LupaLuke
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I am in Sixth Form doing my AS Levels. I really hate my current sixth form and some of my teacher make me depressed. There is a school down the road who do the IB and It sounds so good but.... If it was you what would you pick? I have 1A 2Bs 3Cs and 4D*s. I am doing 4ASs and 2 GCSEs Math Resit Further Maths and English Lit.. So what should I do?? If I was dong the IB I would pick; Maths Studies; English Lit; Chemistry; Biology; French and Environmental Systems.
username47781
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Moved to the IB section
PenguinMumble
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The IB is a lot of hard work and much more demanding than A-Levels because of extra features like CAS, TOK and the EE. I'd advise you to look it up thoroughly to see if you're willing to take on the challenge If you do, it will definitely broaden your perspectives/enhance your thinking, writing and debating skills/give you new opportunities you may not have considered before. Also, it's very favorably looked on upon by universities abroad. The disadvantages are, of course, the grueling nature of the course.

As for your subjects, only you can decide what you'd enjoy and be willing to commit to. I take ESS and lit and both are interesting, thought-provoking subjects regarding math studies, only take it if you're absolutely sure you don't want a career involving math or are really weak in math. I've taken it due to the former, but do SL if you're not really sure.
ThatPrickImran
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you want my opinion, DON'T. I picked to do the IB instead of A-Levels and I must say it was one of the biggest mistakes I've ever made.

Posted from TSR Mobile
sofiapofia
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ThatPrickImran)
If you want my opinion, DON'T. I picked to do the IB instead of A-Levels and I must say it was one of the biggest mistakes I've ever made.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why was it a big mistake?
ThatPrickImran
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by sofiapofia)
Why was it a big mistake?
I've hated every moment of it. There is such a big workload at times it can be unmanageable. This doesn't mean A-Levels are easy. It's more manageable and enjoyable. Ultimately the decision lies with you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Midigi
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The IB is really good fun and demanding, I would thoroughly recommend it if you like learning and working hard as it is a lot of work! However it is a two year course so if you have already started a levels you would have to redo the year, also you have to make sure you choose subjects from the six blocks and I think that you don't have a individuals and society's section in your choices. I would look at the ib website before you make your decision
DeathByDice
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you can answer yes to all of the questions (in no particular order) below then I would go so far as to say that it wouldn't be cruel to allow you to consider the IB program.

1) Do you have absolutely no clue as to what you wish to do in the future?

2) Do eye bags suit your skin tone?

3) Does the word 'coursework' make you innards purr? How about 'deadlines' and 'sleep deprivation'?

4) Do you have opinions about everything?

5) Do you like the idea of losing all of your A Level friends within the first few months? (this is not an exaggeration- maybe maybe you'll last a year)

6) Do you detest the concept of a social life?

7) Are the academic articles found on JStor your staple reading supply?

8) Do you know what it's like to feel like a POW?

9) Are you prepared to accept no one understanding your pain? Actually no one understanding what true pain is at all?

10) Do you possess the skills to bull**** your way through anything?

11) Do you feel like constant inescapable stress would be an exciting addition to your life?

12) Are you prepared for universities to believe that a 7 in HL Maths is equivalent to an A in straight A Level Maths?

13) Do you have a (at least) second-story window-possessing bedroom, just in case?

14) Are you okay with having panic attacks whenever you see Hexagons in your future lifetime?

15) Do you know the basic concepts of philosophy, yet are willing to be stuffed with other idiots into a tiny room to 'think about your life', and nod and appreciate all the stupidities you all have to say in the name of 'TOK'?

16) Do you have anger management under control?

17) Does the time 3AM sound like a familiar friend?

18) Have you researched what CAS and the Extended Essay are and how THEY WILL DESTROY YOUR LIFE? And for the former, are you prepared to write about 'how I've grown' every time you complete an activity?

19) Are you perfect? Answer truthfully.

20) Do you fancy coming out of school cleverer, more hardworking, wittier, more experienced and with more offers than any A Leveller ever? (never mention this to any of them - they get touchy)

I hope I have scared you off enough. Sure 50% of IBers may use words like 'rewarding experience' at the end of it all. The other ones will remain at square 1:

Name:  do-the-ib-they-said-it-will-be-fun-they-said.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  44.1 KB

EDIT: Sorry. I was finishing my Mathematics IA then.. I'm afraid my nuanced enthusiasm for the IB didn't come through. It's not so bad really...some of the time. Best of luck
sophiastorm
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
why is it one of the worst mistakes you've ever made?
seaholme
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't know why other people consider it a mistake, but I consider it a mistake that I made as well. For the following reasons:

1. I had to work a lot harder than my A Level friends
2. I worked more hours than my A Level friends - some parts of the IB like CAS cannot be completed at school
3. My teachers knew how to teach A Levels but had no clue about how to teach IB
4. As a result we were all SO SO stressed by the insane workload
5. The exams were ridiculously intense and hard, taking place all at once over just a few weeks with multiple exams back to back potentially across the entire week if you're unlucky (unlike the spread out and chilled out A Level exams)
6. Universities didn't give a **** and gave us all disproportionate offers - as mentioned above, people were being asked for 7s in HL (practically Uni level) maths as A Level students got asked for A's and B's.
7. I feel like I worked ten times as hard, had a truncated social life, didn't enjoy the last 2 years of school anywhere near as much as I should have and yet...

...got to the same point as I would have done if I'd just done 4 A Levels.

So don't be a masochist, don't say "oh but it won't be like that for me because I'm smart". I too was an arrogant fool. Once. It only takes the once and then you're in it for good.
NothnButTheTooth
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey all 2012/2014 IB students (those sitting final exams in May), could you please visit this page when you have a spare second or two.. Its just a place where we can all discuss our last few Weeks as school students- and of course, the exams coming up.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...6&highlight=IB
IFoundWonderland
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by DeathByDice)

7) Are the academic articles found on JStor your staple reading supply?
I love the JStor.. atm it is literally my life -_-

Everything you sad is true, but I still love IB.. Maybe there's something wrong with me?
ThatPrickImran
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by seaholme)
I don't know why other people consider it a mistake, but I consider it a mistake that I made as well. For the following reasons:

1. I had to work a lot harder than my A Level friends
2. I worked more hours than my A Level friends - some parts of the IB like CAS cannot be completed at school
3. My teachers knew how to teach A Levels but had no clue about how to teach IB
4. As a result we were all SO SO stressed by the insane workload
5. The exams were ridiculously intense and hard, taking place all at once over just a few weeks with multiple exams back to back potentially across the entire week if you're unlucky (unlike the spread out and chilled out A Level exams)
6. Universities didn't give a **** and gave us all disproportionate offers - as mentioned above, people were being asked for 7s in HL (practically Uni level) maths as A Level students got asked for A's and B's.
7. I feel like I worked ten times as hard, had a truncated social life, didn't enjoy the last 2 years of school anywhere near as much as I should have and yet...

...got to the same point as I would have done if I'd just done 4 A Levels.

So don't be a masochist, don't say "oh but it won't be like that for me because I'm smart". I too was an arrogant fool. Once. It only takes the once and then you're in it for good.
This pretty much sums up the last year for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
tetroquark
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
well, i've taken ib and in two months i'm going to have my exams,
the majority of students seem to hate ib, and while i honestly hate some parts of it, i enjoyed some things too.
i really like natural sciences, so i love doing physics sl and chemistry hl and even though there was quite a lot work with lab reports, i liked doing them, so if you like natural sciences, that's a large advantage.
ib also teaches you to manage your time, which is beneficial and also you will study only 6 subjects you like
however, tok essay and presentation/cas are time-consuming&boring
also, you will definitely have to work a lot, in order to do well in your exams, i'm right after my mocks and even though i studied hard during the two years, i didn't do as well as i was expecting to. the offers from universities, if you will apply for the good ones will be hard to fulfill. and you will be constantly worried about plagiarism, all the essays, deadlines and your future life
leilaa05
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm doing the IB program right now, and I suggest that you take it! It can be a pain, and sometimes I wish that I didnt even take it but there are some parts which I weirdly enjoy. The things you learn in IB can be really beneficial to you, based on your career. Not only that, but the things you cover during your two year course can really help you when you get to university
Georgie-H
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you're struggling at all with your AS levels, the IB is a lot lot lot more work. This year I'm doing 7 books for English and some of my AS friends are doing 3 (just for comparison)
Also the IB makes you hate a fair few of your subjects
queentamora
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It depends as well what you're good at. You need to be really well-rounded to do the IB. You can't, for example, only like the sciences and absolutely hate English, because you have to take both. Some schools also allow you to do two sciences or two humanities instead of one plus an art subject, so if you're interested in that, see if the school near you offers it. Surprisingly, the IB also varies a lot between schools. Some schools offer some subjects only at SL while some offer it at both levels while some don't offer it at all. It's really important to decide well. Also, look at the syllabuses and general mark schemes because I dove in not really knowing (my school only offers IB) and really regret it. I would have made better subject choices.

Like everyone else said, it's tons and tons of work for very little return. Every minute of your life there will be a thought about CAS or TOK or your EE or your subjects. It's also not very well acknowledged in most universities. American universities consider AP to be more prestigious (such bull****) and UK universities prefer A Levels and this shows in the bias of the entry requirements. For example, I have an offer for 36 to study psychology at Warwick and the requirement for A level is AAB. There was a recent study that suggests a 38, which is what I was predicted, equates to AAAAA at A level. That's how big the difference is.

I hated IB...but it works for some people. I also know how ****ty it is to hate your teachers. It really affects the way you learn. If you think it's going to be detrimental to your studies, then consider moving schools or classes. Also, without meaning to offend, Maths Studies and ESS are not very well looked upon and I promise that English Lit and Biology are two of my biggest regrets. I hear that French is fun though. Good luck deciding!
shopoholic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
IB is a lot of work. Before signing up for it, you should make sure you're willing to give up sleep and be stressed majority of the time.
Also, judging from your GCSE results, I think you'll have a hard time especially since you want to do chemistry, biology and environmental systems. Are you considering doing these at HL?
Other than that, English Lit, Maths Studies and French are fairly easy. Biology SL is doable if you study enough and do past papers.
helerrrn
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's not so much the severity of subjects but more the juggling of 6 different ones with EE, TOK and CAS.
If it helps you I do: English HL, Theatre Arts HL, Business HL, ESS SL, Maths SL, French AB. Many consider that an easy grouping and I have still been in questioning with my IB co-ordinators for "low" levels. In GCSE I got: 2 A's, 3 B's, 4 C's and nothing below and I find the IB very hard overall (not always in specific subjects). This is mostly due to the insane juggling of workloads and my colleges inability to organise deadlines, overall im lazy though and care a bit too much about my social life than the ideal IB student.

So: if you find yourself to be lazy in deadlines and planning and work; i wouldnt recommend the IB. You can wing parts of it if you have enough basic intelligence and common sense, but you can NOT wing all of it. Take it from someone who didnt revise for any of their GCSE's, IB is a pain in the arse. I consider 1am an early night in the IB and the amount of crying stress breakdowns I have is not normal, I have often had to lie my face off in order to get around missed deadlines. I started on A Levels so can give you a comparison and trust me, do A levels.

If you can get the same recognition (My firm uni wants 30 IB points, only B C C for A level students) for much less work, why wouldnt you? Believe me, many people in my cohort have been bitten by the fact they do IB in their applications for uni and its super unfair alot of the time in comparison to a level students.

Leaving A Levels for the IB is the biggest mistake I have ever made. Oops.
goldenshades
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
At my school the minimum requirement to do the IB is 3As and 4Bs; I think in order to succeed in the IB this requirement should be significantly raised, as the IB is A LOT harder than many people think. I personally think you should stick with A-Levels as it seems more suited to you (the chance to do resits, etc.) whereas with the IB you need to be consistent throughout the whole school year and cannot leave things to the last minute unless you want to trouble yourself. When I was in year 11 I was told about an IB school that everyone said was 'amazing', although going there now I just think it's average. I think the reason for your current educational experience is to do with the teaching, rather than the actual course. If you think that you can no longer handle staying there then I think it would be better to move to a better school
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads