What is logic? Watch

Mworswick
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
As part of some philosophy degrees you study logic. Obviously I know what it is but how is it studied
quirksy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well I'm currently studying AS Philosophy, so someone doing at degree level might be able to explain better, but here goes:

For every argument, you need two things for it to be plausible/successful: logic and evidence. There are 2 main types of logic: inductive and deductive.

Inductive logic is based on experience of past events, so a posteriori/sensory knowledge, and you use premises to come to the most probable conclusion. For example, you could see someone's hair is wet, and you see that it's raining outside, so you induce the conclusion that their hair is wet because it is raining outside.

Deductive logic argues towards a logically necessary/certain conclusion rather than just the most probable, as it's based on a priori knowledge, in other words, things we know that are true by definition. For example, we know that by definition, a bachelor is an unmarried man, and if someone is a bachelor, then we deduce the conclusion that that person must be an unmarried man.

So in philosophy we study each of these types of logic, and analyse what kind of logic various theories use, and analyse them based on this, e.g. how much we can trust the evidence used/how certain the conclusion drawn from this is.

Hope this answers your question!
Mworswick
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by quirksy)
Well I'm currently studying AS Philosophy, so someone doing at degree level might be able to explain better, but here goes:

For every argument, you need two things for it to be plausible/successful: logic and evidence. There are 2 main types of logic: inductive and deductive.

Inductive logic is based on experience of past events, so a posteriori/sensory knowledge, and you use premises to come to the most probable conclusion. For example, you could see someone's hair is wet, and you see that it's raining outside, so you induce the conclusion that their hair is wet because it is raining outside.

Deductive logic argues towards a logically necessary/certain conclusion rather than just the most probable, as it's based on a priori knowledge, in other words, things we know that are true by definition. For example, we know that by definition, a bachelor is an unmarried man, and if someone is a bachelor, then we deduce the conclusion that that person must be an unmarried man.

So in philosophy we study each of these types of logic, and analyse what kind of logic various theories use, and analyse them based on this, e.g. how much we can trust the evidence used/how certain the conclusion drawn from this is.

Hope this answers your question!
I am doing AS philosophy myself and have studied the things you mentioned. On a uni website next to the logic module it said (A-level maths not required), which made me think it must be more mathematical than that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of West London
    Postgraduate Open Day - Ealing Site Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Bath
    Find out about life at the University and discover our diverse range of Undergraduate courses. Our course areas include the Sciences, Humanities & Social Sciences, Engineering & Design, and Management. Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Chemistry Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (49)
28.82%
The paper was reasonable (87)
51.18%
Not feeling great about that exam... (17)
10%
It was TERRIBLE (17)
10%

Watched Threads