The Student Room Group

I can't be myself with therapists

How do I find therapists who are non-judgmental?

I can't be myself and how I think/reason, but then they try and change my personality.

I told them once that I sometimes like to lie in bed with my gf all day, have sex, talk, etc. but then they said this is "not normal". er.. not normal how? is that in the DSM?

Is it me, do i have a very simple life view (some things in life ARE simple)?
Reply 1
Original post by inniz
How do I find therapists who are non-judgmental?

I can't be myself and how I think/reason, but then they try and change my personality.

I told them once that I sometimes like to lie in bed with my gf all day, have sex, talk, etc. but then they said this is "not normal". er.. not normal how? is that in the DSM?

Is it me, do i have a very simple life view (some things in life ARE simple)?

The DSM makes me smile,entire mental health conditions can be created in this book of fairy tales.
If you sneeze more than "acceptable" you have ' sneezoid disorder'.
Self-defeating personality disorder was included then vanished,not all but many of the disorders are created by a committee who are in cahoots with pharmaceutical companies.
What is odd?
Everything is relative to personal perception of life based on experiences,etc.
Laying in bed with a partner is great,and as healthy as can be.
Reply 2
That's the standard diagnostic tool but then medicine cannot be ad hoc. It's called science for a reason.
Not everyone is guaranteed to click with the first therapist they see. If I were you I'd ask whereever you're seeing the therapist if they have another one you could see instead.
Reply 4
Original post by Sabertooth
Not everyone is guaranteed to click with the first therapist they see. If I were you I'd ask whereever you're seeing the therapist if they have another one you could see instead.

This is true. At least you provided a thorough answer, the girl above most likely supports clinical abuse and doesn't seem nice anyhow :smile:
I know what you mean. It's so hard to trust and open up to someone without feeling like they're judging you. Just keep trying and eventually you will find someone you click one. Also there's nothing wrong with lying in bed all day with your girlfriend! If anything I wish I could relax enough to do that :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest