Most anticipated games of 2014 Watch

Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
2014 is shaping up to be a great year for gaming. With the new console generation in full swing it's time to see what developers have been hiding up their sleeves for the last few years for us to play :teeth: But these are just the games we are excited for, what about you? Let us know in the thread

Dark Souls II
March 14th, PC/Playstation 3/Xbox 360

Few game series can claim to dish out as much frustration and elation in equal measure as Bandai's Souls series. The two previous entries, Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, have become notorious amongst gamers looking for a truly unforgiving (but ultimately rewarding) experience, and Dark Souls II has no intention of breaking that trend. We don't know much about the plot yet, but the game's creators are promising the same level of challenge as its predecessors in a large, beautiful open world, whilst making changes to make the game more accessible to lure new players- presumably before breaking their spirits. Dark Souls II also has the honour of being one of the last triple A titles to be exclusive to the last generation of consoles, so hopefully PS4 and Xbox One owners have held on to their own machines.

Destiny
September 9th, Playstation 3/Playstation 4/Xbox 360/Xbox One

Destiny marks the return of Bungie, acclaimed creators of Halo, to console gaming for the first time since the release of Halo Reach almost four years ago, and it's definitely got fans of sci fi shooters excited. Destiny is an open world FPS with a focus on RPG elements and multiplayer gaming, in which players take on the role of a Guardian, defenders of the last city on earth after an apocalyptic event destroyed most life on the planet centuries before. Equipped with supernatural powers granted by the mysterious orb floating over the city and with a huge arsenal of weapons to hunt down, Destiny promises to deliver exciting sci fi action on the grand scale Bungie are renowned for.

inFamous: Second Son
March 21st, Playstation 4

The newest entry in one of Sony's most popular exclusive series sees the return of the frantic open world gameplay fans of the franchise have come to expect. Taking on the role of a new superpowered Conduit and graffiti artist Delsin Rowe, Second Son has players using the protagonist's newly discovered abilities to fight back against an oppressive new regime intent on destroying him and his kind.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
March 20th, Playstation 3/Playstation 4/Xbox 360/Xbox One

The Metal Gear series returns to its stealthy roots for the first time on consoles since 2008, and also sees the return of Snake. Players see Snake 30 years before the events of Metal Gear Solid, tasked with recovering some other familiar faces from a military base in Cuba. With an expansive world to explore and numerous ways to approach each mission, expect to see the return of the core Metal Gear experience when the game launches in March.

Mario Kart 8
May 2014, Wii U

It may have taken over a year for Nintendo to bring one of their most popular game franchises to the Wii U, but it just wouldn't be a Nintendo console without a Mario Kart game to call its own. There's no big surprises here, just the same arcade racing experience generation after generation of gamers have come to know and love, instead focusing on improved visuals and social aspects like the ability to share game clips with other players.

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
2014, PC/Playstation 3/Playstation 4/Xbox 360/Xbox One

Cinema goers may still be enjoying The Hobbit series, but this year gamers can look forward to revisiting Middle Earth from a different perspective during a different struggle. The game tells a story of revenge as the ranger Talion seeks out those responsible for the deaths of his family, as well as his own. With newly obtained Wraith powers Talion hunts down Orc commanders and other servants of Sauron, who have every chance of escaping and changing the way they interact with Talion thanks to the game's Nemesis system. For a darker take on the LOTR universe or for fans of Tolkien, Shadow of Mordor is not one you will want to miss.

Super Smash Bros for 3DS and Wii U
2014, Nintendo 3DS/Wii U

Another returning Nintendo Staple, Super Smash Bros brings the classic brawler into the new generation of handhelds and consoles. With its manic gameplay and eclectic cast of characters (if you've been waiting for a chance to play as the Wii Fit Personal Trainer in a more action packed game, you're finally in luck :lolwut:) meeting refined mechanics and beautiful visuals, Smash Bros is shaping up to be a must have for anyone with either Nintendo console.

Tom Clancy's The Division
2014, PC/Playstation 4/Xbox One

The Division marks a darker turn for the studio behind the various Tom Clancy game series, dropping players into a devastated New York City after it has been ravaged by a deadly virus, tasked with saving whatever remains of its inhabitants. Described by Ubisoft as a massively muliptlayer third person shooter, players must attempt to complete their missions whilst avoiding death at the hands of other hostile groups populating the world.

The Elder Scolls Online
April 4th 2014 (PC/Mac), June 22nd 2014 (Playstation 4, Xbox One)

Elder Scrolls Online has quite possibly got more non-MMO fans excited for an MMO release than any other game before it. Combining the core gameplay experience of the classic Elder Scrolls series with the mechanics and features of a true MMORPG is more than enough to knock the "multiplayer Elder Scrolls game" off the top of the wishlists of gamers the world over, with an enormous world of PVP and PVE quests for players to sink their teeth into.

Thief
February 28th, PC/Playstation 3/Playstation 4/Xbox 360/Xbox One

After a decade missing in action the Thief franchise finally resurfaces, much to the joy of fans of stealth games everywhere. Long standing series protagonist and master thief Garrett returns to his plague-ridden home city to prey on the valuables of its wealthy inhabitants. With combat a heavily discouraged and ineffective tactic, players are encouraged to make the most of Garrett's equipment and skills to find different and interesting ways of accomplishing his sneaky objectives.

Titanfall
March 14th, PC/Xbox 360/Xbox One

Arguably the most hotly anticipated FPS of the entire year, Titanfall has gotten plenty of people seriously excited and has been called Microsoft's biggest exclusive new franchise since Halo. The first game from Respawn Entertainment, formed by the founders of Infinity Ward (best known for their work on Call of Duty Modern Warfare and Modern Warfare 2), Titanfall is an entirely multiplayer shooter with both story driven and conventional game modes that sees teams of nimble free running pilots fighting to complete their objectives. What makes Titanfall unique are the Titans all players can call upon throughout the game, hulking mechs with as much customisability as you would expect from any modern shooter.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
2014, PC/Playstation 4/Xbox One

The Witcher series has been a firm favourite of gamers looking for a more mature RPG experience, and Wild Hunt looks set to deliver more of the same gritty fantasy action in a world that developers are claiming is larger than any seen before in any role playing game. The game marks the final chapter in the story of Geralt, a Witcher raised from birth to hunt down and slay monsters, although little else is known about the plot at this point.

Watch Dogs
2014, PC/Playstation 3/Playstation 4/Xbox 360/Xbox One/Wii U

Watch Dogs gives players unrivalled control over the world around them and there isn't a superpower in sight. You play as hacker Aiden Pierce, who uses his smartphone to intercept phone calls, steal straight from other people's bank accounts and tamper with traffic lights and power grids to cause collisions and panic. These skills are then put to use in missions like finding and killing targets, saving other potential assassination victims, and then evading the police afterwards as you escape. With some gunplay and parkour thrown in for good measure, Watch Dogs promises a unique action adventure experience.

World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor
2014, PC/Mac

MMOs come and go each year, but World of Warcraft remains the undisputed champ. Now a decade old and starting to show its age, Warlords of Draenor marks the fifth major expansion pack and looks to update WoW in more than just a cosmetic sense. With new, detailed character models to give the game an aesthetic boost, an increased level cap and the ability for new/low level players to jump straight up to level 90, as well as other features like a new game region and a garrison for players to develop, there's plenty to keep old players busy and to allow new players to catch up quickly if they want to.
shooks
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Great list! Second Son is probably going to be the title that gets me onto the PS4 bandwagon...
Nerd2
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Watch Dogs looks pretty bad ass!
Rum Ham
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Personally I'm mostly looking forward to Watch Dogs. I was raging when its release got pushed back from Nov 2013 to April 2014. Not long now though
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by shooks)
Great list! Second Son is probably going to be the title that gets me onto the PS4 bandwagon...
It's all about Titanfall and Watch Dogs for me :teeth:
mikeyd85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Project Cars
Q4 2014, Xbox One/PS4/WiiU/Windows/SteamOS

This community assisted title driven by Need For Speed Shift creators Slightly Mad Studios is looking to set a new standard for next gen racing games. With a massive list of cars, tracks and features, Project Cars could well be the stand out racing game of 2014. The already beautiful looking graphics and steadily advancing physics engine will put it well within Forza territory, but it's emphasis on motorsport (as opposed to car collecting) should evoke memories past of the players of Toca Race Driver games.
Reue
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I know there's an NDA for Elder Scrolls Online, so I cant officially say anything about it.. But I wont be picking up a new MMO this year

Edit: This guy sums it up pretty well:

The Elder Scrolls Online is currently in closed beta... they're stress testing, but there is still an NDA in place, so I can't really talk about whether I'm in it, or what I think of it.

Instead, let me tell you about these chocolate chip cookies I tried. I've had chocolate chip cookies before, and I liked them well enough... but I didn't think this particular recipe was any good. They certainly looked like chocolate chip cookies, but they didn't really taste a whole lot like chocolate chip cookies. Something about them was just... off.

I don't know, maybe if I absolutely, head-over-heel loved chocolate chip cookies, I would have liked this recipe better. Maybe I'm just not a big enough fan of chocolate chip cookies to begin for me to overlook the weird taste of this recipe. Overall I guess it just felt like this recipe was trading entirely on the established chocolate chip cookie name, rather than trying to be delicious all on its own. And so ultimately these cookies bring nothing new to the table, and everything they do, other cookies already do better.

Now, to be fair, this particular recipe is pretty new... perhaps not even quite finished yet. So I did take that into account when tasting the cookies. However, ultimately, when you put certain ingredients together in a certain way, it's pretty clear the kind of cookie you're going to get, and nothing short of major alterations will change the resulting taste. There comes a point when the baker has clearly committed to a certain concoction, and a pinch of salt here or a couple of extra minutes in the oven won't help.

Of course, recipes can evolve and change over enough time, and perhaps eventually the baker will tweak and adjust the ingredients to create something special. And I'm sure there are a lot of people out there that will just gobble these cookies up regardless. I personally just think they're bland, and not worth the asking price.
Airfairy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Had my eye on Watch Dogs for so long now. The date being pushed back sort of works well for me - right near dissertation deadline. Let the guilt free gaming commence .
steeler4life
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thief and Watch Dogs for me.
Betacra
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The Witcher 3, Dark Souls II and Watch Dogs are the ones I'm looking forward to the most. The ones I'm wary of are Titanfall and Thief because they could go horribly wrong, lets hope not!
Padwas
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
titan-fall and destiny for me
navarre
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros for me. I'll 'forget' to come out of my room, eat or contact anybody when those babies come out.
Ruffiio
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have no intention of buying a Xbox One or Playstation 4, my gaming life pretty much died when I started doing A levels a few years back. Now I'm at university It's more important than ever to concentrate on my studies, spending hundreds on a new console for a few hours here and there to relax just isn't going to happen. As a result I'm disappointed to say I won't be playing Elder Scrolls Online. If I ever do buy any new games, which is probably unlikely since console games are so expensive then they will be for Xbox 360. The only game i feel certain of getting is Dark Souls II because Dark Souls PvP is like MMOPRG PvP for those who don't have a good computer.
reikazen
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am excited for the Warcraft expansion but it consides with me being back to college . so will probably will miss it on purpose.

Have just preordered Thief and cant wait to play that.
Cal97g
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm looking forward most to the Elder Scrolls Online, Titanfall and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor.

All look pretty unique, TESO's release conflicts with my holiday, but I'll get a few days to play it before I go away.

Oh, and Dark Souls 2 I want to play, maybe once the Windows Live DRM is removed from Dark Souls 1 and I can actually play through it!
dynomit999
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Elder scrolls online should be pretty good

Posted from TSR Mobile
StacyJ
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Really looking forward to Watch Dog.

Asciant
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Looking forward to WoD and Titanfall looks pretty decent too.
dhr90
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Infamous second son looks good, but I will likely wait for the price to drop, The Division looks great, but again I will wait for a deal or the price to drop I think. Same with Project Cars.
Mushi_master
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Out of those, its Destiny, Thief, Watch Dogs, Shadow of Mordor, Mario Kart and Super Smash Brothers for me. Excellent line up so far, I'll never have time for them all!

To add to this list for me is South Park: The Stick of Truth, has been a long wait so far for that and I'm sure it won't disappoint!

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (125)
27.47%
1 (69)
15.16%
2 (70)
15.38%
3 (73)
16.04%
4 (35)
7.69%
5 (30)
6.59%