The Student Room Group

Driving on the road, 3 months after passing the test. Not confident :(

Hi,

After passing my test 3 months ago, I am legally behind the wheel...must admit insurance is expensive :angry:.

Anyways, I'm driving an automatic (which is meant to be easier, but I prefer manual). Thing is, I feel like a complete noob. As if I have only started driving again.

Any tips.
Reply 1
dont get into a car crash
Reply 2
just because you have the licence, it doesn't mean you will become confident straight away and stop learning as soon as you take the test. It can take a while. It took me a good year until I was total confident out on the road on my own.
Reply 3
Do you have someone (who is a legal driver) to sit in the car with you for a few random drives? You're still fully in control but the other person can still let you know you're doing ok, or where you're going wrong.
I wasn't confident in my car after passing my test so I used to go on loads of drives with my mum or dad just to build up my confidence.
Otherwise if that doesn't help, if you have money to spare, book a one hour lesson with an instructor to go over things you're worried about. I had a friend who booked a lesson to go over all different parking because he was struggling months after his test.
Reply 4
Original post by MkGuy
just because you have the licence, it doesn't mean you will become confident straight away and stop learning as soon as you take the test. It can take a while. It took me a good year until I was total confident out on the road on my own.

Is it embarrassing to drive with someone next to you?

I do like manual transmission, but due to the situation I am in, an automatic is my only option - or I could wait another 7 months before getting a manual.

My family told me to drive the automatic for some time to gain confidence
Reply 5
Original post by TNA123
Do you have someone (who is a legal driver) to sit in the car with you for a few random drives? You're still fully in control but the other person can still let you know you're doing ok, or where you're going wrong.
I wasn't confident in my car after passing my test so I used to go on loads of drives with my mum or dad just to build up my confidence.
Otherwise if that doesn't help, if you have money to spare, book a one hour lesson with an instructor to go over things you're worried about. I had a friend who booked a lesson to go over all different parking because he was struggling months after his test.

Hi,

I always have a legal driver over 5 years experience sitting next to me, on all my drives. They advice me, as I drive at times
Reply 6
You'll be fine! (:
I'd just watch out for those absolute idiots on the road.
I nearly had an accident today because I was turning right and the person behind me decided to overtake. It was obvious he was distracted! Ended up having to emergency stop to avoid the collision.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by kendellex
You'll be fine! (:
I'd just watch out for those absolute idiots on the road.
I nearly had an accident today because I was turning right and the person behind me decided to overtake. It was obvious he was distracted! Ended up having to emergency stop to avoid the collision.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I think with some practice I may be fine
Moved to Motoring :smile:
Reply 9
Driving the automatic to try and feel a little more confidence seems like a good idea, just makes me think that when you eventually go back to a manual you will feel more nervous cause you will need to focus on changing gears?
But I guess for generally conquering that fear of driving on the road its a great idea ! : )

Quick Reply

Latest