The Student Room Group

ALDI supermarket experiences

Does anyone shop at ALDI? What are your experiences?
Reply 1
I went there a few times, they have really good stuff on offer. I usually stock up on fruit and they have the nicest chocolates.
Reply 2
Original post by 2ndClass
I went there a few times, they have really good stuff on offer. I usually stock up on fruit and they have the nicest chocolates.

Do you feel they tend to rush you at the checkout?
Reply 3
Original post by mrocd2014

Hmmm, I've actually noticed that tbh

have you tried their hazelnut milk chocolate? :drool:

OP, Aldi is great but their milk isn't the best.
Reply 5
Original post by Secretnerd123
have you tried their hazelnut milk chocolate? :drool:

OP, Aldi is great but their milk isn't the best.

:yep:

I used to go to aldi before it was semi popular, #cheaplife :biggrin:
Reply 6
:yep:

I used to go to aldi before it was semi popular, #cheaplife :biggrin:

lol :wink:
Reply 7
Never been cause there's none here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ive never actually been there, is it any good?
It's cheap .

The till people are just very fast, I wouldn't say they wanted to rush you out.

They do these nice waffle things.

But they never have enough tills open.
As other people said above I've been shopping at aldi before it became a middle class hipster fad to shop there, back when it was as embarrassing to walk into aldi as it is to walk into lidl. These hypocrites used to spit on me as I walked in now the same people are hogging the aisles and creating large queues at the checkouts!! What the hell middle class people aldi was my thing, it was my way of being edgy now I'm just part of the pop culture. At least I still got my lidl, you can't take my lidl goddammit!! :fuhrer:

Having said that, it literally has the best fruit and veg of any supermarket and is still cheaper.
(edited 10 years ago)
Does anyone shop at ALDI? What are your experiences?

This is what I want to say! Aldi's cheap and has some good stuff. I tend to go there for fruit, but tbh it's a bit "hit and miss" It'd be nice if Aldi stocked more healthier items, but they don't. They stock "cheap" which may be good quality, but not necessarily healthy

And at the checkouts, you don't get the same service that you get at the other supermarkets ie: you're really rushed, and when you say "Thanks. Have a nice day :smile:" The staff are like "OK. Bye" ie: go away :biggrin:

Oh and here's something - I live in a town, where Aldi has it's UK headquarters for it's distribution unit ie: stuff is packed where I'm living atm - even the name of their own brand stuff gives it away (it took me aaages to click on however)

Any way, despite being right next to the UK distribution unit (well within a mile), I sometimes go to Aldi, and they're out of stock

I mean the distribution centre is only a mile away. How can they be out of stock? :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Dr Alcoholic

Having said that, it literally has the best fruit and veg of any supermarket and is still cheaper.

They can be hit and miss with the bananas and apples. Other stuff is usually absolutely fine :smile: I go to Lidl for screenwash :biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by de_monies
This is what I want to say! Aldi's cheap and has some good stuff. I tend to go there for fruit, but tbh it's a bit "hit and miss" It'd be nice if Aldi stocked more healthier items, but they don't. They stock "cheap" which may be good quality, but not necessarily healthy

And at the checkouts, you don't get the same service that you get at the other supermarkets ie: you're really rushed, and when you say "Thanks. Have a nice day :smile:" The staff are like "OK. Bye" ie: go away :biggrin:

Oh and here's something - I live in a town, where Aldi has it's UK headquarters for it's distribution unit ie: stuff is packed where I'm living atm - even the name of their own brand stuff gives it away (it took me aaages to click on however)

Any way, despite being right next to the UK distribution unit (well within a mile), I sometimes go to Aldi, and they're out of stock

I mean the distribution centre is only a mile away. How can they be out of stock? :biggrin:

I'm glad you and 2ndclass agree with me about the tills

I wouldn't say it's rushing, they're just trying to be efficient! Just like a taxi when the wheels aren't turning, if the checkout chicks aren't scanning then they're not making any money! Cut out all the dilly dallying and small talk and you can scan more products within in hour, which then means less staff needed on the tills.
I like the stuff in aldi, annoyed there isn't one anywhere near my uni :s-smilie: The chocolate is really nice.

About the tills thing, I've seen somewhere that they have to rush through it, they're timed scanning items and they have to hit the target or there are penalties (presumably they fire people who are consistently too slow). It does make it difficult to get everything bagged up on a big shop though.
Reply 16
Sometimes shop at Aldi. It is alright, not as cheap as Lidl though.

Similar layout, usually only 2 tills open yet never have to wait that long to get served. Staff helpful. Fresh produce is of good quality. Booze is cheap if you don't mind drinking non-branded stuff.

edit: (one of my mates is on a management trainee course at Lidl. Supposed the staff are paid quite generously £8 p/h, but the conditions mean that there are usually only 4-5 people working at one time to keep down costs. So when the shop is empty you have to get off the tills and restock shelves. Meant to be quite hectic but he seemed to be enjoying it.)
(edited 10 years ago)
I had some banging apples from Aldi

Quick Reply

Latest