LuceBear
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello my lovely people of the Student Room.
Well, I am in year 11 working towards GCSEs. My predicted grades are 2 A*s and 8 As. I go to my local state school. So far for A level I have considered: English Lit, Economics, History and Sociology.
English Lit bevause I thoroughly enjoy the subject, Economics because I want to have more insight to the world around me and Sociology because I love the nature of the subject.
However, History is the one that's really causing doubt. I love the subject, I know the evaluation and interpretation skills are well respected. However, obviously there is a stark contrast with GSCE and A level. I'm really doubting whether I would enjoy it. I've considered RS too, but I am really keen on taking two facilitating subjects. Also, I enjoy Drama but I decided I can't have both Drama and Sociology. Anyone who has taken any of those A levels, please, give me information and tell me your experiences/what you think would be best.
Ladean123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I take sociology and it is an amazing subject, you really start to question everything in the world after youve been in a lesson. I love it and would reccommend it to anyone because its extremely interesting. I also do economics which im not too keen on because of my poor maths and statistics skills making it slightly harder for me as theres millions of graphs. I havent done the others but i think history and english would go very well together and unis LOVE them because theyre traditional A levels!
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by LuceBear)
Hello my lovely people of the Student Room.
Well, I am in year 11 working towards GCSEs. My predicted grades are 2 A*s and 8 As. I go to my local state school. So far for A level I have considered: English Lit, Economics, History and Sociology.
English Lit bevause I thoroughly enjoy the subject, Economics because I want to have more insight to the world around me and Sociology because I love the nature of the subject.
However, History is the one that's really causing doubt. I love the subject, I know the evaluation and interpretation skills are well respected. However, obviously there is a stark contrast with GSCE and A level. I'm really doubting whether I would enjoy it. I've considered RS too, but I am really keen on taking two facilitating subjects. Also, I enjoy Drama but I decided I can't have both Drama and Sociology. Anyone who has taken any of those A levels, please, give me information and tell me your experiences/what you think would be best.
I did sociology A-LEVEL. I also did it at gcse. I loved it. I found it really interesting. I really enjoyed doing sociology. At a-level, its a bit similar to gcse, but theres a couple of new topics in there and you do things in more detail, which makes things more interesting. Id definately recommend it.
I havent done any of the others that you are considering, but i agree with what the person above said about english lit and history both being respected and both going together well. If uoi arent 100% sure about history, it might be worth considering geography. It might not go with english it as well as history, but It is also a well respected subject. I also found it really interesting at a-level. Like sociology, some topics where similar to gcse and some where different. But things where in more detail, which only made it more interesting.
Ruthey
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey,
What I'd say is that I have a lot of friends doing both history and sociology and are struggling with the workload and amount of essays. If you're good at writing essays it will be much easier but I'm finding the sheer amount of knowledge you're given difficult to remember (although I do have mild long term memory issues) - it is interesting and you learn a lot of things relevant to today's society which is great - good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (438)
56.3%
I don't have everything I need (340)
43.7%

Watched Threads