Will the internet cause grammar to die? Watch

MylittlePlusle
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I see a lot of people use incorrect grammar and word usage online. I.e capital letters, full stops, apostrophes, questions marks etc

It does my head in, I'm anal about punctuation and basic grammar online, I don't understand why it's so hard for people to use it, we learn it in school for a reason.

I've heard the argument that it's the internet, it's not school so therefore grammar doesn't matter, so does that mean that online 2+2=5? No it doesn't, rules are made for a reason, they are not meant to be broken.

I fear that in the future the word doesn't will no longer exist as don't will replaced all together, they're/their/there will no longer exist and will be replaced by one word meaning all of them, the same will happen to were and we're, its and it's, our and are and all the other words that sound the same but are different.

Full stops, capital letters, question marks and even paragraphs may no longer exist becuase people do not use grammar anymore...
paradoxicalme
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Grammar is used for clarity and conciseness. In short, simple messages, like the ones used in most text message convos, conciseness is better served through abbreviations and clarity isn't much of an issue. In all other mediums, especially academia, grammar's still important. So no, the internet won't kill grammar.
Old_Simon
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MylittlePlusle)
I see a lot of people use incorrect grammar and word usage online. I.e capital letters, full stops, apostrophes, questions marks etc

It does my head in, I'm anal about punctuation and basic grammar online, I don't understand why it's so hard for people to use it, we learn it in school for a reason.

I've heard the argument that it's the internet, it's not school so therefore grammar doesn't matter, so does that mean that online 2+2=5? no it doesn't, rules are made for a reason, they are not meant to be broken.

I fear that in the future the word doesn't will no longer exist as don't will replaced all together, they're/their/there will no longer exist and will be replaced by one word meaning all of them, the same will happen to were and we're, its and it's, our and are and all the other words that sound the same but are different.

Full stops, capital letters, question marks and even paragraphs may no longer exist becuase people do not use grammar anymore...
After your question mark you should start the next sentence and the word No with a capital letter. Just saying
Swanbow
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My bet is that by 2100 the English language will have undergone a mass simplification due to the prevalence of its use as a lingua franca between second language speakers. A more formal version of English will probably exist, just like how Classical and Vulgar Latin use to co-exist in Rome.

Languages are constantly evolving and changing, and there is nothing we can do to stop it. I bet that following the Norman invasion some hard-line Anglo-Saxons detested the use of Norman vocabulary but were unable to stop Old English evolving into Middle English.
MylittlePlusle
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Old_Simon)
After your question mark you should start the next sentence and the word No with a capital letter. Just saying
Thank you for that.
Old_Simon
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MylittlePlusle)
Thank you for that.
LOL.

I do agree with what you say actually.
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
One man's English is another man's morphology.

Now is it bihovely thyng to telle whiche been the sevene deedly synnes, this is to seyn, chiefaynes of synnes. Alle they renne in o lees, but in diverse manneres. Now been they cleped chieftaynes, for as muche as they been chief and spryng of alle othere synnes. Of the roote of thise sevene synnes, thanne, is Pride the general roote of alle harmes. For of this roote spryngen certein braunches, as Ire, Envye, Accidie or Slewthe, Avarice or Coveitise (to commune understondynge), Glotonye, and Lecherye. And everich of thise chief synnes hath his braunches and his twigges, as shal be declared in hire chapitres folwynge.

- Geoffrey Chaucer (1343-1400).

O, she doth teach the torches to burn bright!
It seems she hangs upon the cheek of night
1 a rich jewel in an Ethiope's ear,

Beauty too rich for use, for earth too dear!
So shows a snowy dove trooping with crows,
As yonder lady o'er her fellows shows.
The measure done, I'll watch her place of stand,
And, touching hers, make blessèd my rude hand.
Did my heart love till now? Forswear it, sight,
For I ne'er saw true beauty till this night.

- William Shakespeare (1564 - 1616)

If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger: I should not seem a part of it.—My love for Linton is like the foliage in the woods: time will change it, I'm well aware, as winter changes the trees.

- Emily Bronte (1818 - 1848)

ktwoodwards
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No - language/grammar has always been changing.
inniz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Language evolves.

Er.. you realise that modern Standard English was arbitrarily put together by people in 18th century Britain? God himself didn't come down and order we should say "you" instead of "thee" or "thou" haha...

That said, the only modern thing that irks me is stuff like "James's pen" over "James' pen". Seems redundant to me, and people must be dopey/retarded if they can't pronounce the s on James. I sound hypocritical, but i don't care lol..

And all languages must have grammar, right? How else can you communicate without a common grounding? Saying "je suis ne a Allegmane" means **** to somebody who doesn't know French (I wasn't born in Germany, it's just an example).
Old_Simon
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you do a lot of writing to US folk eg email for business it is really tedious remembering two lots of spelling or being permanently out of step and looking ignorant.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (135)
18.12%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (76)
10.2%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (128)
17.18%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (106)
14.23%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (74)
9.93%
How can I be the best version of myself? (226)
30.34%

Watched Threads