Can I get onto a medical degree with a BTEC, if so which one? Watch

nightwatcher805
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi everyone,

I have Ds in GCSE science and I am in Year 12. I was wondering if I could get onto a medicine degree with a BTEC. If so, which one? I am hoping to take the BTEC from September.

Thanks,
Ben.
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nope. The only possibility to get in with a BTEC would be if you resat your science GCSEs to get at least Cs (realistically As and Bs at least) and then did an access year or a degree. However if you're getting Ds at GCSE, how do you really think you'll cope with a medical degree?
WednesdayAddams
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Your best bet is probably a degree. I think few medical schools actually accept Access courses. Most (if not all) require chemistry at A level. You will also need much better GCSEs as as anything below a C doesn't actually count (since it's a fail). Some medical school (eg Sheffield) also insist that all of your exams of a particular type were taken in one sitting.

If you wanted to do medicine why did you choose a BTEC?
Ariana Grande
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
no not even i can get into biology a levels and i got an A's and B's in gcse science (b1a c1a p1a) they never let me resit the other ones which i got an D E and C in so my overall core science grade was C (260/400 20 points for B IKR??!!) additional science overall was B (288/400)
neal95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No chance unfortunately with btecs and grades like that best to rethink your career
smozsolution
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
With D grades in science then you'd struggle to get on any AS science course, let alone onto a medical degree.
AreebWithaHat
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
no
Ariana Grande
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
^ I actually agree because if you get an Grade D in science and with 1 science GCSE qualification, Firstly, Colleges and Sixth Forms ask for additional qualifications such as Double Science or triple science.. This is done so that not everyone would get onto the course if you see my point of view. To get into Double or triple science you must take a mock exam I believe that determines your skill and knowledge towards science and to see if you are liable to take the course. .. (I did this test in Year 9 and I get an 5c, unfortunately I had to do additional science because triple science requires an 5a/6c)
Larry31
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by nightwatcher805)
Hi everyone,

I have Ds in GCSE science and I am in Year 12. I was wondering if I could get onto a medicine degree with a BTEC. If so, which one? I am hoping to take the BTEC from September.

Thanks,
Ben.
Unfortunately it's not looking likely with your academics at the minute. I am not aware of any medical school that accepts BTEC qualifications for the standard 5 year medical courses, although I don't know about the 6 year courses with a foundation year. The standard offer for medicine is AAA at A-level including Chemistry and often, but not always, Biology. With a D in GCSE science, it looks like you'd struggle to get the grades you need to apply. Bear in mind that hundreds, if not thousands of applicants are rejected every year with a high number of A* grades at GCSE and straight A grades at AS level.
Explore your options and research potentially getting on to an Access course or a medical course with foundation year, but if that doesn't work out, remember there are many other allied health professions you could potentially look at including Physiotherapy, Radiography and Occupational Therapy Good luck with everything!
Ariana Grande
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
^ According to EDEXCEL A levels are equivalent to BTEC level 3 Extended (3 a levels) and some universities except A level equivalents merged with other qualifications
smozsolution
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ariana Grande)
^ According to EDEXCEL A levels are equivalent to BTEC level 3 Extended (3 a levels) and some universities except A level equivalents merged with other qualifications
A lot of universities do accept BTECs instead of A Levels but for medicine, OP would not stand a chance due to the sheer competition.

People get rejected with A/A*s at GCSEs and AAA minimum at A Level so with average GCSE grades (including Ds in science) and a BTEC, how does the OP think he'll be able to compete with others for a place in medical school?
username638250
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No..........................
Ariana Grande
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
"People" get rejected because "People" applying for unis like cambridge things like that bound to happen
smozsolution
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ariana Grande)
"People" get rejected because "People" applying for unis like cambridge things like that bound to happen
55-60% of applicants receive 4 pre-interview rejections for medicine and that's not just because people are applying to Cambridge.

The competition for medicine is fierce, as shown here. OP would struggle with his current academics.
Ariana Grande
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think the logic is clear. Don't apply unless you got A* in your science modules.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
With a D grade at GCSE level you don't stand a chance applying for Medicine. Lots of advice here about applying for Medicine and the very high GCSE/A level grades/subject required - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/medicine

PS. There are lots of other Health related careers/courses besides Medicine. Look at Paramedic Studies, Physio, Pharmacy, Speech Therapy, Mental Health etc etc.

Good NHS careers website here http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/a-to-z/ and info about NHS high level apprenticeships etc - http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/working...ps-in-england/
Chewyy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm very confused, your other threads show that you also want to apply for nursing, law and acting. You don't stand much chance with your GCSEs but you show no chance if you can't show 100% passion and evidence you want to study just medicine. What are your reasons?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (11)
9.09%
Disagree (6)
4.96%
Neither agree or disagree (41)
33.88%
Agree (46)
38.02%
Strongly Agree (17)
14.05%

Watched Threads