The Student Room Group

Oxford Brookes?

I have an unconditional to study Politics/ IR, the course looks really interesting and of course, Oxford itself is beautiful. But I'm fully aware of all the comments on here about ex-polys and how anyone who studies at these places, studies a joke subject and is confined to a life unemployment. But is Oxford Brookes, as a modern university considered fairly decent?
Original post by pink pineapple
I have an unconditional to study Politics/ IR, the course looks really interesting and of course, Oxford itself is beautiful. But I'm fully aware of all the comments on here about ex-polys and how anyone who studies at these places, studies a joke subject and is confined to a life unemployment. But is Oxford Brookes, as a modern university considered fairly decent?

Plenty of people who attended ex-poly;s (Even London Met, the worst University in the country) still get decent jobs, IE solicitors etc.

In most professions it ISN'T about which university you attended. It matters more about your grade. With that said, more and more firms these days are attempting to remove bias from the recruitment process by not wanting to know which university one attended.
Original post by Knalchemist
Plenty of people who attended ex-poly;s (Even London Met, the worst University in the country) still get decent jobs, IE solicitors etc.

In most professions it ISN'T about which university you attended. It matters more about your grade. With that said, more and more firms these days are attempting to remove bias from the recruitment process by not wanting to know which university one attended.

Even if I wanted to do something with politics? I don't want to go into party politics but I want to go into something like research.
Even if I wanted to do something with politics? I don't want to go into party politics but I want to go into something like research.

I honestly don't think it matters too much which University you attended.

If the most competitive professions are turning a blind eye to which universities people attend, then I'm sure the less competitive aren't too fussed either.
Oxford Brookes is one of the best ex-polys, though it isn't particularly noted for it's politics department. That's not to say it's bad, but it's just not the jewel in its crown either.

What are your other choices? If you want to develop a career in politics, Hull and Leeds about as good as it gets, for instance, because they both have well established internship schemes. Talking of which, take a look at the Speaker's Parliamentary Placement Scheme, which may be of interest.

However, this
the course looks really interesting
is a very, very important point, and is a big plus point for Brookes.
Original post by Origami Bullets
Oxford Brookes is one of the best ex-polys, though it isn't particularly noted for it's politics department. That's not to say it's bad, but it's just not the jewel in its crown either.

What are your other choices? If you want to develop a career in politics, Hull and Leeds about as good as it gets, for instance, because they both have well established internship schemes. Talking of which, take a look at the Speaker's Parliamentary Placement Scheme, which may be of interest.

However, this is a very, very important point, and is a big plus point for Brookes.

I'm thinking of doing a masters after (obviously I know it's a long way off and I have to do well in degree first!) but I've done my A-levels already so all of my offers are unconditional. Plus Brookes is probably the best out of all of my offers and I'm not really that keen on the other places, location-wise and the course.
And I guess you're right, the most important part is the course, looking at the course I feel like I can really succeed at it and I wouldn't want to go somewhere with no interest in the course, purely because the university is seen as better. Also the chances are if I wasn't enjoying it, I probably wouldn't do that well.
I'm thinking of doing a masters after (obviously I know it's a long way off and I have to do well in degree first!) but I've done my A-levels already so all of my offers are unconditional. Plus Brookes is probably the best out of all of my offers and I'm not really that keen on the other places, location-wise and the course.
And I guess you're right, the most important part is the course, looking at the course I feel like I can really succeed at it and I wouldn't want to go somewhere with no interest in the course, purely because the university is seen as better. Also the chances are if I wasn't enjoying it, I probably wouldn't do that well.

In that case, it sounds like you're making a well informed, sensible decision to go to Brookes :yep:
If Brookes was in any other city it would be looked upon more favourably, it is one of the best ex-polys but most of the time when it's put down it is being compared with Oxford University.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending