113)
35.99%
No, I am unable to (69)
21.97%
No, I chose not to (86)
27.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise