sneakbo2
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
So my ISA is next week and of course I really want a good grade in this, I dont want any more pressure on my exams in june.

If any of you who were successful in your past physics ISA can tell me how you achieved this and what sort of learning approach you took to the ISAs it will be much appreciated. My school personally does not do a very good job of teaching us how to answer ISAs :confused:
pixie girl
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
As long as you know the key words such as reliable, reproducible, repeatable etc then you will be fine, make sure you can write a decent method as it is worth a lot of marks, and in the exams you need to state the obvious to get a lot of the marks. Good luck
pearson1995
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by pixie girl)
As long as you know the key words such as reliable, reproducible, repeatable etc then you will be fine, make sure you can write a decent method as it is worth a lot of marks, and in the exams you need to state the obvious to get a lot of the marks. Good luck

When you say key words such as reliable, reproducible and repeatable, do you mean:

Reliable - Repeat readings are close to one another (and if a line of best fit is drawn, all points plotted on the graph are close to it)

But what do you mean by Reproducible and Repeatable? Aren't they the same.
pixie girl
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by pearson1995)
When you say key words such as reliable, reproducible and repeatable, do you mean:

Reliable - Repeat readings are close to one another (and if a line of best fit is drawn, all points plotted on the graph are close to it)

But what do you mean by Reproducible and Repeatable? Aren't they the same.
You will probably get a question about repeating your results/comparing them with somebody else's results; you should say that doing the experiment again will show if your results are repeatable, or if you compare them to another set then you can check your results, see if the trend/pattern is the same, if this is the case then the results are reproducible. The difference between reproducible and repeatable is that if you repeat the experiment the results are repeatable, but if another person repeats the experiment then they are reproducible.
pearson1995
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by pixie girl)
You will probably get a question about repeating your results/comparing them with somebody else's results; you should say that doing the experiment again will show if your results are repeatable, or if you compare them to another set then you can check your results, see if the trend/pattern is the same, if this is the case then the results are reproducible. The difference between reproducible and repeatable is that if you repeat the experiment the results are repeatable, but if another person repeats the experiment then they are reproducible.

Could you say that by comparing your results with someone else's, you could see if there is a small % difference between the two and are therefore reproducible/repeatable?
GoldGhost
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by pearson1995)
Could you say that by comparing your results with someone else's, you could see if there is a small % difference between the two and are therefore reproducible/repeatable?
I think that comparing with a partner shows that your results are reproducible. Also, it demonstrates that other people performed the experiment and had similar results because they were testing the same variables and had the same trend.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (10)
13.89%
I need help researching courses (5)
6.94%
I need help with filling out the application form (4)
5.56%
I need help with my personal statement (30)
41.67%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (18)
25%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.78%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
4.17%

Watched Threads