The Student Room Group

Should i do A levels?

Do you think that i should do A levels?

Im in year 11 and my predicted grades for maths is B and english i am going to move to higher tier and im predicted a B

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Of course you should do a levels. They will help you to get a place in uni and secure a job. They are so useful.
Original post by Senn
Do you think that i should do A levels?

Im in year 11 and my predicted grades for maths is B and english i am going to move to higher tier and im predicted a B

What career area are you thinking of going into?
Reply 3
Original post by Emma:-)
What career area are you thinking of going into?

Primary teaching :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by kajip00
Of course you should do a levels. They will help you to get a place in uni and secure a job. They are so useful.

Im not sure if i can pass A levels as they say it's really difficult.
Original post by Senn
Primary teaching :smile:

A-levels are a good idea if you want to go into primary teaching.
There are also other options such as doing courses such as the course i did- if you are definately sure you want to do primary teaching. I did a level 3 diploma in childcare and education course at college. Several people on my course went on to do teaching at uni. That way theres also the option of doing other similar courses at uni. If there is a chance of you changing your mind and doing something else though, then stick with a-levels.
Reply 6
A-levels are a good idea if you want to go into primary teaching.
There are also other options such as doing courses such as the course i did- if you are definately sure you want to do primary teaching. I did a level 3 diploma in childcare and education course at college. Several people on my course went on to do teaching at uni. That way theres also the option of doing other similar courses at uni. If there is a chance of you changing your mind and doing something else though, then stick with a-levels.

I was told that childcare was a better option too. And i was thinking to take that course but i couldn't decide. Thankyou for your suggestion! Xx
Original post by kajip00

A-levels arent as amazing as you make out.
You can get into uni with a lot of other courses other than a-levels, for example diplomas, btecs etc. And before you say it- they arent the easy option. And going to uni doesnt automatically secure a job. Yes, going to uni makes it more likely that you will get a better paying job. But there are plenty of people who have been to uni but cant find a job. Whereas i know quite a few people who havent been to uni but have got decent well paying jobs. A-levels and uni arent the be all and end all.
Original post by Senn
I was told that childcare was a better option too. And i was thinking to take that course but i couldn't decide. Thankyou for your suggestion! Xx

I did a-levels then the childcare course. Its a decent course. People in my class on that course also went on to do things like social work, child studies etc at uni. One even got an unconditional offer to do social work at derby uni. And theres also jobs such as working in nurseries, teaching assistants in schools etc that you can do if you didnt go to uni.
Ya u should but i dont think i got the grades for it i got like
8 c's 1 b 1 A+ and btec pass
im doing btec level 3 extended (3 a levels targeted 3 Distinction *) HOPEFULLY!!!!!!!
Reply 10
I did a-levels then the childcare course. Its a decent course. People in my class on that course also went on to do things like social work, child studies etc at uni. One even got an unconditional offer to do social work at derby uni. And theres also jobs such as working in nurseries, teaching assistants in schools etc that you can do if you didnt go to uni.

Thats great :biggrin: for my options i chose btec level 3 (extended diploma) health and social care, ill have to change it.
Reply 11
Original post by Ariana Grande
Ya u should but i dont think i got the grades for it i got like
8 c's 1 b 1 A+ and btec pass
im doing btec level 3 extended (3 a levels targeted 3 Distinction *) HOPEFULLY!!!!!!!

Good luck!! Work hard ;p
Original post by Senn
Thats great :biggrin: for my options i chose btec level 3 (extended diploma) health and social care, ill have to change it.

Most 6th forms/colleges allow you to change your options up until you start the couse so you should be fine. Some places even allow you to swap in the first couple of weeks when you start college.
im planning on doing a levels after btec level 3 so i can have more university options
:tongue:
Reply 14
Most 6th forms/colleges allow you to change your options up until you start the couse so you should be fine. Some places even allow you to swap in the first couple of weeks when you start college.

Yeap for my conditional offer i chose childcare or health and social care :smile:
Good to know that the childcare course will get me into university.
Reply 15
Original post by Ariana Grande
im planning on doing a levels after btec level 3 so i can have more university options
:tongue:

Thats good :biggrin: i might do a btec and an a level. Not sure about what A level i want to choose though. :tongue:
Original post by Senn
Thats good :biggrin: i might do a btec and an a level. Not sure about what A level i want to choose though. :tongue:

Something like history or geography might be useful.
Original post by Senn
Yeap for my conditional offer i chose childcare or health and social care :smile:
Good to know that the childcare course will get me into university.

Yeah, most level 3 btecs/diplomas will get you into uni, as long as you get a decent grade in them.
Reply 18
Something like history or geography might be useful.

Im taking history at the moment in high school and its dreadful. I might do sociology or english lit maybe.
Original post by Senn
Im taking history at the moment in high school and its dreadful. I might do sociology or english lit maybe.

English lit would be good, especially if you want to do teaching.

Quick Reply

Latest