The Student Room Group

Acne scars :(

I have some deep boxcar or rolling? scars on my face from my acne. It's gone now from the various antibiotics but the scars remain. I want to try dermaroller or laser resurfacing but skeptic of anything online. Not to mention the expenses in clinics. I try not to look at my face but sometimes when I catch a glimpse it makes me feel so low. My family doesn't understand, everyone says "they will go" but it won't, not naturally and not 100%. I never squeezed any pimples but I did scratch because I have this compulsive thing of picking at lumps and bumps on my skin, for example scabs.
Moved to health :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by faizayasmin
I have some deep boxcar or rolling? scars on my face from my acne. It's gone now from the various antibiotics but the scars remain. I want to try dermaroller or laser resurfacing but skeptic of anything online. Not to mention the expenses in clinics. I try not to look at my face but sometimes when I catch a glimpse it makes me feel so low. My family doesn't understand, everyone says "they will go" but it won't, not naturally and not 100%. I never squeezed any pimples but I did scratch because I have this compulsive thing of picking at lumps and bumps on my skin, for example scabs.

Hi Faiza.

Really sorry to hear that. I will suggest you to try not to scratch them, as it could make them worst honestly.

Do you use too much make-up/cosmetics?. If you do i'd really suggest you try not to. What they do they block the pores of your skin, which could be worst really

Avoid washing affected area like more than once/twice a day. Washing too much, promotes your acne/scars.

These small techniques really helps - try to follow these :smile:.

I believe your family is right they will go away but they will take some time obviously. How old are you? If you are a teenager scars will probably go away in some time.

Still i'd suggest you not to fell so low/depressed on these scars. Consult your GP if you are too worried about them, and everything would be fine hopefully. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think dermarollers do work, but be careful to follow the advice about using them on your face. Microdermabrasion can help scarring and it's not as harsh or expensive as laser resurfacing. I'm sure your GP will be able to help you too.

One thing I will say is that the scars probably aren't as bad as you think they are. We always tend to be hypercritical of our own face and features.
Reply 4
Dermarolling is quite ticklish and painful at the same time, I've tried it before with and without a numbing cream but I gave up because:
1) I broke out when I used too much pressure (esp. with the cream)
2) I'm too ticklish, scared of needles and it takes too much time.

You can try MSM cream, I heard it helps acne scars really well!

I recommend this amazing website:
http://thelovevitamin.com/
Dedicated to acne sufferers, it will answer all your questions on how to fix your acne (scars).

My skin has improved alot because of this website.
It taught me why my parents have such nice skin, despite eating so little veggies compared to me who is a vegetarian. >__>
Reply 5
What's more, I personally do not find acne scarring remotely off-putting on a woman. I highly doubt I'm that exceptional.
Reply 6
I know exactly how you feel- I'm on roaccutane atm and the red scarring on my cheeks/jawline is pretty bad. Using oils like rosehip (can be bought in holland and barrett) on your skin every night is meant to help, as it contains retinol, but make sure you don't use it on any active spots. Also, try using a mild chemical exfoliant- brands like REN, clarins, pixi, alpha h make these. I disagree with the above comment about not wearing makeup because it blocks your pores: wear the makeup if it makes you feel more confident, and as long as you remove it thoroughly and gently, you're fine. Please report back and let us know how you get on! I also think it's important to remember that you can always ask your GP to refer you to a dermatologist if the scarring really doesn't shift. x
Reply 7
Don't worry it could be treated just consult dermatologist they would recommend you an good treatment for your skin
Hey,

While dermatologists do help with skin concerns, they often side with modern treatments which can include laser or going under the knife, over natural remedies!

If you want to remove acne scars safely, try Acnezine which is an all-natural product.

Use Argan Oil, Rosehip Seed Oil, Carrot Seed Oil, Evening Primrose Oil, Hazelnut Oil, Lavender Essential Oil, Wheatgerm Oil and Sandalwood Oil for removing scars completely. You can create a blend using these easily available oils to start with and apply it every night and then, add more specialized relief if you see improvement!

Hope it helps.

Best Regards
Reply 9
Original post by shutuplucy
I know exactly how you feel- I'm on roaccutane atm and the red scarring on my cheeks/jawline is pretty bad. Using oils like rosehip (can be bought in holland and barrett) on your skin every night is meant to help, as it contains retinol, but make sure you don't use it on any active spots. Also, try using a mild chemical exfoliant- brands like REN, clarins, pixi, alpha h make these. I disagree with the above comment about not wearing makeup because it blocks your pores: wear the makeup if it makes you feel more confident, and as long as you remove it thoroughly and gently, you're fine. Please report back and let us know how you get on! I also think it's important to remember that you can always ask your GP to refer you to a dermatologist if the scarring really doesn't shift. x

Hi Lucy, I'm back (during exam season too) and I stopped the antibiotics in an ttempt to control my skin by myself again seeing as the acne cleared up (FULLY). It's april now and I've heavily broken out with cysts and whiteheads. I have only been using tea tree lotion and aloe vera gel (infused with tea tree) from holland & barratts and a tea tree toner (LUSH shop). I've also stopped using make up on my cheeks (especially when I had clear skin)They worked well when my skin was clear with one bump and scars but now I've gone back to acne EVERYWHERE. It's painful and uncomfortable when I have to go out. My last resort is roaccutane which I don't want to go on because of the guidelines ������
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Hi Lucy, I'm back (during exam season too) and I stopped the antibiotics in an ttempt to control my skin by myself again seeing as the acne cleared up (FULLY). It's april now and I've heavily broken out with cysts and whiteheads. I have only been using tea tree lotion and aloe vera gel (infused with tea tree) from holland & barratts and a tea tree toner (LUSH shop). I've also stopped using make up on my cheeks (especially when I had clear skin)They worked well when my skin was clear with one bump and scars but now I've gone back to acne EVERYWHERE. It's painful and uncomfortable when I have to go out. My last resort is roaccutane which I don't want to go on because of the guidelines ������

I think a lot of people say no to Roaccutane without properly weighing up the advantages. I'm not saying you haven't - but I've come from where you are; pain and embarrassment and not wanting to go out and I'm now nearing the end of my Roaccutane treatment as a much happier person. Which of the side effects are you most worried about?
Reply 11
Original post by rachel.h
I think a lot of people say no to Roaccutane without properly weighing up the advantages. I'm not saying you haven't - but I've come from where you are; pain and embarrassment and not wanting to go out and I'm now nearing the end of my Roaccutane treatment as a much happier person. Which of the side effects are you most worried about?

The dry skin and lips, I'm already trying to control that from the adapalene and epiduo (+benzoyl peroxide). Also, my skin is sensitive as it is and with the creams I'm on it's worse. So the protection from sunlight as month(s)-long aftercare seems so much.
I've been on erythromycin and tetracycline (had to stop from bad internal side effects) and they seemed so GIVE me acne scars because I don't pick at my face so much anymore.
Birth control pills are not even in the question because they'd cause inflammation before getting my hormones in balance. I can't afford to gain weight or mess about with my system!
Reply 12
Original post by lppm
It sounds like you need to go to your GP and have a chat. Tea tree lotion and aloe vera gel is fine (although i'd find tea tree irritating), but it sounds like you need something a bit more powerful.

I was put on a couple of antibiotics that didn't do anything, and was then given Isotrex gel, which is essentially Retin-a. This pretty much ruined my skin and caused bad boxcar / rolling scars (never scared before i used this). I've been on it properly for about a year and i still break out. Sometimes i think it's over, but then they come back. I'm probably going to try for Roaccutane but i'm a little worried about whether it would make my now delicate skin any worse. But this is all very personal, so the best thing to do is work with a GP that you trust and makes you feel comfortable.

Oh, and by the way, derma rolling / stamping really does work. There is a huge amount of peer reviewed journal work to back it up, not to mention loads of personal testimonies. I used a stamp in a couple of places at the end of last year. I didn't use numbing cream or anything, as i wanted to limit the amount of things i was putting on my skin. I used the 1mm size once every 3 weeks, 3 times. Results take time but areas definitely filled in a little and general surface texture improved. You do need to use an ointment like Infadolan afterwards, and if you want to go full out, a collagen serum before hand for a few weeks. The most important thing is to clean it properly after use. WHEN (because you have to hope) i fully clear up i'm going to get back into using it a lot more.

Good luck!

My GP referred me to a dermatologist back in December (which was pointless) because he just prescribed me more antibiotics! I want to ask where you got your dermaroller/stamp from? And how much? I've found some overpriced and some too good to be true. I've missed a wowcher opportunity :mad:

Thanks and good luck to you too on roaccutane!
Reply 13
The dry skin and lips, I'm already trying to control that from the adapalene and epiduo (+benzoyl peroxide). Also, my skin is sensitive as it is and with the creams I'm on it's worse. So the protection from sunlight as month(s)-long aftercare seems so much.
I've been on erythromycin and tetracycline (had to stop from bad internal side effects) and they seemed so GIVE me acne scars because I don't pick at my face so much anymore.
Birth control pills are not even in the question because they'd cause inflammation before getting my hormones in balance. I can't afford to gain weight or mess about with my system!

I can only offer you my opinion, at the end of the day you know what is best for you :smile:

The side effects I have experienced are extremely manageable. My skin is dry and so are my lips and eyes. I had joint pain for a while but it's gone now. Yes, my lips have no skin on them, but I know this is only a 4 month issue. My skin has dramatically improved, as has my red scarring. I can leave the house happy and look people in the eye again.

It's also something you can try at a low dose or stop taking immediately if you want to.

Just things to think about. If it's not for you, then it's not for you.
Reply 14
I'm currently on isotretinoin, so I'd be happy to answer any questions. For acne scars my doctor has recommended a cream for stretch marks but works perfectly for acne scars, it's called Rilastil Smagliature. I think you should give it a go. I'm not sure of you can find in in the UK though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest