The Student Room Group

FP4 Vectors question

A = (3, -4, 1) B = (2, 1, -3)

Find an equation of the line AB in the form (r - u) x v = 0

My teacher went over it for like 2 minutes at the end of the lesson so I'm not too sure how to go about it.
Reply 1
Original post by Khallil
In general a line defined by two points, AA and BB, where OA=a\vec{OA} = \vec{a} and OB=b\vec{OB} = \vec{b}, has starting point AA and direction ABAB.

If we let AB=AO+OB=ba=c\vec{AB} = \vec{AO} + \vec{OB} = \vec{b} - \vec{a} = \vec{c}, the equation of the line can be written as:

r=OA+λ(AB)=a+λ(ba)=a+λc\begin{aligned} \vec{r} & = \vec{OA} + \lambda \left( \vec{AB} \right) \\ & = \vec{a} + \lambda \left( \vec{b} - \vec{a} \right) \\ & = \vec{a} + \lambda \vec{c} \end{aligned}

After a bit of rearranging and taking the vector product of the equality with c\vec{c} gives:

Unparseable latex formula:

\vec{r} - \vec{a} = \lamda \vec{c} \ \implies \left( \vec{r} - \vec{a} \right) \times \vec{c} = \vec{c} \times \vec{c}

c×c=0, (ra)×c=0\because \vec{c} \times \vec{c} = 0, \ \left( \vec{r} - \vec{a} \right) \times \vec{c} = 0

Ahh right, so it's just another form of writing a line? So in this case it would be (r - (3, -4, 1)) x (-1, 5, -4) = 0?
Reply 2
Original post by Khallil
Precisely! :biggrin:

Great, thanks a lot for the explanation, that was very helpful! Neither my teacher nor the textbook explained it as well.
Reply 3
Original post by Khallil
No problem! I'm glad you get it!

Can you help me out with another? I've done most of it and it looks significantly easier haha.

a = (2, 3, 1) b = (1, 1, -5) c = (1, 4, 28)

I worked out a.b to be 0, axb to be (-16, 11, -1), and a.(bxc) to be 0.

Now it asks for the geometrical relationship between:
a, b, and axb
a, b and c

I think for the second bit they're all coplanar as the volume is 0 and hence they're all at the same 'height', as it were. Any idea what the first question means?
Reply 4
Original post by Khallil
The vector product of two vectors a\vec{a} and b\vec{b}, a×b\vec{a} \times \vec{b}, gives another vector that is perpendicular to both a\vec{a} and b\vec{b}. Since you've found that ab=0\vec{a} \cdot \vec{b} = 0 and both a\vec{a} and b\vec{b} are non-zero, this leaves us with the fact that the angle, θ\theta, between a\vec{a} and b\vec{b} is 90 degrees so they are perpendicular to each other. This means that they form a right handed set like the Cartesian (positive xx, yy and zz) axes. I think...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Right yeah, I ended up getting it after a bit :P. They're all perpendicular to each other.
Reply 5
Original post by Khallil
That's good! Vectors can be pretty darn tricky when you're trying to visualise them :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Absolutely, I find them very tricky. I'm sure they're all that could stop me from getting 87 in C4 and that A* in Maths.
Reply 6
Original post by Khallil
Which exam board are you on?

I thought that the vectors in C4 were primarily the scalar product and it's applications.

I'm guessing you got 93 in C3 then?

AQA, and yeah we only cover scalar product but visualising it all is still fairly challenging for me. And yep, 93 in C3.
Reply 7
Original post by Khallil
Remember that the scalar product of two vectors a\vec{a} and b\vec{b} is the projection of a\vec{a} onto b\vec{b}.

It's all a bit like resolving a vector into its components :smile:

That's a nice score! Are you applying to university this year?

Hmm, I'll keep that in mind :smile:

And yep. Applied for Computer Science. Offers from Imperial, Warwick, Southampton and Manchester, got rejected at interview from Oxford. Are you at university?
Reply 8
Original post by Khallil
Nice! I'm on my gap year at the moment. Takin' it easy :smile:

Ahh sweet, have you already got places anywhere? I may consider taking a gap year if I get better than expected grades, possibly to apply for Maths this time as I'm not sure if I'd love CS.

Quick Reply

Latest