Does anyone feel guilty looking for a new job while still employed?

Watch
UniversityStudent4
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Ive been with this company 8 months, and really dislike it. Its not the job I want to do and I am currently looking to find a new job, but I can't help but feel really guilty about it. While I have some problems with the management the people I work with are great people and I would feel bad having to leave them. We are understaffed as it is and me potentially leaving would leave a lot of work for them to do.

I am really desperate to get out and I have started applying non stop but does anyone feel the same way, feeling guilty?
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by UniversityStudent4)
Ive been with this company 8 months, and really dislike it. Its not the job I want to do and I am currently looking to find a new job, but I can't help but feel really guilty about it. While I have some problems with the management the people I work with are great people and I would feel bad having to leave them. We are understaffed as it is and me potentially leaving would leave a lot of work for them to do.

I am really desperate to get out and I have started applying non stop but does anyone feel the same way, feeling guilty?
Don't feel guilty - this is the way the job market works. As you go through life you refine the sort of job you like and of course the type you don't want to do.

I have had two jobs that the moment I started I realised that I didn't want to stay on. I lasted 6 months for one and a year for the other. You have given it a good go - eight months is sufficient time - by the time you find a new position it will be nearly a year.
UniversityStudent4
Thanks for the reply. Im even more confused now, there has now been an internal vacancy which ideally I should go for and I think a lot of people are going to expect me to, but I dislike this working where I am so much, and have just been applying elsewhere. I don't know what to do, deep down I want to move on, but then I think if I don't go for this position then im holding myself back from a potential promotion, im not guaranteed to get it. Its just a mess.
alibee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I absolutely wouldn't feel guilty about it. Most people secure new jobs while still in work. It's completely normal. A sensible manager will plan for staff turnover and consider how a team would cope if someone leaves. If they haven't done that then they're a poor manager and I definitely wouldn't want to be working for them...
Ripper-Roo
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No you as an employee should choose where to work. If you aren't happy there you're doing the right thing by looking for another job whilst IN a job
beerbaitedballs
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No you shouldn't feel guilty, but I guess it shows you're capable of working with people if you're worried about leaving them in the lurch. If you stay there, then you'll be holding yourself back, it isn't your concern about their staff issues.

As for the promotion, if you think you might get it I'd go for it. This will make your CV look better and you might find the new position makes you change your opinion on the management, this isn't uncommon. You can also leave right after you start the new position, it's entirely up to you. What you should not do is tell them you want to leave and accept a counter offer for you to stay, continue applying and when you have the right new job, hand your notice in and leave.

You feel like you're in a crap position and it's getting to you, the reality is you're in a great position. You're working, you're earning money and have the luxury of waiting for the correct position. Much nicer situation than not having any job with no opportunities in your horizon.

I'm also in my position for 8 months and got a promotion at 6 months, things became a lot better, I was looking at leaving, it may be the best option for you.
meenu89
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No.
addylad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Eh? Any company getting into difficulty would drop you like a stone if necessary, so don't feel guilty.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Philbert
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Nope. I started looking for a better job only a few months into my last job because it really wasn't for me. I'm much happier now.

You've got to do what's right for you and your career. No point in being unhappy to please some company that doesn't give a **** about you.
UniversityStudent4
(Original post by beerbaitedballs)
No you shouldn't feel guilty, but I guess it shows you're capable of working with people if you're worried about leaving them in the lurch. If you stay there, then you'll be holding yourself back, it isn't your concern about their staff issues.

As for the promotion, if you think you might get it I'd go for it. This will make your CV look better and you might find the new position makes you change your opinion on the management, this isn't uncommon. You can also leave right after you start the new position, it's entirely up to you. What you should not do is tell them you want to leave and accept a counter offer for you to stay, continue applying and when you have the right new job, hand your notice in and leave.

You feel like you're in a crap position and it's getting to you, the reality is you're in a great position. You're working, you're earning money and have the luxury of waiting for the correct position. Much nicer situation than not having any job with no opportunities in your horizon.

I'm also in my position for 8 months and got a promotion at 6 months, things became a lot better, I was looking at leaving, it may be the best option for you.
Thanks for this, unfortunately the working environment just isn't for me. I will continue to apply for a job somewhere else because I feel I need a new fresh start somewhere. Plus I wouldn't want to apply for the promotion, get it, and then leave straight after. I haven't been happy at this company for a long time and feel the time to move on is now. Im looking for jobs in London or abroad, trying to expand my horizons a bit more.
moutonfou
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm in the same position, I feel guilty because this company really gave me my opportunity and took a chance on me, but the problem is the only promotions I could get would be in sales which I don't currently do and don't want to do. So even though I enjoy my current job, I need to think of my future and go somewhere else where there's a ladder for promotion in a role I want to do. I was on the fence but your post and everybody's kind replies have actually convinced me that I need to go for it!
ResidentSocio
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why would you feel guilty? Just leave. If you don't like the job, don't stay.
UniversityStudent4
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Problems are now that internal vacancy opportunities are coming up all the time, and I can't keep avoiding them, I feel that managers are going to get suspicious as to why he isn't going for these opportunities and ask me why im not pursuing these. Im just so unhappy (and im not the only one, a lot of my colleagues are) where I am at and am continuously looking for a new job but having no luck.

I do feel guilty for not going for them because it is better pay and I want to give back to my family but im so unhappy with the work environment, it just isn't for me.
grumbeale
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not at all. Every employee in every company is exploited.
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Look at it another way... if you hand in your resignation then they will have your notice period in which to find a replacement. Your replacement might enjoy the work more than you and as a result do a better job of it. You are happy because you've left, the company is happy too. If they don't find someone to replace you then that's their problem.

And to echo what other people have said... the only times people would expect to be properly unemployed is straight after graduating, or if made redundant, or if taking a deliberate "career break". You need to pay the bills somehow!
The pencil one
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Haha guilty? I feel privileged.

It's a free labour market anyone is entitled to get a job or even 2!
UniversityStudent4
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
The issue I have guys is that internal vacancies may come up soon, which means better positions and pay, but ultimately I just hate the work environment so much. I cant bring myself to get motivated there and im reluctant to apply for them because that means I will be stuck. I am continuously applying for other vacancies all the time.

A lot of people are unhappy there including my own manager, but its her bosses that make the environment so difficult to be in.
ihavemooedtoday
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I wouldn't feel guilty, as long as you are not using work time to do the job search.

What you do on your own time is your own business.

If the company doesn't like you and want to fire you, they will start looking for a replacement before firing you, too.
alibee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The issue I have guys is that internal vacancies may come up soon, which means better positions and pay, but ultimately I just hate the work environment so much. I cant bring myself to get motivated there and im reluctant to apply for them because that means I will be stuck. I am continuously applying for other vacancies all the time.

A lot of people are unhappy there including my own manager, but its her bosses that make the environment so difficult to be in.
You won't be stuck if you take an internal promotion.... I've taken promotion and then moved on within a couple of months before. I tend to think that I should push myself forward wherever possible. You don't know how long it'll take you to find something else.... I mean it's already taken you a few months since your first post, you could have been earning an improved wage that whole time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (344)
34.68%
No (648)
65.32%

Watched Threads