The Student Room Group

particle physics question - ALevel

A pion can decay to produce 2 leptons.
I thought the answer would be
pi0 = e- + ve
but the markscheme says pi+ = e+ + ve

http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP%20GCE%20Curriculum%202000/June%202012%20-%20QP/6PH04_01_que_20120611.pdf

it's question 9
thankyou
Reply 1
Make sure the charges on the right are equal to the charges on the left.

equation: pi+ = e+ + ve
charge 1 = 1 + 0

So the answer is A.

B is incorrect because the total charge on the left is 0 while the total charge on the right is -1.
Original post by BaronKhan
Make sure the charges on the right are equal to the charges on the left.

equation: pi+ = e+ + ve
charge 1 = 1 + 0

So the answer is A.

B is incorrect because the total charge on the left is 0 while the total charge on the right is -1.

but i thought ve was a positron? the charge on a positron is +1 isnt it?
so -1 +1 = 0
Reply 3
Ve is an electron neutrino. Positrons are e+.

An electron neutrino is a neutrino, and neutrinos (and antineutrinos) are always neutrally charged. The 'e' in 've' just shows it was produced alongside a positron (or electron if it is an antineutrino).

ve is neutral.
anti ve is neutral.

There are also muon neutrinos (Vµ) and these are also always neutral.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by BaronKhan
Ve is an electron neutrino. Positrons are e+.

An electron neutrino is a neutrino, and neutrinos (and antineutrinos) are always neutrally charged. The 'e' in 've' just shows it was produced alongside a positron (or electron if it is an antineutrino).

ve is neutral.
anti ve is neutral.

There are also muon neutrinos (Vµ) and these are also always neutral.

ohno im confused now :c
so ve is an electron neutrino? is that a lepton or wa?
is a positron a lepton?
Reply 5
Yes, they are both leptons.

Leptons are just light-weighted particles. They include electrons, muons and neutrinos, as well as their antimatter counterparts (positrons, anti-muons and anti-neutrinos).

Electrons can be either negative or positive (known as positrons). Muons can be positve, negative or have no charge.

Neutrinos are always neutral so they never have a charge. Neutrinos are common 'leftovers' in particle decay. Neutrinos have the symbol, ν, and antineutrinos also have the symbol v but with a bar on top. However, you'll almost always see this v symbol accompanied by a small e or μ, which shows that the neutrino (or anti-neutrino) came from that specific lepton (e for electron; μ for muon).

Below is a link to a really, really good website which I used for my A-Level physics revision, specifically the page about leptons:

http://www.antonine-education.co.uk/Pages/Physics_1/Particles/PP07/particles_page_7.htm

Edit: There is another lepton called tau, but I doubt they'll ask about it.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest