Do you get the Bursary if you go through Teach First...

Watch this thread
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi,

I am considering whether to do a Teach First Course or a PGCE. Now I know that if I go through the PGCE directly I get a £20,000 government bursary, but I cannot find whether I get it by going through Teach First.

Thanks
myrtille
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by 2710)
Hi,

I am considering whether to do a Teach First Course or a PGCE. Now I know that if I go through the PGCE directly I get a £20,000 government bursary, but I cannot find whether I get it by going through Teach First.

Thanks
No, because on Teach First you get a salary. Teach First lasts two years, and in the first year you are paid as an unqualified teacher (around £20k in inner London, £16k in the rest of the country) and in the 2nd year you are paid as an NQT (£28k in inner London, £21.8k in the rest of the country). This is a salary rather than a bursary, so you do get taxed on it.

Make sure you are entitled to the £20k bursary first of all - bear in mind it's only if you are training in a shortage subject and have a First Class degree.

If you are going to get the £20k bursary, I suggest going for the PGCE instead of Teach First. I would only consider Teach First if you can't afford to do the PGCE, and with the £20k bursary you clearly can!

On the PGCE, you get plenty of school experience in placements with your workload gradually increasing so that by the end of it you should be teaching about 2/3 of a full teacher's timetable. You are not replacing a member of staff - they will still be there, supervising, mentoring and helping you - so if things go wrong you're not on your own.

This school experience is balanced with time in university at the start of the course, in between the 2 placements, and at the end. This gives time for reflection and discussion with colleagues, as well as learning the theory of good teaching practice (which at least you can keep in the back of your mind when it all goes out of the window when faced with the daily realities of teaching). It also means you get a bit of down time which is actually essential. Drop out rates for new teachers are extremely high due to stress and burn out, so I would not underestimate the value of a good break!

In some ways, yes, I think the PGCE is the slightly easier option of the two. But it's certainly not easy! See the thread "PGCE - never felt so tired or stressed!" for details. I think in the long-run, the fact that you get more time to stop and think and discuss your teaching, not just teach, plan, mark and sleep (which is what happens during placements) has the potential to make you a better teacher.
Rep:
Thank you for your thorough answer.

I am going to be doing Maths teaching so I will be eligible for the bursary :P

The reason why Teach first attracts me is because of its business affilliation. As when I finish the course I wish to have an open route into the business world as well as teaching.

Do you know if I can apply to both?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mr M
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by 2710)
I am going to be doing Maths teaching so I will be eligible for the bursary
If you have or expect to achieve a first or 2:1 you should go for a £25,000 Scholarship.
Juichiro
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by 2710)
Thank you for your thorough answer.

I am going to be doing Maths teaching so I will be eligible for the bursary :P

The reason why Teach first attracts me is because of its business affilliation. As when I finish the course I wish to have an open route into the business world as well as teaching.

Do you know if I can apply to both?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Elaborate?
Rep:
(Original post by Juichiro)
Elaborate?
Can I apply for both the PGCE and Teach first and decide after, is what I meant, which is probably a silly question now that I think about it. I should be able to apply to both. I was concerned because it said that you cannot apply for Teach First if you already have a PGCE placement confirmed, which I dont.

And to Mr.M I already have a 2:1 I will look into that thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Shelly_x
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by 2710)
Can I apply for both the PGCE and Teach first and decide after, is what I meant, which is probably a silly question now that I think about it. I should be able to apply to both. I was concerned because it said that you cannot apply for Teach First if you already have a PGCE placement confirmed, which I dont.

And to Mr.M I already have a 2:1 I will look into that thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Teach First opens around Juneish. So you can apply to Teach First around then, and if you are unsuccessful then apply to PGCEs/SCITTS/Schools Direct courses when they open in November.
However, TF is a extremely stressful and tough route, some would argue more so than the PGCE. You are given 6 weeks training and then plonked into a 'disadvantaged' school and told to teach. There is some support, but I would say not as much as you get on the PGCE. I've met many Teach Firsters who regret their choice to train that way and quite a few I know have dropped out/are on the brink of dropping out due to the stress of being shoved straight into full-time teaching.
DJ1993
Badges: 0
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Juichiro)
Elaborate?
TeachFirst often advertises itself as not just an opportunity to teach, but also as a way to curry favor with the many businesses TeachFirst is affiliated with. When you apply, they make it very clear that an option is to work with them for two years then go into a post-grad position with one of their partners.
jeffercake
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
You cannot apply for both at the same time, apparently.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (68)
66.02%
No (26)
25.24%
I didn't use it to prepare (9)
8.74%

Watched Threads