The Student Room Group

Can I complete a degree, THEN apply for Med?

Okay, where to begin ...

I am currently in my 1st year at college completing 4 ASs. I am fairly confident that I can meet the average entry requirements for Med by the end of a2, BUT I have a problem. This problem goes beyond simply achieving 4 grade As/A*s etc.

I haven't got much work experience/ done any voluntary work at all. It's really beginning to frighten me. Let me tell you about my current progress:
I do one week work ex. at an old people's care home near to August.
I also MIGHT (not confirmed yet) be doing 1/2 weeks work ex. at a pharmacy near to August too. PS, Pharmacy is a little useless tbh.

I have done no voluntary work and considering I'm so far into the academic year, I feel like giving up looking for work ex etc. For this year and just focus on getting the grades I want.

Will it be okay if I completed a degree, say for example a biomedical degree, THEN applied for Med? That way, I have longer time to accumulate work ex etc.

My worry is, it may look a little unimpressive. Like, a little indecisive, or it may prove that I was not able to get in the first time etc.

Is this a good idea? Is taking a gap year a better idea? Can you give me as much advice as you possibly can? ALL advice is HUGELY appreciated.

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ibn_salim
Okay, where to begin ...

I am currently in my 1st year at college completing 4 ASs. I am fairly confident that I can meet the average entry requirements for Med by the end of a2, BUT I have a problem. This problem goes beyond simply achieving 4 grade As/A*s etc.

I haven't got much work experience/ done any voluntary work at all. It's really beginning to frighten me. Let me tell you about my current progress:
I do one week work ex. at an old people's care home near to August.
I also MIGHT (not confirmed yet) be doing 1/2 weeks work ex. at a pharmacy near to August too. PS, Pharmacy is a little useless tbh.

I have done no voluntary work and considering I'm so far into the academic year, I feel like giving up looking for work ex etc. For this year and just focus on getting the grades I want.

Will it be okay if I completed a degree, say for example a biomedical degree, THEN applied for Med? That way, I have longer time to accumulate work ex etc.

My worry is, it may look a little unimpressive. Like, a little indecisive, or it may prove that I was not able to get in the first time etc.

Is this a good idea? Is taking a gap year a better idea? Can you give me as much advice as you possibly can? ALL advice is HUGELY appreciated.

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why don't you just take this time now to find some relevant work experience to do during the summer holidays? You've got upwards of 2 months, I'm sure you could fit something in
Reply 2
I looked into the possibility of doing Med as a second degree.... The answer i came up with, It was going to be rather expensive as student finance won't help you out for your second degree. OUCH!!! i had absolutely 0 work experience at the end of year 13 (that year i applied for chemistry but then withdrew after realising that i wouldnt be able to afford to do medicine as a second degree) I am taking a gap year and have applied to study medicine starting in september.

the one thing i would say is you are much better off taking an extra year to get some experience (you might start it and love it... Or u might hate it, you dont know till you try) and making the right decision about which degree to do rather than jumping in and ending up with rather a large unexpected debt!!

im spending my gap year working as a care assistant at a local nursing home. Ive done everything from cleaning up sick to watching a catheter being changed. I absolutely love what Im doing and cant wait to start studying medicine!! Also the fact that i will b off to uni with some savings is a bonus too!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes you can apply for Postgrad Medical School, though your undergrad needs to be a relevant course. Mate of mine went the grad route having first done Biomedical science. Might be expensive though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Whats a year when we've got the rest of our lives?? And it certainly won't be a wasted year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Grim_Squeaker
Yes you can apply for Postgrad Medical School, though your undergrad needs to be a relevant course. Mate of mine went the grad route having first done Biomedical science. Might be expensive though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not true, some universities accept degrees that aren't science based.

Original post by KimbyJayne
I looked into the possibility of doing Med as a second degree.... The answer i came up with, It was going to be rather expensive as student finance won't help you out for your second degree. OUCH!!! i had absolutely 0 work experience at the end of year 13 (that year i applied for chemistry but then withdrew after realising that i wouldnt be able to afford to do medicine as a second degree) I am taking a gap year and have applied to study medicine starting in september.

the one thing i would say is you are much better off taking an extra year to get some experience (you might start it and love it... Or u might hate it, you dont know till you try) and making the right decision about which degree to do rather than jumping in and ending up with rather a large unexpected debt!!

im spending my gap year working as a care assistant at a local nursing home. Ive done everything from cleaning up sick to watching a catheter being changed. I absolutely love what Im doing and cant wait to start studying medicine!! Also the fact that i will b off to uni with some savings is a bonus too!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Graduate medicine is not only highly competitive(more so than undergrad) and very expensive. If you can get the grades for undergrad then do it. You've plenty of time to get work experience and if you're really that concerned you can take a gap year to get plenty of work experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Can you not get funding for postgrad medicine from Student Finance since it's an undergraduate degree?
Reply 7
Original post by KimbyJayne
I looked into the possibility of doing Med as a second degree.... The answer i came up with, It was going to be rather expensive as student finance won't help you out for your second degree.

Original post by LukeyJB
Can you not get funding for postgrad medicine from Student Finance since it's an undergraduate degree?

As far as I know, graduate entry medicine is funded by student finance and the NHS. However, there is a non-funded fee to pay at the very beginning (about £3000 I believe). Correct me if I'm wrong.
Reply 8
The following consists of pretty much just asking questions

Can I know what grades you achieved by the end of a2? And for what subjects? And by zero work ex, do you literally mean ZERO work ex?

Also, if I understood correctly, you DID get into med right? If so, how many offers did you get/ from how many Unis?

Was it had getting your nursing assistant placement? How would you have to be? Me being an August baby, I may be disadvantaged for my young age cause they often want 18 yr olds etc.

Did you do anything else to enhance your personal statement?

Forgive me for my curiosity, I want to learn as much as I can from your success! I hope you don't feel I'm just wasting your time; your help can really give me a brief idea of what I want to do!

Thanks a bundle!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
About my fourth paragraph:

Was it hard getting your nursing assistant placement?** how old would you have to be? ******

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by la95
As far as I know, graduate entry medicine is funded by student finance and the NHS. However, there is a non-funded fee to pay at the very beginning (about £3000 I believe). Correct me if I'm wrong.

The NHS will fund 3 of 4 of the year's fees but you will have to find the first £9000 upfront. You can also get a means-tested NHS bursary for those years but the amount you get depends on your income or your that of your parents' (which depends on whether they consider you an independent student). I think student finance will give you a reduced maintenance loan for all 4 years. You will still have to find a substantial amount of money for living costs.

As has already been said, graduate medicine is much more competitive than undergraduate. I REALLY wish I had applied as an undergraduate.

My advice would either be that you find some work experience during the summer or that your take a year out to do so. I really can't imagine why anyone would choose the graduate route.

Quick Reply

Latest