The Student Room Group

Scottish Medical/Dental/Vet Med/Oxbridge Applicants!

Noticed in our wee forum that there's a good few of you thinking of applying for the above, so I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread where people can ask questions, and those of us who have been through the system can try and offer some advice, and where we can generally discuss the applications process/uni choices/personal statements etc.

So... who's all thinking of applying then? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
moi (med) :biggrin: ....and Dhesi (dental methinks)....and Dreamy Girl? (med?)
Great! Where are you thinking of applying?
Reply 3
Yeah im dentistry I just didnt type in here because it said oxbridge. Anyway I'm applying to Glasgow, Dundee, Newcastle and im unsure of my 4th. Maybe someone can give me some advice.
Dhesi
Yeah im dentistry I just didnt type in here because it said oxbridge. Anyway I'm applying to Glasgow, Dundee, Newcastle and im unsure of my 4th. Maybe someone can give me some advice.

I'm pretty sure KCL does dentistry? If they'd given me a slightly lower offer for medicine I would have taken it as my insurance in a heartbeat. Not sure of stats, but it may be quite competitive being a London school, but as you're a Scottish applicant you're probably at an advantage for English unis. At least, that was how it appeared to be for Medicine this year. I know someone going to do dentistry at Cardiff, but I really don't know much about it as a uni/course. Something to think about anyway.
Reply 5
I was thinking of Birmingham or Liverpool but im going to do a bit of research, just not keen on London.
Reply 6
I really dunno where i fancy going...probably Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee...then an English one...or St Andrews...I really dunno...I don't think I wanna go to Glasgow though...seems as though everyone I know's going there...I wanna be different!!
Hmm I think I'm allowed to post here. I'm wanting to go to cambridge to do maths with physics, probably at Jesus. I might apply to King's (I would love the idea of a left-winger college, but, without being homophobic, I must admit I'm put off with the whole "gay" reputation). Robinson and Sydney Sussex seem like nice little places too. I don't want to go anywhere too big, and to be honest I don't have enough confidence to apply for maths at trinity anyway.

Unforunately I'm not planning on doing medicine, so I'm probably totally useless for the majority of this discussion. Although I did buy the anatomy colouring book today :biggrin:
Reply 8
I think King's sounds great: left-leaning, welcoming.

Why does the "gay" thing put you off?
ad absurdum
Hmm I think I'm allowed to post here. I'm wanting to go to cambridge to do maths with physics, probably at Jesus. I might apply to King's (I would love the idea of a left-winger college, but, without being homophobic, I must admit I'm put off with the whole "gay" reputation). Robinson and Sydney Sussex seem like nice little places too. I don't want to go anywhere too big, and to be honest I don't have enough confidence to apply for maths at trinity anyway.

Ooh, I applied to do Maths with Physics at Robinson - it is indeed a very nice college, but be prepared to have a lot of people commenting on bricks. The garden's gorgeous, though. It was only after I applied that I realised the prospectus said there were 17 places for the course, in comparison to 210 for Maths, and probably a similar number for Physics [can't remember exactly]. Because of that, I would say that if you think you'd end up studying only Physics, or only Maths, it might be wiser to apply for one of those courses instead.

People applying to Oxbridge for maths/physics things, do feel free to pm me and I will happliy advise you on what not to do in the interviews :biggrin:
ad absurdum

Unforunately I'm not planning on doing medicine, so I'm probably totally useless for the majority of this discussion. Although I did buy the anatomy colouring book today :biggrin:

Sidney's so nice! From what I hear there's a lot (relatively speaking) of Scottish people there, and the majority of students are state-schooled (if you're bothered about that sort of thing). Apparently it's politically neutral and quite relaxed (for Cambridge), and students there have a reputation for being friendly. If/when I get there, I can give you more insight, but I would suggest having a think about it!
tiggerish
I think King's sounds great: left-leaning, welcoming.

Why does the "gay" thing put you off?
It's not a prejudice on my part, it's just that even from my time spent on these forums I can see that there unfortunately seems to be a bit of a stereotypical view of the college, and it's bad enough being associated with stereotypes that sort of fit you but worse still to be associated with stereotypes that don't fit you at all.

ImperceptibleNinja
Ooh, I applied to do Maths with Physics at Robinson - it is indeed a very nice college, but be prepared to have a lot of people commenting on bricks. The garden's gorgeous, though. It was only after I applied that I realised the prospectus said there were 17 places for the course, in comparison to 210 for Maths, and probably a similar number for Physics [can't remember exactly]. Because of that, I would say that if you think you'd end up studying only Physics, or only Maths, it might be wiser to apply for one of those courses instead.
I didn't understand the bold part...

Yeah, I realise that the course will be really difficult to get into :frown: I'm actually in a bit of a predicament because I'm only interested in maths and physics, so I'm not particularly interested in the NatSci course (well, not the Cambridge one at least). Maths with physics would be the ideal course for me, but I think I would be more likely to impress on the physics front than the maths one, so whilst I'm pretty comfortable with STEP and the like I've got a bad feeling that I'll come across as too physics-y for what is essentially a maths course :frown: Plus I imagine it would be more difficult to get in to. I'll probably still apply for this course though, because I don't think I would be as happy if I was doing a maths course without any physics.

Did you get an offer to do maths with physics?

friendlyneutron
Sidney's so nice! From what I hear there's a lot (relatively speaking) of Scottish people there, and the majority of students are state-schooled (if you're bothered about that sort of thing). Apparently it's politically neutral and quite relaxed (for Cambridge), and students there have a reputation for being friendly. If/when I get there, I can give you more insight, but I would suggest having a think about it!
Ah that does seem like a nice place. I am a little worried that about coming from a state school (a really bad one at that) to a place like Cambridge, and I wouldn't like to get thrown in with a bunch of middle-class English people who I couldn't relate to at all so I'll keep in mind that Sydney Sussex* has a good proportion of Scottish state-schoolers :smile:

Edit - *I get confused...
Ah, sorry. Robinson college isn't made of much other than bricks. People applying to other colleges sometimes laugh at that...

Sadly, I didn't get an offer from Robinson - I didn't get pooled either, but I suppose that's less harsh than being pooled then rejected. They sent out a letter describing me as 'an average applicant', which caused an amusing combination of hilarity and shock among my teachers :biggrin: That was some consolation.

What other universities are you considering applying to?

I'm a bit like you with the maths/physics thing - I couldn't decide between the two, and although I could probably manage either, I like doing them together. I hope I haven't put you off with my little tales of misery...
ad absurdum

Ah that does seem like a nice place. I am a little worried that about coming from a state school (a really bad one at that) to a place like Cambridge, and I wouldn't like to get thrown in with a bunch of middle-class English people who I couldn't relate to at all so I'll keep in mind that Robinson has a good proportion of Scottish state-schoolers :smile:

I really wouldn't worry about it, most students at Cambridge are state-educated, and once you get to uni no-one seems to really care. If they do care, they're not worth associating with!
ImperceptibleNinja
Ah, sorry. Robinson college isn't made of much other than bricks. People applying to other colleges sometimes laugh at that...

Sadly, I didn't get an offer from Robinson - I didn't get pooled either, but I suppose that's less harsh than being pooled then rejected. They sent out a letter describing me as 'an average applicant', which caused an amusing combination of hilarity and shock among my teachers :biggrin: That was some consolation.

What other universities are you considering applying to?

I'm a bit like you with the maths/physics thing - I couldn't decide between the two, and although I could probably manage either, I like doing them together. I hope I haven't put you off with my little tales of misery...
Haha yeah, I'm staying there next week actually for a physics summer school thing and I thought that it looked rather odd in the photos :p:

An average applicant? What where your grades/extra-cirricular stuff?

I'm probably going to apply to Durham (I quite like the look of their NatSci course, which lets me do all physics and maths), Imperial, St. Andrews and Edinburgh (although this may change as I would rather get away from Edinburgh). What uni are you hoping to go to?

friendlyneutron
I really wouldn't worry about it, most students at Cambridge are state-educated, and once you get to uni no-one seems to really care. If they do care, they're not worth associating with!
Ah well that's okay then I suppose :smile: Hopefully there are will be a few like-minded people at Cambridge then, if I get there.
ad absurdum
Haha yeah, I'm staying there next week actually for a physics summer school thing and I thought that it looked rather odd in the photos :p:

An average applicant? What where your grades/extra-cirricular stuff?

I'm probably going to apply to Durham (I quite like the look of their NatSci course, which lets me do all physics and maths), Imperial, St. Andrews and Edinburgh (although this may change as I would rather get away from Edinburgh). What uni are you hoping to go to?

My grades are, so far, all A's , and I was educated at home before Highers & Advanced Highers, so I don't have any Standard Grades [but I explained all that in my personal statement]. I've done well in extra-curricular maths stuff as well, and have a variety of interests which were evidence to the fact that I don't spend my entire life doing maths/physics :p: However, I messed up the interviews, and I do think they're important in the selection process - more important, perhaps, than exams - one of my friends got an offer for Physics even though I had better predicted grades.

Hopefully I'll be going to St Andrews - it was hard to decide between there and Warwick.

When you're at the summer school, have a look at the church in the college - the stained glass windows are spectacular.:biggrin:
ImperceptibleNinja
My grades are, so far, all A's
, and I was educated at home before Highers & Advanced Highers, so I don't have any Standard Grades [but I explained all that in my personal statement]. I've done well in extra-curricular maths stuff as well, and have a variety of interests which were evidence to the fact that I don't spend my entire life doing maths/physics :p: However, I messed up the interviews, and I do think they're important in the selection process - more important, perhaps, than exams - one of my friends got an offer for Physics even though I had better predicted grades.

Hopefully I'll be going to St Andrews - it was hard to decide between there and Warwick.

When you're at the summer school, have a look at the church in the college - the stained glass windows are spectacular.:biggrin:Hmm, I don't see how straight A's is "average". What extra-cirricular maths did you do? Math's challenges and the like? I imagine that the interview would be quite important but it's quite worrying that they seem to place such an emphasis on it.

St. Andrews is a lovely university, I've never seen Warwick but I hear that's a really good uni too.

I'll be sure to check out the church :smile:
NathanM
moi (med) :biggrin: ....and Dhesi (dental methinks)....and Dreamy Girl? (med?)

Lol yup med for me!

EDIT: Hopefully...
I did the Scottish Maths challenge thing last year, and generally read a good bit of stuff about Maths and Physics - the books are always so expensive, though - £10 for a tiny paperback is just insane :smile:. New Scientist is good as well.

Are you doing Further Maths at AH? I didn't even realise it existed until it was too late, and it would probably be pretty useful.
ImperceptibleNinja
I did the Scottish Maths challenge thing last year, and generally read a good bit of stuff about Maths and Physics - the books are always so expensive, though - £10 for a tiny paperback is just insane :smile:. New Scientist is good as well.

Are you doing Further Maths at AH? I didn't even realise it existed until it was too late, and it would probably be pretty useful.

Apparently AH Maths is the equivalent to A-Level Further Maths *feels smug, as the English need two subjects to cover what we do in one, nanner nanner*

dreamy, do you know where you're applying yet?

Latest

Trending

Trending