The Student Room Group

Alevels

I am in the progress of picking my a levels at the moment. I definitely want to do Maths, Physics and Economics but im not quite sure what to do as my 4th. My options are:
-English lang/lit
-Psychology
-Business Studies
-German
-History
I really dont know what to pick? any help?

Scroll to see replies

I'd do German. Languages are well respected. It really depends on what you want to do, though. I wouldn't do Business Studies or Psychology unless you really want to. Is English Language and Literature one option? If not, I would pick Literature.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Edminzodo
I'd do German. Languages are well respected. It really depends on what you want to do, though. I wouldn't do Business Studies or Psychology unless you really want to. Is English Language and Literature one option? If not, I would pick Literature.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would like to go down the route of being an accountant, economist, banker etc. Why wouldn't you recommend Business or Psychology? I could do them separately or as one
Original post by JBDA
I am in the progress of picking my a levels at the moment. I definitely want to do Maths, Physics and Economics but im not quite sure what to do as my 4th. My options are:
-English lang/lit
-Psychology
-Business Studies
-German
-History
I really dont know what to pick? any help?

Id pick english literature or german. Both are well respected. And both are essay subjects which will be useful alongside your maths/science subjects that you are doing. A language always looks good. And english literature is well respected and most unis really like it.
Business Studies is similar to Economics and not very respected. Sadly, sometimes Business Studies and Psychology are looked at as easy options. But you have three strong subjects so it's really up to you! Good luck! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Emma:-)
Id pick english literature or german. Both are well respected. And both are essay subjects which will be useful alongside your maths/science subjects that you are doing. A language always looks good. And english literature is well respected and most unis really like it.

alright thank you! Your help is much appreciated! :smile:
Business Studies or History are the easiest options however, they are considered hard. But less thinking skills are required as memorising is much easier
Reply 7
Business Studies is similar to Economics and not very respected. Sadly, sometimes Business Studies and Psychology are looked at as easy options. But you have three strong subjects so it's really up to you! Good luck! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

hmm alright, thank you very much! Do you think it would be alright if I do business at AS then drop it for A2 or do you think it would benefit me further to do a language or essay based course?
Like I said, it's really up to you! You should pick whatever you are best at. If it were me, I'd take English Literature or German. Do you get careers advice talks? Because at our school we do and they help a lot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Ariana Grande
Business Studies or History are the easiest options however, they are considered hard. But less thinking skills are required as memorising is much easier

thank you!
Reply 10
Like I said, it's really up to you! You should pick whatever you are best at. If it were me, I'd take English Literature or German. Do you get careers advice talks? Because at our school we do and they help a lot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

alright thankyou! we've had one so far but I could just talk to a teacher that I feel might help? would you advice that?
Original post by JBDA
alright thankyou! we've had one so far but I could just talk to a teacher that I feel might help? would you advice that?

Yes, definitely! I am in Y11 too and I've borrowed A-Level textbooks from teachers who teach subjects I am considering. Try to talk to a teacher who won't sway you, though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Yes, definitely! I am in Y11 too and I've borrowed A-Level textbooks from teachers who teach subjects I am considering. Try to talk to a teacher who won't sway you, though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

good idea! do you know what you're going to be doing for Alevel yet? yep okay! you have actually helped me so much thank you very much!
Aaw, thanks! I need to pick four out of Economics, English Literature, History, Japanese and Maths. Although I may start with five and see what happens. Does your school let you do that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Aaw, thanks! I need to pick four out of Economics, English Literature, History, Japanese and Maths. Although I may start with five and see what happens. Does your school let you do that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

your school does Japanese? omg! would love to do that! No not that I know of anyway!
Original post by JBDA
your school does Japanese? omg! would love to do that! No not that I know of anyway!

Everyone is always really surprised when I tell them that! There are eight of us at GCSE and next year there will be two, three or four. Only me and one other person has put it down as a definite! How many people will do German at your school?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Everyone is always really surprised when I tell them that! There are eight of us at GCSE and next year there will be two, three or four. Only me and one other person has put it down as a definite! How many people will do German at your school?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think its cause not many other schools do it? well at my GCSE class their is about 28 but for A level their is only like 8 people?
Original post by JBDA
I think its cause not many other schools do it? well at my GCSE class their is about 28 but for A level their is only like 8 people?

I know a few schools who do it. I think about 1000-2000 people sat the GCSE last year, but only 500 or so take A-Level. German is so popular at your school! There are 9 for GCSE at our school and 2 want to do it next year. What subjects are you studying at the moment?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
I know a few schools who do it. I think about 1000-2000 people sat the GCSE last year, but only 500 or so take A-Level. German is so popular at your school! There are 9 for GCSE at our school and 2 want to do it next year. What subjects are you studying at the moment?

Posted from TSR Mobile

really? your the first ive heard of! im studying business,history,dance and german!
Original post by JBDA
really? your the first ive heard of! im studying business,history,dance and german!

Thanks! Ooh, dance! I can't dance at all, but what's it like?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest