The Student Room Group

Never had a job

I'm 20 and am currently in university, but whenever i apply for jobs they reject me due to no experience. But i need experience to get a job :/
I just feel like a failure, and it's affecting other parts of my life too. I've been rejected for placements because of my lack of experience. I'm scared i'll never get a job, and even if i do i'm scared it will be a lame job working at McDonalds for the rest of my life.. :frown:

Sorry for the downer. Anyone else in a similar situation? Or advice?
Reply 1
You're in quite a pickle.
Reply 2
What kind of job are you looking for? You need to identify strengths and weaknesses you have to be able to tailor your CV for the job - e.g project work at school/college/uni :smile:
It doesn't matter even if it is McDonald's. If you can get a part time job whilst you're still at University whether it's retail or something of that level, it's all experience and it will pad up your CV a bit!
Reply 4
Original post by snowystarks
I'm 20 and am currently in university, but whenever i apply for jobs they reject me due to no experience. But i need experience to get a job :/
I just feel like a failure, and it's affecting other parts of my life too. I've been rejected for placements because of my lack of experience. I'm scared i'll never get a job, and even if i do i'm scared it will be a lame job working at McDonalds for the rest of my life.. :frown:

Jobs are really hard to come by, especially for young peoplewith little experience.
You should try some volunteering, I spent a yearvolunteering to teach disabled children to swim and then went on to volunteerat an elite performance swim squad. This allowed me to get to know everyone andonce I did my NPLQ I was offered a part time lifeguard job.
It’s very rare companies will employ you with littleexperience, I’ve had lots of interviews and even with a lot of experience it isstill had to get a job.
Keep applying for jobs and they say it gives a betterimpression if you go into the place and ask them in person as it shows yourdedication.
Reply 5
Original post by Sir Killalot
It doesn't matter even if it is McDonald's. If you can get a part time job whilst you're still at University whether it's retail or something of that level, it's all experience and it will pad up your CV a bit!

No wonder our country and economy are in a mess.
Original post by Old_Simon
No wonder our country and economy are in a mess.

Explain.
Reply 7
Explain.

I think that it is ridiculous that employers look for "work experience" ie slave labour at fast food joints and the like when interviewing graduates.
Reply 8
I've applied for a few volunteering positions but i would prefer one that's psychology related (my degree). The ones i want have vacancies, so i can't volunteer to the ones i want.. And jobwise i would apply for anything! Anything but the jobs where you only get paid for selling so many products. Unfortunately those are the only places that will give me an interview.
I think that it is ridiculous that employers look for "work experience" ie slave labour at fast food joints and the like when interviewing graduates.

The point I'm making is that this isn't too find out who is the best in terms of their University and their degree they received, but to find out who is more likely to contribute to the workplace.
They may have worked hard and got a first from a good University, but if they have little to no knowledge or what it's like to actually work than it could potentially lead to failure.
If I was an employer, I would definitely rather take on a graduate who's shown that they can hold down a job for a couple of years, even if it is in retail. References can show if they're reliable, hard working and an asset to a workforce.
It just makes more sense to hire somebody that you know is willing to work. If you get a 21 year old graduate who never has worked, it leads to questions. Why haven't they had a job? Are they lazy? Are they going to bail on me within a week if they can't handle it?
The point I'm making is that this isn't too find out who is the best in terms of their University and their degree they received, but to find out who is more likely to contribute to the workplace.
They may have worked hard and got a first from a good University, but if they have little to no knowledge or what it's like to actually work than it could potentially lead to failure.
If I was an employer, I would definitely rather take on a graduate who's show that they can hold down a job for a couple of years, even if it is in retail. References can show if they're reliable, hard working and an asset to a workforce.
It just makes more sense to hire somebody that you know is willing to work. If you get a 21 year old graduate who never has worked, it leads to questions. Why haven't they had a job? Are they lazy? Are they going to bail on me within a week if they can't handle it?

A graduate plus two years in retail ? pppfttttttttttttttttttttt

Why? Would you employ a graduate who thinks they're too good for such work?

If nothing else, it shows that the applicant can actually repeatedly turn up to the workplace on time, dressed appropriately, and perform a set of tasks and interact with customers/members of the public in an acceptable manner.
A graduate plus two years in retail ? pppfttttttttttttttttttttt

Think of it from an employers point of view and you know it makes sense.
Original post by Smack
Why? Would you employ a graduate who thinks they're too good for such work?

If nothing else, it shows that the applicant can actually repeatedly turn up to the workplace on time, dressed appropriately, and perform a set of tasks and interact with customers/members of the public in an acceptable manner.

Funny that most graduate schemes do not demand any such a thing. Generally if people do not appear on time and properly dressed they get fired. They do not two years flipping burgers to prove they are grown up.
Funny that most graduate schemes do not demand any such a thing. Generally if people do not appear on time and properly dressed they get fired. They do not two years flipping burgers to prove they are grown up.

Nowhere did I suggest that employers "demand" such a thing, nor that they need two years of retail experience...
Don't knock McDonalds. I know someone from my uni who worked there prior to and during university and got on to Civil Service fast stream.
Reply 16
Original post by snowystarks

It sucks to work for no money, or little money, but have you considered an internship? Also, you can try a temp agency. Do a lot of interview practice and get as many tips as possible. Also, remember that a big part of getting a job is networking. Just, keep trying and something will happen for you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending