Year11guy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I did my GCSE Maths early so started Statistics last year. I don't really find it hard but it's quite boring. Is the actual exam hard? Im buying a CGP revision guide for it as my knowledge from school is a bit patchy. Anyone who's done the test have any input? Also, we're doing some C/W which I have no idea on. How is the C/W done? typed up? Once I know the formulae for spearmans rank coefficent and stuff, it's quite easy. Are we required to remember them?
ps1265A
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I did Statistics in year 10 with Edexcel.

I agree that it's boring, but personally, I found it difficult because of the load of of content and the lengthy written answers! But I think the factor of me leaving revision for one month before the exam was not a good idea.
I revised a lot (and I mean a lot) to get a good grade. I did all of the past papers and read through the entire revision guide.
It's just about practice, and it's good that you've started revising a few months before the summer exams.

And coursework is pretty simple. There is a word limit, but put in everything you've got! When I did it, the graphs were made on the computer and everything was typed up.

If you need any help or want to ask any more questions regarding the course, feel free to ask!
Year11guy
Rep:
?
Thanks, what was your grade (I'm aiming for A*)? Also, what was your C/W topic? Mine's about film budgets/profits
alow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Boring, yes. Difficult, no.
imjustnotnormal
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I did it last year, it's much simpler than maths. The exam is not that difficult and if you revise you can easily get an A*. I got an A last year, it would have been an A* if my teacher hadn't forgotten to teach us some of the topics

I would recommend trying to get as high as you can in the exam as the coursework can bring you down a grade or two. Don't rely on the grade you teacher says you got on the coursework when you complete it, as moderation can bring it down by a lot. My class's coursework was moderated down by 7 marks which meant a lot of us didn't get the overall grades we were hoping to get.
Old_Simon
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Precise statements as to what formula you need to remember and what are in the formula handbook are both contained in the board subject specification. You need and are entitled to a copy of both throughout your course. The first question you need to ask when you encounter a formula is whether it will be given or whether it is one the unit requires you to remember (not that there ever are many). The formula sheet/handbook is a mission critical tool to use.
swanderfeild
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Its kinda long but not really hard.
For the exam, I guess best tip is to understand the content and memorise the formulas (I think they give you some but if I remember it correctly, teachers give you simpler versions).
Doing well in coursework is easier though, atleast if you have nice teacher. You type it all up and do the graphs etc on computer. Try to finish it as easily as possible (dont compromise quality for this though) and get close to your teacher. If you ask nicely (and early enough), they will review it before you actually have to submit it (mine did that for me anyway) so you can edit it to their spec and get full marks. This helps push up the grades massively in the end.
Year11guy
Rep:
?
how much is CW worth of the overall grade?
swanderfeild
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Year11guy)
how much is CW worth of the overall grade?
I think it was around 25% of overall grade...
Old_Simon
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by swanderfeild)
Its kinda long but not really hard.
For the exam, I guess best tip is to understand the content and memorise the formulas (I think they give you some but if I remember it correctly, teachers give you simpler versions).
Doing well in coursework is easier though, atleast if you have nice teacher. You type it all up and do the graphs etc on computer. Try to finish it as easily as possible (dont compromise quality for this though) and get close to your teacher. If you ask nicely (and early enough), they will review it before you actually have to submit it (mine did that for me anyway) so you can edit it to their spec and get full marks. This helps push up the grades massively in the end.
CW being "reviewed" ? No wonder there is grade inflation.
swanderfeild
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Old_Simon)
CW being "reviewed" ? No wonder there is grade inflation.
I think proper term is draft coursework...
I thought it was pretty much the standard for every coursework as long as you give them advance notice of a month or two.
ennahaspatience
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The coursework is annoying and so boring!! it is distracting my revision for other subjects
Carrot_Cake_13
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think proper term is draft coursework...
I thought it was pretty much the standard for every coursework as long as you give them advance notice of a month or two.
Do you do the Course Work in Year 10? Oh, and how long did it take for you to do the Course Work?
swanderfeild
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Carrot_Cake_13)
Do you do the Course Work in Year 10? Oh, and how long did it take for you to do the Course Work?
Yea for ICT and Stats for year 10.
I finished ICT by late January and Stats by early March; so there was few months to review and improve the work at the end.
Carrot_Cake_13
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yea for ICT and Stats for year 10.
I finished ICT by late January and Stats by early March; so there was few months to review and improve the work at the end.
I'm currently doing a CA in ICT (Year 10) and I'm still on the Implementation stage....

I'm studying Stats aswell but my teacher hasn't mentioned anything about the Courswork part of it.

So did you spend a few moths on the courswork for Stats?
swanderfeild
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm currently doing a CA in ICT (Year 10) and I'm still on the Implementation stage....
I think it is different ICT boards; for us we didn't have implementation part. It was just mundane file management, email, MS word stuff except one unit where we did multimedia advert.

I'm studying Stats aswell but my teacher hasn't mentioned anything about the Courswork part of it.
So did you spend a few moths on the courswork for Stats?
Yea, about few month or so outside of class (actual class time devoted to coursework was quite low actually, excluding the controlled parts and introduction there were only one week where we did the work in class).
Basically, we started stats in January after finishing normal maths and she started by going through coursework stuff. We skimmed through the materials quite quickly and by second week we already did the planning. That meant, we could get started on the coursework while we went back and did the course properly.

Why dont you go up to the teacher and ask him (her) about the coursework? Just say you were reading up on the specifications and noticed something about the coursework and were wondering when it would be started. They will be plesently surprised that you have done the research on the course...
ps1265A
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thanks, what was your grade (I'm aiming for A*)? Also, what was your C/W topic? Mine's about film budgets/profits
I got an A* in the end.

And imjustnotnormal is completely spot on. Give it your all in the exam and don't rely on the coursework grade your teacher tells you.

I scrapped an A in my coursework and I hit around the 90s in the exam.
Year11guy
Rep:
?
(Original post by ps1265A)
I got an A* in the end.

And imjustnotnormal is completely spot on. Give it your all in the exam and don't rely on the coursework grade your teacher tells you.

I scrapped an A in my coursework and I hit around the 90s in the exam.
Am I expected to learn formulas such as Spearman's rank co-efficient?
imjustnotnormal
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
the formula for spearman's rank will be in the paper but you should learn to do it without the formula because the when you're in the exam the formula might confuse you
ps1265A
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
When you manage to get through a load of practice questions, I'm sure they'll just stick into your head. It's better memorizing formulae rather than relying on the paper.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (254)
57.21%
I don't have everything I need (190)
42.79%

Watched Threads