The Student Room Group

I do not know what I have to do ..??

Hi all ^^

I have been in London less than 2 years and my English still weak :frown:
Last year (year 11) I did my GCSE'S English, Maths and Science and I got D's so unfortunately I did not pass. This year I am re-taking my GCSE's ... I am doing English as second language .. Maths foundation and Double Science higher. My results for the mock exams were OK I got C's in Maths and English .. B's in Chemistry and Biology and A in Physics.

I am worry about my next year I do not know what to do ??. I am thinking to do Arabic, Maths, Physics and ICT A-level .. are they hard ?

As I said my English is poor so I don't know if it will be hard for me or not ??? Also my physics teacher told me if I wanna to do A-level physics I have to get at least B in maths 0_0 and I can not get B in maths because I am doing foundation.

I am really confused *_*
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1

If you can’t get a B in maths atGCSE I wouldn’t take it at A-level.
I got an A* at GCSE and got a U at AS.

Your English doesn't seem bad, but if you feel you are really struggling, maybe get a tutor to strengthen your English.

I have a friend who is Chinese and his English is not that good, but he has done well in Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths.

Try it and see, but ask for help if you need it.

Good luck :smile:
Original post by yoomi
Hi all ^^

I have been in London less than 2 years and my English still weak :frown:
Last year (year 11) I did my GCSE'S English, Maths and Science and I got D's so unfortunately I did no pass. This year I am re-taking my my GCSE's ... I am doing English as second language .. Maths foundation and Double Science higher. My results for the mock exams were OK I got C's in Maths and English .. B's in Chemistry and Biology and A in Physics.

I worry about my next year I do not know what to do ??. I am thinking to do Arabic, Maths, Physics and ICT A-level .. are they hard ?

As I said my English is poor so I don't know if it will be hard for me or not ??? Also my physics teacher told me if I wanna to do A-level physics I have to get at least B in maths 0_0 and I can not get B in maths because I am doing foundation.

I am really confused *_*

Your English really isn't bad at all. Your physics teacher may well be right, but to be sure you should get in touch with the college you want to go to and ask what their entry requirements are for the course (or just look in the prospectus). It might be that they say B or above but are willing to be flexible - especially if you prove in your GCSEs this year that you have the potential to get a B in maths, and the only thing holding you back was the fact you did the foundation paper.

As for taking maths A level, you have to understand what a big jump there is from GCSE level maths to A level. Especially as you haven't done higher GCSE maths. Don't get me wrong, it's a really great A level to take, but make sure you understand how much harder it'll be.

Is Arabic your first language? If so, an A level in it should be relatively easy, just be prepared to learn a load of grammar rules that you might not even know exist.

Does your college offer an A level in Computing? I'm speaking with bias here but it's a far more respected course than ICT, which is often seen as a soft subject. It's still a relative walk in the park if you're doing maths and physics alongside.
Reply 4
Why not try some extra-curricular activities which involve group work/communication? The best way to learn a language is be immersed in it, I book things like dance/cookery classes etc. for my clients and they always find it far more useful than ESOL. Find something you enjoy doing and do it as part of an english-speaking group.
Reply 5
Original post by Gene Lock

If you can’t get a B in maths atGCSE I wouldn’t take it at A-level.
I got an A* at GCSE and got a U at AS.

But I like maths :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by bubble999
Your English doesn't seem bad, but if you feel you are really struggling, maybe get a tutor to strengthen your English.

I have a friend who is Chinese and his English is not that good, but he has done well in Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths.

Try it and see, but ask for help if you need it.

Good luck :smile:

Thank you :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by yoomi
But I like maths :smile:

Maths is a huge step up from GCSE when you study it for A-Level. The start of AS maths is compared to being just above GCSE A* level. It is A LOT harder. If you struggle with maths now then it is unlikely you will get a good grade at A-Level.

Why are you only doing the foundation maths paper and not the higher paper?
Reply 8
Original post by benplumley
Your English really isn't bad at all. Your physics teacher may well be right, but to be sure you should get in touch with the college you want to go to and ask what their entry requirements are for the course (or just look in the prospectus). It might be that they say B or above but are willing to be flexible - especially if you prove in your GCSEs this year that you have the potential to get a B in maths, and the only thing holding you back was the fact you did the foundation paper.

As for taking maths A level, you have to understand what a big jump there is from GCSE level maths to A level. Especially as you haven't done higher GCSE maths. Don't get me wrong, it's a really great A level to take, but make sure you understand how much harder it'll be.

Is Arabic your first language? If so, an A level in it should be relatively easy, just be prepared to learn a load of grammar rules that you might not even know exist.

Does your college offer an A level in Computing? I'm speaking with bias here but it's a far more respected course than ICT, which is often seen as a soft subject. It's still a relative walk in the park if you're doing maths and physics alongside.

I know A-level will be much higher than GCSE but there is nothing to do.
Arabic is my first language and I am confident with it because I already knew lots of grammars so it will be easy for me .

I don't know about computing ? Is there difference between computing and ICT ? Last year I did ICT GCSE and I pass it and I think it's OK for me.

Thank you very very much :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Georgie_M
Why not try some extra-curricular activities which involve group work/communication? The best way to learn a language is be immersed in it, I book things like dance/cookery classes etc. for my clients and they always find it far more useful than ESOL. Find something you enjoy doing and do it as part of an english-speaking group.

I will try to do some :wink:
Thank you :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Paralove
Maths is a huge step up from GCSE when you study it for A-Level. The start of AS maths is compared to being just above GCSE A* level. It is A LOT harder. If you struggle with maths now then it is unlikely you will get a good grade at A-Level.

Why are you only doing the foundation maths paper and not the higher paper?

This is my question why am I doing foundation when my result is 94%. I told my maths teacher that I wanna to move the higher class and he said '' I will see''?? Then I told my tutor about this and she sent an email to the head of mathematics asking if I can do the higher paper and I am still waiting for the answer :confused:
Reply 11
Original post by yoomi
This is my question why am I doing foundation when my result is 94%. I told my maths teacher that I wanna to move the higher class and he said '' I will see''?? Then I told my tutor about this and she sent an email to the head of mathematics asking if I can do the higher paper and I am still waiting for the answer :confused:

Well your school evidently have it wrong if they are limiting you to the foundation!! Perhaps see if you can find some online past papers for higher and do them to see how you do?

Also if you do Arabic A-Level, some universities will not count it in their offer (if this is where you plan to go in future) because it is your first language.

Quick Reply

Latest