The Student Room Group

Internship payment structure

These may seem like questions with obvious answers to some but I'm interested all the same. Wondered if anyone knew how the payment structure for IB summer interns worked.

is it weekly, monthly, all at once at beginning/end?

also, I've seen conflicting stories on the tax issue. if you were getting £45,000 pro rota, do you get any income tax taken from that? i understand we will have to pay national insurance but £45k for 10 weeks is just over £8600 which is under the income tax threshold, so will we be fine on the income tax front or will we be taxed then have to claim back on the rebate next year?

really hope we dont have to rebate it. hopefully banks have provisions in place to make sure we dont have to pay income tax
Reply 1
Original post by TheCityBoy
These may seem like questions with obvious answers to some but I'm interested all the same. Wondered if anyone knew how the payment structure for IB summer interns worked.

is it weekly, monthly, all at once at beginning/end?

also, I've seen conflicting stories on the tax issue. if you were getting £45,000 pro rota, do you get any income tax taken from that? i understand we will have to pay national insurance but £45k for 10 weeks is just over £8600 which is under the income tax threshold, so will we be fine on the income tax front or will we be taxed then have to claim back on the rebate next year?

really hope we dont have to rebate it. hopefully banks have provisions in place to make sure we dont have to pay income tax

Your contract should say when you get paid: it's most likely monthly.

Yes, there is no tax code for "students doing summer jobs" anymore. You'll be taxed and then have to claim the rebate.
Original post by Wathen
Your contract should say when you get paid: it's most likely monthly.

Yes, there is no tax code for "students doing summer jobs" anymore. You'll be taxed and then have to claim the rebate.

Precisely this. You'll probably be taxed as if you were a full-time employee and PAYE, and you'll need to claim this back yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending