Help an American choose a London football club to follow

Watch
Skjellyfetti
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm going to be starting a masters program at UCL next year. I've followed the EPL pretty casually for the last few years -- enough to be vaguely familiar with the larger clubs. I love sports in the US... and one thing that really excites me about spending a year in the UK will be immersing myself in your football culture to whatever extent I'll be able to.

I'm not going to choose a club to "support" from afar... because that seems so arbitrary and fake. But, I would like to pick out a team from afar to follow the rest of this season to get more acquainted with the smaller clubs. So, I'm looking for any suggestions.

Location isn't a huge factor. UCL seems to be in the vacant center of football club geography in London and there's no obvious choice here.

Premier League isn't completely necessary... though, I think I'd prefer Premier or Championship so that I may be able to find streams of the games overseas. I could be convinced to support a lower division team, however.

I've definitely eliminated Chelsea, Arsenal, and Spurs as I don't want to jump on the bandwagon of a larger club... and I'd like to be able to afford to actually attend an occasional match.

I'm leaning toward QPR and West Ham -- mainly because I'm most familiar with these two clubs from Green Street Hooligans and The Four Year Plan. But, I'm completely open to any and all suggestions. Thanks!
Apocrypha
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Support Arsenal, use the excuse that they play beautiful football.

Then say youre not a glory hunter as we havent won anything for 8 years
Sir Fox
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Wait ... is this a question? The Gunners, of course!
So Instinct
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Fake for not supporting a local club?

**** off.
Manchester United
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Fulham.

Then you can take a picture with that Michael Jackson statue, assuming it's still there.
Swanbow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You'll choose Millwall if you know what's best for ya.
PiercingGlint".
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Wait, premier league isn't necessary, but it has to be in London?
Skjellyfetti
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by PiercingGlint".)
Wait, premier league isn't necessary, but it has to be in London?
I'd just prefer it to be in London or relatively close to London. It's not absolute.

I'd like to attend some matches, and if they're too far away from London I would probably be able to go to less.
Swifton
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Plymouth Argyle
username917703
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What's wrong with your local MLS team?

I would just pick the closest team to wherever you're gonna be living. Also keep in mind the Midlands is only an hour or so on the train from London and that's an area rich in footballing history, with a plethora of fantastic clubs.
username917703
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My suggestions if you're willing to hop on the train to the Midlands:

Wolverhampton Wanderers - good support, can check out the Black Country too, good club, won a load of stuff but currently in League One (third tier) so could do with your support. Tickets readily available and dirt cheap I'd imagine.

Walsall - as above but on a smaller scale, I feel sorry for them a bit. Could also check out the Black Country.

Coventry City - they've had a hard time recently and could probably do with some support. They play their home games in Northampton which is somewhat close to London but for a team so crap they have a nut case support so if you want to experience that sort of thing I would definitely look that way.

Don't forget you're not limited to just home games, all of these teams play away, and living in the London area they'll all be playing games in and around there several times a year.
Zürich
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Skjellyfetti)
I'm going to be starting a masters program at UCL next year. I've followed the EPL pretty casually for the last few years -- enough to be vaguely familiar with the larger clubs. I love sports in the US... and one thing that really excites me about spending a year in the UK will be immersing myself in your football culture to whatever extent I'll be able to.

I'm not going to choose a club to "support" from afar... because that seems so arbitrary and fake. But, I would like to pick out a team from afar to follow the rest of this season to get more acquainted with the smaller clubs. So, I'm looking for any suggestions.

Location isn't a huge factor. UCL seems to be in the vacant center of football club geography in London and there's no obvious choice here.

Premier League isn't completely necessary... though, I think I'd prefer Premier or Championship so that I may be able to find streams of the games overseas. I could be convinced to support a lower division team, however.

I've definitely eliminated Chelsea, Arsenal, and Spurs as I don't want to jump on the bandwagon of a larger club... and I'd like to be able to afford to actually attend an occasional match.

I'm leaning toward QPR and West Ham -- mainly because I'm most familiar with these two clubs from Green Street Hooligans and The Four Year Plan. But, I'm completely open to any and all suggestions. Thanks!
1)Forget everything you saw in Green St Hooligans immediately, thats more like a parody of hooligan culture than anything.

Support QPR mate. I went to school near the ground and used to attend matches with mates who were fans. Very decent group of fans who make a good atmosphere, very authentic club. Very old school and endearing stadium as well. Also based in Shepherds Bush which is much easier to get to than WHU.

Come on you RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS S!
economist2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Forget about football.Concentrate on your studies.Think about your future.
mikeyd85
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Chelsea. Just because Jose.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well fulham and west ham should be playing championship football next year so you can get really acquainted with small clubs. Tickets will be cheap and available so, you'll get to go to a lot matches. So just flick a coin.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Grim_Squeaker
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Crystal Palace.

AFC Wimbledon
Jjj90
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well done not jumping on the bandwagon!

(Original post by economist2)
Forget about football.Concentrate on your studies.Think about your future.
Yeah, because they're mutually exclusive...
ninuzu
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Palace have the best London fans IMO.
mrdoovde1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
So you want to support a small club that's in London?

In that case, I'd suggest Tottenham.
The Assassin
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Arsenal because they're the gunners and Americans love guns n shooting n stoof
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (71)
27.41%
No - I have already returned home (29)
11.2%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (54)
20.85%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (28)
10.81%
No - I live at home during term anyway (77)
29.73%

Watched Threads