The Student Room Group

Confused and scared about falling in love...

Heyy guys

I've known this guy for a couple years and though we aren't "official" we are around together often. We are close friends but we are attracted to each other at the same time. He's tried to make a move more than once but I kept brushing him off because I don't feel ready, only because I haven't been in a proper relationship before and feel scared of the prospect of falling hard for him.

It's fair to say we know each other very well but I don't think I know him as well as I'd like to to get involved with him (but that's because I was scared of getting involved in the first place). I'm also a virgin (because I like the idea of saving myself for the one I love so please don't judge) so I'm pretty experienced.

Out of the blue, he proposed to me recently. I was scared ****less. You don't understand how shocked and scared I was because it was unexpected and I felt rushed and not ready. Plus, we're not "intimate" and I think we should get to know each other better. I don't know if I love him or not because I'm fighting against the idea. I wanted to "have fun" and not get tied down so soon and at a young age like this (I'm 18).
I think most of my reservations toward him stem from the fact that I don't know him as well as I'd like to and because he's extremely good-looking. I feel so out of his league and it was something many girls have snidely commented on before which doesn't make me feel great. I'm only average looking (fair, black hair, brown eyes, 5'1) and he's got the typical European/American looks and is quite tall so I feel way out of my league. We're like opposites and I don't know if we match. I can't help thinking I'm not good enough or that he'll change his mind sometime and I'll just end up hurt.

I told him that it was too soon (my dad heard about his proposal and nearly beat him up because he didn't want me to get married at 18 or any time soon for that matter), but he insisted that we could get engaged for the time being and get to know each other better in the process. He said marriage can wait a few years. But what if I'm wrong about this? I do have strong feelings towards him but I keep supressing them, saying that they're just hormones. I've always dreamt of falling in love but now that it can become a reality I'm just scared :redface: I know you probably think I'm just being stupid and need to toughen up but I can't help it.

I don't know how to tell him that I'm willing to reconsider his proposal (I flat out refused but he keeps asking me again and again) after a year or so and after we spend more time together, but I think that there must be a point where he will just give up thinking I'm simply not interested. I don't want to keep him hanging but I also don't want to lose him. It's all very selfish I know :redface: (that's why I'm making the post anonymous)

How can I be sure that this is the guy for me and that I actually love him and it's not an infatuation/lust?
How can I get to know him better because he's going abroad to Poland soon to study and I probably won't see him for 2 years except for holidays?

Thank you to anyone who contributes or helps!
Reply 1
I meant inexperienced :redface:
Talk to him, and tell him the things that you posted here. That's the easiest way to sort this all out. Marriage at 18 is young, but you do what's right for you and don't listen to the people that put you down, like the girls you were talking about. However, that's not to say don't listen to advice from those that care about you such as your parents and friends. It can be hard to figure out if you love someone or not, some may know right away and others might need time to figure it all out. Don't beat yourself up about that. Just remember to think long and hard about this and don't rush into marriage if you aren't sure. I can't judge you and neither will anyone else on here because they don't know you.

Talk to him, if you need time to figure out your feelings then take that time. tell him how you feel otherwise its all going to go to ****.

Posted from TSR Mobile
stop being so scared and just be honest with him, talk through how you feel with him so he understands how you're feeling:tongue::rolleyes:
Reply 4
Original post by VelveteenBee
Talk to him, and tell him the things that you posted here. That's the easiest way to sort this all out. Marriage at 18 is young, but you do what's right for you and don't listen to the people that put you down, like the girls you were talking about. However, that's not to say don't listen to advice from those that care about you such as your parents and friends. It can be hard to figure out if you love someone or not, some may know right away and others might need time to figure it all out. Don't beat yourself up about that. Just remember to think long and hard about this and don't rush into marriage if you aren't sure. I can't judge you and neither will anyone else on here because they don't know you.

Talk to him, if you need time to figure out your feelings then take that time. tell him how you feel otherwise its all going to go to ****.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's exactly why I got scared. I haven't even considered marriage at this age or for a couple years later but he says he's scared that some guy will think he has a chance with me and doesn't want to lose me to anyone. My parents don't agree with marriage at this age but my mother (because she's met him multiple times before) says she wouldn't oppose after a couple of years. Shall I just tell him I'm not ready but willing to wait and see how we are with each other? I don't know how to start talking about it because we don't discuss our love lives with each other in detail so this is a little out of depths for me :s-smilie:
Reply 5
Original post by ThoughtIsFree
stop being so scared and just be honest with him, talk through how you feel with him so he understands how you're feeling:tongue::rolleyes:

Haha true but I just can't help it :tongue: I'm not used to this and it's a big jump to go from a girl who has casual relationships who is still a virgin to a girl who is engaged. I feel as if it's too much of a gap to cross. How do I go about telling him this and asking for time without hurting him?
Original post by Anonymous
Haha true but I just can't help it :tongue: I'm not used to this and it's a big jump to go from a girl who has casual relationships who is still a virgin to a girl who is engaged. I feel as if it's too much of a gap to cross. How do I go about telling him this and asking for time without hurting him?

i should think he'd understand seeing as you're quite young :tongue:
That's exactly why I got scared. I haven't even considered marriage at this age or for a couple years later but he says he's scared that some guy will think he has a chance with me and doesn't want to lose me to anyone. My parents don't agree with marriage at this age but my mother (because she's met him multiple times before) says she wouldn't oppose after a couple of years. Shall I just tell him I'm not ready but willing to wait and see how we are with each other? I don't know how to start talking about it because we don't discuss our love lives with each other in detail so this is a little out of depths for me :s-smilie:

If you aren't ready for marriage, tell him. He can't force you, and don't feel bad when he says he doesn't want to lose you to anyone. I personally think that your mother has the right idea in that waiting a few years, live a little and then see if you feel ready after that few years. I think she's mainly worried that if you get married right now, you'll miss out on the experiences you could have had and then wind up regretting it and resenting him. If he really wants to marry you, he will respect your feelings and wishes and not try and push you into it. Tell him that you don't want marriage right now, but would like to use this time to build a strong relationship with him (if that's what you want of course). If not just tell him you flat out don't want to get married and your reasons for it, and keep on telling him until he gets it.

I know it can be hard talking about your feelings with people, I myself find it hard because I don't like being seen as vulnerable. But I'm afraid it's the only way. If you find it hard to get the words out, write it all down and show him. Getting everything down on paper will help to clear your mind of all the jumbled thoughts and worries floating around in there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by VelveteenBee
If you aren't ready for marriage, tell him. He can't force you, and don't feel bad when he says he doesn't want to lose you to anyone. I personally think that your mother has the right idea in that waiting a few years, live a little and then see if you feel ready after that few years. I think she's mainly worried that if you get married right now, you'll miss out on the experiences you could have had and then wind up regretting it and resenting him. If he really wants to marry you, he will respect your feelings and wishes and not try and push you into it. Tell him that you don't want marriage right now, but would like to use this time to build a strong relationship with him (if that's what you want of course). If not just tell him you flat out don't want to get married and your reasons for it, and keep on telling him until he gets it.

I know it can be hard talking about your feelings with people, I myself find it hard because I don't like being seen as vulnerable. But I'm afraid it's the only way. If you find it hard to get the words out, write it all down and show him. Getting everything down on paper will help to clear your mind of all the jumbled thoughts and worries floating around in there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! That's made me feel much better and I will speak to him soon. I don't want to get married yet but I also don't want to lose what we have already. I'll take the time to strengthen our relationship and discuss this with him. What I'm also worried about, is that he's also rushing into this (he's only 21 which is young for marriage) and I think we should talk about this properly. I was initially scared of voicing everything because of his reaction but I'd rather do that than face regrets later. After all, we're both young and need to experience life just like you said (and like my parents would want). I'm not sure about this, but I think he thinks the only serious relationship I will get into is marriage (which isn't the case of course) because of my being lax with my previous relationships. Thank you so much again :smile:
Thank you! That's made me feel much better and I will speak to him soon. I don't want to get married yet but I also don't want to lose what we have already. I'll take the time to strengthen our relationship and discuss this with him. What I'm also worried about, is that he's also rushing into this (he's only 21 which is young for marriage) and I think we should talk about this properly. I was initially scared of voicing everything because of his reaction but I'd rather do that than face regrets later. After all, we're both young and need to experience life just like you said (and like my parents would want). I'm not sure about this, but I think he thinks the only serious relationship I will get into is marriage (which isn't the case of course) because of my being lax with my previous relationships. Thank you so much again :smile:

Sounds like you know what you want to do, glad I could be of help and I hope everything turns out for the best for you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Definitely talk to him! When you haven't been with anyone before, it's really easy to feel pressured into moving things along faster than you're comfortable with, and he definitely is doing that. I know when I first met my boyfriend, jokey comments about marriage from my friends at the time and not feeling comfortable with opening up to someone the way you should do in a relationship made me push him away a bit and he was convinced that I didn't want us to be anything more than friends. So I can't imagine how under pressure an actual marriage proposal would make you feel!

You clearly already have a strong bond, and he can't just propose to you because he thinks he'll lose you if you're not married. 18 is a young age and you have no idea what will happen in the future. You want to be with him now, but who knows how you might feel in a few years' time? Marriage is a huge commitment, and it seems like maybe he hasn't really thought it through if he thinks it's the only way you can be together. Tell him that you know you have something special with him but you don't feel you know him well enough to make such a big commitment, and you'd like to get to know him better and reconsider in a couple of years. Reassure him that he isn't going to lose you but you want to take things slowly and be honest with him about your fears of falling in love. If he does want to be with you enough to propose to you now so he doesn't lose you to anyone else, then so long as he knows you do feel something for him, he should respect that and wait and be willing to take things slowly with you.

When I look back to the time I fell in love with my boyfriend, I realise that falling was a very good verb to describe how it felt, and it was a bit frightening because it just started to happen; it was so intense and it was like I wasn't in control at all. Not to say it wasn't a good thing because the moment you realise you love someone and sharing that with them is utterly fantastic, but it's a very emotional thing and my head was all over the place for a bit. It's hard to get your head around if it's never happened to you before.
Reply 11
Original post by BlueSheep32
Definitely talk to him! When you haven't been with anyone before, it's really easy to feel pressured into moving things along faster than you're comfortable with, and he definitely is doing that. I know when I first met my boyfriend, jokey comments about marriage from my friends at the time and not feeling comfortable with opening up to someone the way you should do in a relationship made me push him away a bit and he was convinced that I didn't want us to be anything more than friends. So I can't imagine how under pressure an actual marriage proposal would make you feel!

You clearly already have a strong bond, and he can't just propose to you because he thinks he'll lose you if you're not married. 18 is a young age and you have no idea what will happen in the future. You want to be with him now, but who knows how you might feel in a few years' time? Marriage is a huge commitment, and it seems like maybe he hasn't really thought it through if he thinks it's the only way you can be together. Tell him that you know you have something special with him but you don't feel you know him well enough to make such a big commitment, and you'd like to get to know him better and reconsider in a couple of years. Reassure him that he isn't going to lose you but you want to take things slowly and be honest with him about your fears of falling in love. If he does want to be with you enough to propose to you now so he doesn't lose you to anyone else, then so long as he knows you do feel something for him, he should respect that and wait and be willing to take things slowly with you.

When I look back to the time I fell in love with my boyfriend, I realise that falling was a very good verb to describe how it felt, and it was a bit frightening because it just started to happen; it was so intense and it was like I wasn't in control at all. Not to say it wasn't a good thing because the moment you realise you love someone and sharing that with them is utterly fantastic, but it's a very emotional thing and my head was all over the place for a bit. It's hard to get your head around if it's never happened to you before.

Thank you!! I only just saw your comment and it does make sense the most :tongue: We've been speaking about it together for some time and he's willing to wait and see how things go but he is still hesitant. I've compromised with him saying that I will reconsider engagement as soon as I am in uni (I'm in Year 13 now) but marriage won't be for a couple of years. I've never felt like this about anyone, not even about my previous crushes or boyfriends so it is still a little strange and exciting in a scary way :tongue: I definitely understand what you mean and I'm glad we're taking this time because we're starting to know each other even more now and although I've never called him my boyfriend specifically (and vice versa) people can tell that we're together :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending