The Student Room Group

Tips for assessment day at ernst & young

Hey! I have an assessment day coming up with EY, and have been told it consists of a written task which is done on a laptop, a group task, psychometric tests, and then they are taking us for lunch. Can anybody who has been through an assessment day give me some more info about the day, any tips? Also, I'm fairly confident about the group task and the tests, but i'm a bit worried about the written task. What exactly does this involve, im led to believe I will be expected to write a report for a client? How should I format this? Bullet points? Any tips would be appreciated... thanks!!:biggrin:
Original post by rhysvol1995
Hey! I have an assessment day coming up with EY, and have been told it consists of a written task which is done on a laptop, a group task, psychometric tests, and then they are taking us for lunch. Can anybody who has been through an assessment day give me some more info about the day, any tips? Also, I'm fairly confident about the group task and the tests, but i'm a bit worried about the written task. What exactly does this involve, im led to believe I will be expected to write a report for a client? How should I format this? Bullet points? Any tips would be appreciated... thanks!!:biggrin:

Hey there! The written exercise is split into two parts, for the first part you are asked to condense a 9/10 pages booklet into a small report for your boss, who is making a presentation to a client as to why they should purchase a company. At least thats what mine was about, my tips would be to not over think about presentation, it is about getting rid of all the crap you don't need and giving the hard facts like sale/profit trends. Some people on my assessment day put in tables, which is a good idea I suppose if you have the time but I didn't and i still passed.

For the second part you are to answer how you will set up your team to go about completing the report on time, skills you will develop etc and if one of your team had to go on study leave, how would you make sure you completed the task on time.

I think its about 40 mins you get for both, I'd recommend you spend more time on the first part, the second only takes a couple of lines to complete.

Any more questions message me, and good luck!
Reply 2
Well done on getting through to the assessment centre. I just want to give you a few tips that I hope will make the day easier.

Firstly, plan ahead your day. Know exactly where are going (the office location) and how long it'll take you to get there; include some time for delays. It is important to turn up at least 15minutes early but if you are running late don't worry. Make sure you have a contact number to call in case you are running late. Make sure you dress appropriately (business casual). If they ask you to bring anything with you then make sure you have it.

Secondly, your behaviour is important. They don't really assess the work you do more how you do it. Be aware that they never stop watching you even if it looks like they are busy. Network with the other candidates as it is possible you'll be working with them in the future; many people from my intake were friends since their assessment centre. Just be calm and be yourself. Everyone is friendly so don't be afraid to ask questions.

Hope this helps. :smile:

Quick Reply