The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2016!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by riyav7
Hi,I'm so worried, I don't know if I even stand a chance for D100, I only got 5A's, 3B's, 2C's at GCSE, and got BBCC AS Level (But my predicted: AAB)
So far for work experience I have:
1 Week Stables...
2 Weeks 3 Days Small animal Vets ......
2 Weeks worth at a farm.....
5 Weeks, paid, at a Cattery.

Heya you would need to retake some modules or subjects and apply next year. Don't apply this year as you can only apply twice to each vet school and you would waste an application this year if you applied. GCSE wise you need to have A's in physics, chemistry, biology and maths for most unis so if your A's are in those you're ok.
There is no reason why you can't apply next year if you don't get the grades. I wold also work on getting some farm placements specifically for lambing and dairy.
But bear in mind veterinary is a challenging degree and if you are struggling at A level and GCSE a less academically demanding career may be better for you.
Original post by riyav7
Hi,I'm so worried, I don't know if I even stand a chance for D100, I only got 5A's, 3B's, 2C's at GCSE, and got BBCC AS Level (But my predicted: AAB)
So far for work experience I have:
1 Week Stables...
2 Weeks 3 Days Small animal Vets ......
2 Weeks worth at a farm.....
5 Weeks, paid, at a Cattery.

I'll keep this short because I seem to say this to a lot of people, in my first year I got BCEE, I did a third year to pull my grades up and I got three interviews and two offers this year. You can easily pull those Bs to As and C to a B (maybe even an A). Just choose which modules to resit carefully (eg. If a bigger module is seriously pulling your mark down, do that one, but if all your modules are a close match resit shorter/"easier" ones so you'll have less revision to do) & do a bit more work experience. However, really focus on pulling your grades up this year rather than doing loads of WEX or extra curriculars; you can always do a gap year to get more work experience but getting in will be a lot harder and more stressful if you don't get the grades
Hi, I've been on and off reading this thread for a while and although it's been making me feel so incredibly stressed at times about everything I have to think of to get my UCAS form written, revise for the BMAT etc. some of the advice on here has been really helpful and made me feel not so alone, so thank you.

I was just wondering if any of you knew what we should do with our references? I've been trying to collect feedback forms from the work experience placements I have been on over the last year and a half but I am unsure of what to do with them next. I've read some uni's prefer them sent to them before interview along with your UCAS number to be put in your portfolio and others prefer you to take them to interview with you? Is this correct? What have you guys done??
Original post by w0nderlanddream
Hi, I've been on and off reading this thread for a while and although it's been making me feel so incredibly stressed at times about everything I have to think of to get my UCAS form written, revise for the BMAT etc. some of the advice on here has been really helpful and made me feel not so alone, so thank you.

I was just wondering if any of you knew what we should do with our references? I've been trying to collect feedback forms from the work experience placements I have been on over the last year and a half but I am unsure of what to do with them next. I've read some uni's prefer them sent to them before interview along with your UCAS number to be put in your portfolio and others prefer you to take them to interview with you? Is this correct? What have you guys done??

If you get an interview at Liverpool, they want you to bring with you one reference each from a SA vet, a LA vet, an equine husbandry placement, a cat/dog husbandry placement and a farm. You'll receive more info from them directly :smile:

I was never asked for references from RVC, Bristol and Liverpool. I think some people sent them anyway, but it doesn't give you an advantage so I didn't bother :tongue: Can't speak for the other four unis but my general advice would be to not send them stuff they don't ask for. Will most likely end up in the bin.
Could anyone give advice on the pros and cons of Nottingham and Bristol? I am going to apply to Edinburgh, Glasgow and Liverpool as I am Scottish :smile: just unsure of my last choice :/ thanks in advance 😊
Original post by w0nderlanddream

I was asked to present references at My Surrey and Nottingham interviews, but I just took them along and I just needed references to show Id done at least 6 weeks, not a reference from all of the different placements. You have to take a reference from each place you did WEX at for Liverpool and just take them, with you to interview :h:
Hi,
I'm applying to Liverpool, bristol, Nottingham and Surrey this October. It would be really great if someone could share their experience at interviews I.e what kind of questions come up and how they prepared etc.
Thanks! :smile:
Hi everybody. I'm in year 11 right now and really want to get into veterinary medicine. Last year I did 2 weeks work experience at a farm and next week i'm going to start a weekly job at a cattery down my road. Any advice for what else i can do right now. And also does anyone have any info on sixth forms. I know i want to pick Biology and Chemistry. What should my last subject be? Do you only do 3 subjects? Any infomation you think that would be helpful would be appreciated.
Original post by LunaLovegood14
Hi,
I'm applying to Liverpool, bristol, Nottingham and Surrey this October. It would be really great if someone could share their experience at interviews I.e what kind of questions come up and how they prepared etc.
Thanks! :smile:

Hi,

I was interviewed at Liverpool and Bristol this year. Both use the MMI format, although Bristol also include a 20 minute panel interview.

I found that Bristol's MMIs focused on skills, while the panel interview focused on my experience. The MMIs included a practical task and a numeracy task, as well as a couple of 'what would you do in this situation' type stations. Use your common sense and just think how, in your opinion, a good vet would react (empathy, sticking to their level of competence etc). The panel interview just tore into my PS, as could be expected. If you go to VetQuest they give you last year's interview questions and they seem to be sticking to the same format.

At Liverpool there were more stations, and I felt I was questioned in much more depth. Stations were based on work experience, an ethical scenario, animal welfare, data handling (looking at a graph), expectations of the career, career exploration and extracurriculars (easy since they don't read your PS so you can just vomit it back up :tongue: )

There's no point in me going into too much detail, since they change every year, plus if any admissions tutors read stuff on here and think it offers an unfair advantage they can just change the interviews :tongue: It's really not necessary to do that much preparation, MMIs are tricky to prepare for since they're so specific. I'd suggest reading around on some current issues as well as legislation (5 freedoms, dangerous dogs act etc). Have a few case studies from work experience ready to talk about, and expect to be quizzed until you don't know the answers to their questions (I spoke about reconstructive surgery on a tortoise at my Liv interview... they ended up asking me which tortoise species are illegal to own in the UK, as if I knew :tongue: ). Know basic info from work experience (routine vaccinations are a must), and most of all don't get too stressed out!

Can't speak for Surrey and Notts since I didn't apply there.

Original post by idree5
Hi everybody. I'm in year 11 right now and really want to get into veterinary medicine. Last year I did 2 weeks work experience at a farm and next week i'm going to start a weekly job at a cattery down my road. Any advice for what else i can do right now. And also does anyone have any info on sixth forms. I know i want to pick Biology and Chemistry. What should my last subject be? Do you only do 3 subjects? Any infomation you think that would be helpful would be appreciated.

You'd made a great start on your work experience, good job. For more advice I'd suggest reading the 'Big and Shiny Work Experience Bible' stickied at the top of the forum. To put it simply though you want to cover as much ground as possible, so any animally work is a plus! At the very minimum I'd recommend doing work at a small animal vet practice, large animal vet practise, a stable, cat/dog husbandry and a commercial farm of sorts (e.g. dairy or lambing, preferably both). Other good placements to do are laboratories and abattoirs.

Regarding sixth form, biology and chemistry are required, so it's good you want to do them :tongue: ! Cambridge ask for either physics or maths in addition to these, but the others are less fussed about a third science provided you did well at GCSE. I'd recommend doing a subject you like and that you think you'll do well in. My third subject was physics which I really enjoyed but other people I know who got in did maths, English lit, geography, psychology... most subjects bar critical thinking and general studies are approved. All of the vet school A-Level requirements can be found on the Vet Resources Thread, also stickied at the top of the forum. In regard to the number of subjects, traditionally people took 4 at AS, dropping one after a year and continuing 3 to A2. This system is changing however, with AS and A-Level now being separate qualifications as I understand it.

Hope that helped! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by idree5

Hey there, well its seems you're already of to a good start! :biggrin:

With where to go next I would suggest looking into a small animal practice that might take you on, idealy you want at least two different vets practices by the time you apply and it's something you should be able to do in year 11.

Then it would be a good idea to look at the husbandry side which depends on what type of farm you were on to an extent. Ideally you need to be looking at dairy farms, sheep farms (at lambing time - I did mine in Y12 though but you could still do it in Y11), a stables/riding school and a kennels/rescue centre. These are the sorts of placements that are the "backbone" to your application and can lead on to more advanced/unusual ones e.g. after I'd been working with cattle for a year or so a deer farm allowed me to do work exerience there.

Now with regards to A-Levels unis are only really interested in 3 grades of which all unis require chem and bio but most people take 4. Your third choice really depends on where you want to apply, Cambridge prefer physics or maths whereas Liverpool prefer a non-science subject (my school contacted their addmissions about this but don't take it as gospel) but most don't mind - you're best looking into there individual requirements if you'd really like to go to a certain one or just thinking about the subjects you enjoy and will do best in.

Hope that helps and best of luck :biggrin:

*edit: It seems that Little Tail Chaser already beat me to it haha, take a good look at their advice as it's far more eloquent and comprehensive than mine :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanx for the reply Little Tail Chaser and Little Highland!!! I will definetly give that book a read and have already contacted vet surgery's in my area. However due to being 15 i have to wait till my 16th bday which is in march just before my exams. I've asked them if i can do a 3 week placement in july after my gcse's. Phew i dont have to do physics . This is the subject i really have to focus in to get any where because i find it so boring. I was looking in about psychology as i think I would find this interesting. As you both said its based on the uni itself. I would love to get into RVCS or Nottingham but as long as can do veterinary medicine i'm happy. Would Psychology be ok for these uni's or would maths and physics be a safer option? Again thanx for the reply!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by idree5
Thanx for the reply Little Tail Chaser and Little Highland!!! I will definetly give that book a read and have already contacted vet surgery's in my area. However due to being 15 i have to wait till my 16th bday which is in march just before my exams. I've asked them if i can do a 3 week placement in july after my gcse's. Phew i dont have to do physics . This is the subject i really have to focus in to get any where because i find it so boring. I was looking in about psychology as i think I would find this interesting. As you both said its based on the uni itself. I would love to get into RVCS or Nottingham but as long as can do veterinary medicine i'm happy. Would Psychology be ok for these uni's or would maths and physics be a safer option? Again thanx for the reply!!

Great to hear you've already made contact with a few places, best of luck with securing a placement there. The 16 thing is a pain but it's something that everyone faces unfortunately. It's often due to insurance and such so everyone's hands are tied. Just wait until you're 16, then everyone will ask you to be 18 for a placement :wink:

The RCVS is different to the RVC :wink: , but psychology would be fine for both of them :yep: A third science doesn't offer any advantage for anywhere other than Cambridge, so if you really dislike them then don't bother. I was indifferent about maths, took it to look 'academic' or whatever, hated it, ended up scraping an E and dropping it after AS :tongue: . Take subjects you'll enjoy :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Ok i'll definitely be considering psychology then. I wasn't aware that RVCS is different to RVC. Could you maybe explain the differences for me?
Original post by idree5
Ok i'll definitely be considering psychology then. I wasn't aware that RVCS is different to RVC. Could you maybe explain the differences for me?

Psychology is cool :smile: Also, for my biology syllabus at least there was a bit of crossover between psychology and biology A2 (there was a chunk on animal behaviour). Can't guarantee that that will still be the case, but something to consider anyway :smile:

RVC is the Royal Veterinary College, the vet school that's part of the University of London. RCVS is the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons, the organisation that manages the list of vets who can legally practice in the UK, writes the code of conduct for vets, accredits vet schools so that graduates are qualified to practice, etc. I think you just mixed the two abbreviations together :wink:
Hello fellow (prospective and current) vet med students!:ciao:
I'm about to go into my second year of sixth form and start A2s. Basically, I've had a massive panic as some of my work experience placements fell through over the summer so I've not got sufficient w/e to apply (just about scraped 6 weeks).
As a result I'm going to be doing a gap year in order to gain a lot of varied experience and hopefully a long term placement.
I was wondering if I should: apply for deferred entry despite lacking sufficient w/e so I can see how the process works and get some feedback form the unis OR not apply now and just apply next year at the start of my gap year so I can focus on exams?
Any advice would be VERY VERY VERY much appreciated!!
Original post by thatdannigirl
I'm about to go into my second year of sixth form and start A2s. Basically, I've had a massive panic as some of my work experience placements fell through over the summer so I've not got sufficient w/e to apply (just about scraped 6 weeks).
As a result I'm going to be doing a gap year in order to gain a lot of varied experience and hopefully a long term placement.
I was wondering if I should: apply for deferred entry despite lacking sufficient w/e so I can see how the process works and get some feedback form the unis OR not apply now and just apply next year at the start of my gap year so I can focus on exams?

Helloooo. Sorry to hear that some of your placements fell through, that sucks :frown: While I do know of someone that got an offer this year with six weeks of weeks of wex, I'd definitely agree that sadly it isn't really enough for a strong application.

I won't give you an opinion either way as it's your choice, but here are some things to consider:

Some vet schools limit the number of times you can reapply, so definitely look into that before you submit an application. Off the top of my head Nottingham don't allow reapps that were interviewed and RVC won't accept more than two applications but you'll have to look up the others.

Where would you want to apply? If RVC or Cambridge, then consider that you'll probably have to pay to take the BMAT, which could end up being a waste if you don't think your app will be good enough work experience wise. Might be a good chance to practice it however, even though loads of past papers are online.

As far as having a gap year goes, that's cool and a lot of vets take them but I'm not sure why you'd bother applying for deferred entry if you didn't want one for anything other than work exp? If you have fairly little work experience then they won't accept you based on work experience you say you'll do in a gap year. How could they enforce that after giving you an offer? Even for deferred entry they expect you to have done the work before you apply.

In terms of interfering with exams, you don't need to worry about that. I submitted my application last year, had all my interviews by February and received my last response by March. After interviews are done you don't need to do anything, and the latest ones happened in March so that's plenty of time before exam season starts.

I'm not going to deny that it would be helpful to try out the application process this year before getting some more experience and having a more serious bash next time, especially for unis that have funky forms and questionnaires to fill in. Just make sure you realise any implications it'll have on future applications, as well as how much time and money it might use.
(edited 8 years ago)

I agree with LTC, on one hand applying for deferred entry will give you some knowledge of the application for the second time round (if you're unsucessful) but you might risk wasting an application. Ultimately, it's up to you but before you decide do your research; some vet schools won't allow you to apply for deferred entry at all. If you do apply this year, just make sure you put in your PS and make very clear that you're planning on doing a gap year and explain what you're planning on doing- you just have to be organised with your gap year plans :smile:
Also, the application process doesn't really interfere with exams but I did miss a couple of lessons because I had to travel so far for mine, but it didn't interefere with my grades. I understand what you mean though, I did a third year so applied already having two A levels which I think did help. But as long as your predicted grades are good there's no need to worry
(edited 8 years ago)

Hey,
I have just finished my A2's and I am applying in October (start of my gap year) I was in a similar position to you as I really wanted to gain more work experience before applying and wanted to focus on getting the grades! I am so glad I did this now bc at the end of the day you will know your grades before you apply-automatically making you a less 'risky' candidate than someone who only has predicted grades. Also, some unis actually take planned work experience into account (though you should probably get more for the summer of year 13 aswell as in your gap year so that you can talk about it in your ps/at interview)
I would personally not recommend deferred entry because you will only have predicted grades and will therefore be competing with people taking gap years who already know what their grades are.
Hope this helped!
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Hi,

I was interviewed at Liverpool and Bristol this year. Both use the MMI format, although Bristol also include a 20 minute panel interview.

I found that Bristol's MMIs focused on skills, while the panel interview focused on my experience. The MMIs included a practical task and a numeracy task, as well as a couple of 'what would you do in this situation' type stations. Use your common sense and just think how, in your opinion, a good vet would react (empathy, sticking to their level of competence etc). The panel interview just tore into my PS, as could be expected. If you go to VetQuest they give you last year's interview questions and they seem to be sticking to the same format.

At Liverpool there were more stations, and I felt I was questioned in much more depth. Stations were based on work experience, an ethical scenario, animal welfare, data handling (looking at a graph), expectations of the career, career exploration and extracurriculars (easy since they don't read your PS so you can just vomit it back up :tongue: )

There's no point in me going into too much detail, since they change every year, plus if any admissions tutors read stuff on here and think it offers an unfair advantage they can just change the interviews :tongue: It's really not necessary to do that much preparation, MMIs are tricky to prepare for since they're so specific. I'd suggest reading around on some current issues as well as legislation (5 freedoms, dangerous dogs act etc). Have a few case studies from work experience ready to talk about, and expect to be quizzed until you don't know the answers to their questions (I spoke about reconstructive surgery on a tortoise at my Liv interview... they ended up asking me which tortoise species are illegal to own in the UK, as if I knew :tongue: ). Know basic info from work experience (routine vaccinations are a must), and most of all don't get too stressed out!

Can't speak for Surrey and Notts since I didn't apply there.

You'd made a great start on your work experience, good job. For more advice I'd suggest reading the 'Big and Shiny Work Experience Bible' stickied at the top of the forum. To put it simply though you want to cover as much ground as possible, so any animally work is a plus! At the very minimum I'd recommend doing work at a small animal vet practice, large animal vet practise, a stable, cat/dog husbandry and a commercial farm of sorts (e.g. dairy or lambing, preferably both). Other good placements to do are laboratories and abattoirs.

Regarding sixth form, biology and chemistry are required, so it's good you want to do them :tongue: ! Cambridge ask for either physics or maths in addition to these, but the others are less fussed about a third science provided you did well at GCSE. I'd recommend doing a subject you like and that you think you'll do well in. My third subject was physics which I really enjoyed but other people I know who got in did maths, English lit, geography, psychology... most subjects bar critical thinking and general studies are approved. All of the vet school A-Level requirements can be found on the Vet Resources Thread, also stickied at the top of the forum. In regard to the number of subjects, traditionally people took 4 at AS, dropping one after a year and continuing 3 to A2. This system is changing however, with AS and A-Level now being separate qualifications as I understand it.

Hope that helped! :smile:

That's really helpful thank you!
Also, I'm aware that most universities send a work experience form if you are successful in the first application stage. Could someone please explain What this form is like? Is work experience measured in days, i.e would monday-Friday be considered a week or not?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending