igcse history or geography Watch

kajip00
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I would like to be a lawyer when i am older and i was going to pick geography until i found out that history is really useful for lawyers. What shall i pick? What are your experiences.
Was history igcse hard?
Do you think its not too hard to ge an A in
kajip00
Rep:
?
Anybody?
danconway
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In terms of GCSE... Doesn't matter. At Uni, neither are really required at A level. Do what you enjoy/are best in - IGCSE choices do not matter unless you NEED to take the subject - say, do History at uni (which one would assume then that you should probably do GCSE and A level).

Anyway, in terms of difficulty... I do neither! I dropped History, RS and Geography in favour of Music, Drama and Latin!

However, the number of my friends who complain about IGCSE History rather than IGCSE Geog is quite large - I'd personally do Geography.
kajip00
Rep:
?
Really not sure leaning towards history because i want to be a lawyer and i researched it and apparently it's really useful. What is it like? Is it hard?
Lokiofasgard
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Personally, I am finding igcse history very hard (taking the exams June 2014) but I don't know whether that's just because I am much better at sciences than at more English like subjects.

Geography (I study both) is much easier, personally. However I do not think that having geography gcse is as useful for law than history is.

I think that if you want to be a lawyer, then you will probably be more inclined towards subjects like history. Could you not do both?
Omni Vanitas
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm doing the IGCSE History this year. To get an A/A* you have to be prepared to memorise quite a lot of stuff. The course basically is the International Relations between both wars and after the second World War. In history, you will also do a depth study which is either America during the war, Germany during the war and more (I can't remember right now). To be honest, the course is very dense and you have to write quite fast. For paper 1, you get 2 hours and in that time you have to answer 3 questions, approximately 2 sides, which gives you 45 minutes per question. For paper 2, you get 2 hours to analyse sources (i.e. speeches, pictures,biographies ect)

Personally, I would chose the subject you're most comfortable with. Remember you can choose History as an A-level which would help you if you want to be a lawyer.

Hope this helps!
kajip00
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lokiofasgard)
Personally, I am finding igcse history very hard (taking the exams June 2014) but I don't know whether that's just because I am much better at sciences than at more English like subjects.

Geography (I study both) is much easier, personally. However I do not think that having geography gcse is as useful for law than history is.

I think that if you want to be a lawyer, then you will probably be more inclined towards subjects like history. Could you not do both?
Thank you that was so informative. I can't do both because i don't have room for any more subjects and i love my other ones.
Lokiofasgard
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by kajip00)
Thank you that was so informative. I can't do both because i don't have room for any more subjects and i love my other ones.
I'm glad you found it helpful! The main thing is that you should choose the subject that you enjoy most and the one that you personally think will open up the most opportunities in the areas and possible careers that you want to go into.
kajip00
Rep:
?
Does anybody else find igcse history hard?
Omni Vanitas
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I find it hard enough lol. I was lucky in my mock I only had to do paper 1 which i got 85%
kajip00
Rep:
?
(Original post by Omni Vanitas)
I find it hard enough lol. I was lucky in my mock I only had to do paper 1 which i got 85%
Whats the course like?
What was the biggest problem?
Is it really time consuming?
Omni Vanitas
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by kajip00)
Whats the course like?
What was the biggest problem?
Is it really time consuming?
What's the course like- dense.
Biggest problem- analysing sources
Time consuming- depending on your teacher, how much homework he/she gives you.
Omni Vanitas
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I can give you all the details of the course, PM me if you want
aalanasariq8
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you are good at writing essays and learning basics of stories and events then go for history. I would personally recommend you since my friend is studying to become a layer and he constantly says that history helped him out a hole lot
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (129)
17.97%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.17%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (123)
17.13%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (104)
14.48%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.75%
How can I be the best version of myself? (219)
30.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed