Parents want me doing Medicine instead of Natural Sciences? Watch

TopOfParadise
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I want to study NatSci at Cambridge, but my parents say I will get unemployed there aren't many jobs that will require so many people with a NatSci degree, when I can go and do Medicine, become a doctor, have lots of career paths and earn wayyy more. They refuse to hear my side of it, and they shoot me down whenever I tell them something good about NatSci. My GCSEs may not be good enough for medicine (6A*s 5As) and I don't think I could cope with the workload, and a lot of better people at my school want to do medicine, so I will stand little chance. However, I do like NatSci, I find it extremely interesting but my parents seem to think I will get nowhere in life, or go work in the countryside somewhere with no means of getting anywhere.

I DO like medicine, I've been told many times by countless people that it would suit me, and it's very interesting, but it's just that I won't get in ... And I don't want to waste my time trying for something and get let down last minute. I know Medicine and NatSci are very different, I really need help here D: thanks!
Hippysnake
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Your grades are more than enough to get into the majority of medical schools. But I really would not bother pursuing medicine unless you are entirely certain that you want to do it, and that you'd have no regrets not pursuing NatSci (which ironically is more competitive to get into than medicine).

Don't focus on pleasing your parents. Good parents would support their children's decision to pursue their own education.
Sir Fox
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I really doubt you'll be unemployed with a NatScience degree from one of the best universities in the world, at least not if you get a decent grade and play your cards wisely (i.e. do some internships and preferably do not break down during job interviews).
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TopOfParadise)
I want to study NatSci at Cambridge, but my parents say I will get unemployed there aren't many jobs that will require so many people with a NatSci degree, when I can go and do Medicine, become a doctor, have lots of career paths and earn wayyy more. They refuse to hear my side of it, and they shoot me down whenever I tell them something good about NatSci. My GCSEs may not be good enough for medicine (6A*s 5As) and I don't think I could cope with the workload, and a lot of better people at my school want to do medicine, so I will stand little chance. However, I do like NatSci, I find it extremely interesting but my parents seem to think I will get nowhere in life, or go work in the countryside somewhere with no means of getting anywhere.

I DO like medicine, I've been told many times by countless people that it would suit me, and it's very interesting, but it's just that I won't get in ... And I don't want to waste my time trying for something and get let down last minute. I know Medicine and NatSci are very different, I really need help here D: thanks!
FIrstly your parents know nothing. A degree from Cambridge especially in a science subject is virtually a blank cheque.

Secondly medicine is not all it is cracked up to be. The pay is not brilliant unless you reach the top of the tree - which is after many years

Thirdly - if you think there will be less workload in Natural Sciences think again. My daughter studies maths and has far more work than the medics.
bramley
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do what you want to, (which is NatSci).
My granddad wanted me to become a doctor but I took a completely different path. I know I would have been absolutely miserable if I'd listened to other people.
At the end of the day you're the one who'll have to hack it as a doctor all your life, not your parents.
mrhedgehog
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ask your parents : Am I going to study the degree or you?
Cashmee
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Lol your parents sounds so typically asian no offence. :rolleyes:
Now back to topic, do what you want to do really, don't listen to your parents, because at the end of the day it is you that going to make the choice. Gradually your parents can't make those choices for you, so build your own path.
alicia2908
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Your grades will be well enough to be a viable candidate for medicine. People have gotten in with lower grades than you. But you need to make sure you have work experience and voluntary work. Also, make sure you smash your UKCAT next year (or BMAT depending on what unis you apply to) and apply smartly. Research unis thoroughly and see what they look at most when selecting their candidates and play to your strengths. This info can be found on the med school's website. Make sure you do well in AS this year so you are predicted good grades (and i don't mean AAA, you want to exceed their min requirements, so I'd say min A*AA for you to stand a good chance, but the more A* predictions for A levels you get, the better). If you want to do medicine and have a passion for it, you will work for it and stand a good chance. But don't do it just because your parents want you to. You'll only regret it and run into deep **** halfway through medical school when you realise this isn't something you enjoy. It's your life, not your parents'. Do what is right for you. No matter how hard it is to talk to them now, they will eventually come round. Good luck.
TopOfParadise
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thanks everyone! My parents are not saying they refuse to let me, but they strongly suggest I rethink and pursue either Medicine or Maths. They say the risk of doing maths is much less (they seem to think I have a terrible immune system and may die immediately when I come in contact with bacteria) but I really don't think that's how it works.

We've been having this argument for over a year, they won't back down and the school kind of need parents' agreement before they make anything final. They say compared to how well Medics and people doing Maths get paid, NatSci is nothing :/
AnharM
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Hippysnake)
Your grades are more than enough to get into the majority of medical schools. But I really would not bother pursuing medicine unless you are entirely certain that you want to do it, and that you'd have no regrets not pursuing NatSci (which ironically is more competitive to get into than medicine).
How is it more competitive to get into NatSci than Medicine? Medicine is by far the most competitive course to apply for (in the UK, not just Cambridge).
WednesdayAddams
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by squeakysquirrel)
FIrstly your parents know nothing. A degree from Cambridge especially in a science subject is virtually a blank cheque.

Secondly medicine is not all it is cracked up to be. The pay is not brilliant unless you reach the top of the tree - which is after many years

Thirdly - if you think there will be less workload in Natural Sciences think again. My daughter studies maths and has far more work than the medics.
I have a 2.1 NatSci degree from Cambridge and trust me, it is not a 'blank cheque' in this economy. It is, however, still an excellent thing to have on your CV, you just have to make sure you pad it out (internships, summer projects etc).

I agree with what you say about the workload. The NatSci workload is IMMENSE. It's very difficult to have any sort of life during the academic year. You will have more contact hours than anyone else and the same amount of independent learning to do. I'm not trying to put you off, I'm just letting you know what you'd be in for.

Ultimately I think you should do what you want. Going into medicine because of parental pressure is one of the worst reasons for doing it.
alcibiade
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks everyone! My parents are not saying they refuse to let me, but they strongly suggest I rethink and pursue either Medicine or Maths. They say the risk of doing maths is much less (they seem to think I have a terrible immune system and may die immediately when I come in contact with bacteria) but I really don't think that's how it works.

We've been having this argument for over a year, they won't back down and the school kind of need parents' agreement before they make anything final. They say compared to how well Medics and people doing Maths get paid, NatSci is nothing :/
You should do what you want to do, particularly if your parents will ultimately let you.
AnharM
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The money you earn doesn't necessarily depend on the degree you do. For doctors, ofcourse you have to do a Medicine degree. But for people who do a Mathematics degree, they go into the finance sector to get paid highly. And to get into Investment Banking for example, they don't really favour specific subjects, they look at your university more, then they look at your degree. And they would also know NatSci is a really difficult, demanding degree. So what I'm trying to say is that the money you'll earn after you graduate will depend on what sectors you apply to. A NatSci degree at Cambridge can take you from Banking to teaching to research etc.
dotty_but_good
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Don't decide to not do something because it is hard to get into, I decided to do engineering instead of maths and part of that was because I didn't think I would get into Oxford to do maths, and although I really enjoy engineering there are still times where I wonder what it would have been like if I had done maths.
Grim_Squeaker
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do the course YOU wish to do.
cookieesxo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Your GCSEs are good enough for medicine so I don't know what gave you that impression. And ultimately it's your life so do what you want to
Dinosaurus_Rex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

No no no, your parents are so naive. Any degree from cambridge is highly reputable, and NatSci is arguably the most difficult course you can get into. Graduates end up as research leaders or business owners to say the least.
If you really want to to NatSci, DO NATSCI! Theres no point going into a course knowing that you couldve been better off in another, and wasting a good few years. Its not your parents' life, its yours.

Medicine is not as glamorous as everybody perceives to be. Yes its a respected job. Yes, its a safe job. But it is VERY stressful.

Im applying to medicine this year, cause this is what Ive always wanted to do.
If you dont have the passion for medicine, dont do it. (dont judge me on this I havnt had experience but this is what every doctor has told me)
Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do what you're passionate about, seriously. Doing a degree that you don't really enjoy will be the death of you, I can almost guarantee it.
paradoxicalme
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's your life. And seriously, your parents are disappointed when you're going for science at Cambridge?! They deserve a kick in the balls.

That said, if you do want to go for medicine, you're good enough. You'll just need to start working on work experience soon.
Dr. Django
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Do whatever you want to, don't let others influence however...the notion that your grades and ability are not good enough for medicine but they are good enough for Cambridge is bizarre
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are cats selfish