IELTS date and grade not meeting the entry requierment

Watch
mirupu
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi, sorry for the title, I am not sure how I could make one clearer...

Anyways, I am french and I am currently applying through UCAS, it is late I know but i wasn't aware of the date when I start applying (i am a mature student). I want to apply for history & politics course in different uni (Queen Mary, Goldsmith, Royal Holloway, UCL and Westminster are my choices) but I realised they all ask for a B in history and I got a C (if you convert my grades) but my overall grade is like a AAB/ABB.

I do have an amazing personal statement though, so do I still stand a chance (not necasserly for UCL but at least the rest) ?

Also, I haven't passed my IELTS yet (passing it the 22feb) shall i sent my application anyway or send it once I got the result and so delay my application to another whole month ?

thank you very much for you help !
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think you have a couple of different options:

-First, send the application now with your IELTS grade as pending. As it's a late application, you run the risk of being rejected just because lots of offers have already been given out, and you don't have to be given equal consideration. Grades are the most important thing on your application- if you don't have good enough grades, your PS probably won't be looked at. However, a really good PS could help persuade a university to give out a late offer. This option is a risk, as you could get five rejections just because the uni courses you've applied to are already "full", especially if your grades are borderline. However, you could be lucky and get some offers.

-Second, UCAS extra opens around the time you take your IELTS test. UCAS extra is a way for universities to fill spaces on their courses and students who don't have an offer yet to pick one up. Choice will be limited, but there are sometimes good courses in Extra, although maybe not the ones you want. Universities can still reject you, but at least you'll know you aren't wasting your time applying for courses with no spaces. You can only apply for one course at a time- so you won't have an insurance choice, but you can reapply to a different choice if you are rejected.

-Thirdly, you could take a year out and reapply in September. Gap years are very common in the UK, and so lots of people apply to university the year after they finish school. You'll already know all your grades, so you can target universities that match the grades you've achieved. You will have a free choice of universities, and more time to explore your options- there are good universities outside London . This is the route most likely to get you a high number of offers.

Of course, you could do a combination of things, like send your application off now and also reapply next year if you don't get the place you want.
Hanover
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by mirupu)
Hi, sorry for the title, I am not sure how I could make one clearer...

Anyways, I am french and I am currently applying through UCAS, it is late I know but i wasn't aware of the date when I start applying (i am a mature student). I want to apply for history & politics course in different uni (Queen Mary, Goldsmith, Royal Holloway, UCL and Westminster are my choices) but I realised they all ask for a B in history and I got a C (if you convert my grades) but my overall grade is like a AAB/ABB.

I do have an amazing personal statement though, so do I still stand a chance (not necasserly for UCL but at least the rest) ?

Also, I haven't passed my IELTS yet (passing it the 22feb) shall i sent my application anyway or send it once I got the result and so delay my application to another whole month ?

thank you very much for you help !
You can submit your aplication without having the IELTS results, the important thing is to include the IELTS as a pending qualification in your application, so that that the unis can see you're going to take it.

If the university requires a certain grade for a subject from A-Level candidates, it doesn't necessarily affect EU/international students. You should have a look at the specific entry requirements for France.
Example: The University of York requires an A for Maths from British students, but they only ask me for 12/15 points, which is actually more B than A.

I'm from Germany
mirupu
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Slowyrisincognito > Thanks for you answer ! I know there a good university outside London but I really don't want to study anywhere outside London, to be honest, I'd rather get a course in a ****ty university in London than anywhere else. For me it's not that much the university but the location (but the university I really want is Queen Mary as this is where the course interest me the most). I should have precised I already contact all the university to make sure they'll have a look at my application and they all told me they still consider the application for the moment (except UCL, where I apply just because I have one choice left).

I don't really want to have another gap year as this one is already my gap year (I am from France and used to live in France, I kinda drop everything out to come here this year and discovered I wanted to study here, alas to late)... But this is what I'll do i think, send my application now and re-applying for next year if I don't get taken. But if I apply now, would I still get access to extra ? I have been told Queen Mary often got their history student through clearing for some reason, so I might stand a chance ?

Thanks for your answer Hanover, I'll give it a shot (i have nothing to lose anyway) but it might be a silly question but how do I precise my IELTS is pending ?
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by mirupu)
Slowyrisincognito > Thanks for you answer ! I know there a good university outside London but I really don't want to study anywhere outside London, to be honest, I'd rather get a course in a ****ty university in London than anywhere else. For me it's not that much the university but the location (but the university I really want is Queen Mary as this is where the course interest me the most). I should have precised I already contact all the university to make sure they'll have a look at my application and they all told me they still consider the application for the moment (except UCL, where I apply just because I have one choice left).

I don't really want to have another gap year as this one is already my gap year (I am from France and used to live in France, I kinda drop everything out to come here this year and discovered I wanted to study here, alas to late)... But this is what I'll do i think, send my application now and re-applying for next year if I don't get taken. But if I apply now, would I still get access to extra ? I have been told Queen Mary often got their history student through clearing for some reason, so I might stand a chance ?

Thanks for your answer Hanover, I'll give it a shot (i have nothing to lose anyway) but it might be a silly question but how do I precise my IELTS is pending ?
You don't have anything to lose by applying at this stage, especially if the universities have said they would consider your application. You probably wouldn't be able to access Extra unless you got 5 rejections very quickly. However, you would be able to access clearing if that's something you want to do.

If you get rejections, it might be worth asking for feedback- if you were rejected due to a late application, then it is probably worth having another go via clearing if the course is in clearing. However, if you're rejected for another reason, unfortunately there's not much point reapplying via clearing.

When entering qualifications on the UCAS form, there should be an option to put the grade as pending instead of an achieved grade.

Good luck with your application.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (4)
8.16%
I need help researching courses (4)
8.16%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
6.12%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
48.98%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (10)
20.41%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
2.04%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
6.12%

Watched Threads