Descartes's Theory of Planetary Motion

Watch
Fryschia
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey,

Can anyone explain Descartes's theory of planetary motion in our solar system in a simple, easy way, please?

Thank you in advance
Mr M
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Fryschia)
Hey,

Can anyone explain Descartes's theory of planetary motion in our solar system in a simple, easy way, please?

Thank you in advance
He thought the universe was filled with some sort of fluid called the ether. As planets moved through the ether they would create vortices and whirlpools that would perpetuate their motion. He thought gravity was like the tendency for an object to flow towards the centre of a whirlpool in water on Earth. He tried to involve magnetism as well by giving the vortices poles. That's surely all you need to know.
Fryschia
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Mr M)
He thought the universe was filled with some sort of fluid called the ether. As planets moved through the ether they would create vortices and whirlpools that would perpetuate their motion. He thought gravity was like the tendency for an object to flow towards the centre of a whirlpool in water on Earth. He tried to involve magnetism as well by giving the vortices poles. That's surely all you need to know.
Thank you so much I understand it so much better now!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (54)
16.88%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (91)
28.44%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (120)
37.5%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.75%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.44%

Watched Threads