Do people make lots of close friends at uni?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I currently have no close friends and hoping this might change come sept when i start uni
username1332537
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeah you can make friends anywhere and uni is great for new friends
lou_100
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Some people do, yes. I'd say most people, but not everyone. I mean, the effort has to be put in obviously.

If you currently have no close friends but would like to start afresh and make some good friends, perhaps consider before you start why it is that you don't currently have any close friends, and if it's personal or character reasons (i.e. as opposed to situational reasons beyond your control e.g. you've moved about schools a lot) then just keep them in mind.

A tip is that being in a big, busy hall with corridors has really helped the closeness in my group of friends. We're always knocking on each others doors, and going down to the dinner hall together (it's a catered hall), pre-drinking/clubbing together. When you see and interact with a group every day, some close friendships are going to form.
jimmyclyro
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I didn't but I was never really that bothered about it, I have my close friends from school and college and just didn't really feel the need for more close friends.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by lou_100)
Some people do, yes. I'd say most people, but not everyone. I mean, the effort has to be put in obviously.

If you currently have no close friends but would like to start afresh and make some good friends, perhaps consider before you start why it is that you don't currently have any close friends, and if it's personal or character reasons (i.e. as opposed to situational reasons beyond your control e.g. you've moved about schools a lot) then just keep them in mind.

A tip is that being in a big, busy hall with corridors has really helped the closeness in my group of friends. We're always knocking on each others doors, and going down to the dinner hall together (it's a catered hall), pre-drinking/clubbing together. When you see and interact with a group every day, some close friendships are going to form.

How about if im living at home?
jay2013
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Even if you're living at home you can still make friends, however, how close they become depends on how well you get along with them.

You'll meet people on your course and could become close friends with them.

Most universities have societies - you could join one, even just for fun and meet new people. That's what I did. I joined the student newspaper and met some new people, including the Kenyan-born editor. Me and him became close while at university and still are to a certain extent, although it's kinda of difficult seeing as he's back in Kenya.
inniz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'd say a lot do.

You'd have plenty of people like you in the same boat, so you can connect with them easily.
Salmon22
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Depends. Others yes, me no.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Salmon22)
Depends. Others yes, me no.
Are u shy??
lou_100
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Look, it's still perfectly possible, just far far more difficult.

You'll no doubt make friends, and maybe fairly good friends if you make a real effort to invite them to do things outside of uni (and eventually vice versa etc), but if you're talking about properly close friends, it's going to be tough. Especially if they all live together and spend every morning and evening seeing each other around their self-catered apartments or at dinner in a catered hall.

It's going to be easier for them to arrange 2nd year housing, which you may want to get in on and consider moving out of your parents' for a couple years in order to make these life-long close friends. However, even if you don't, I think it will still be easier making close friends from 2nd year onwards, the whole social hall atmosphere means that in first year everyone is so excited with new friendships that there's only so many close friendships they can have (thought to be around 5 according to research, but don't worry I won't get too technical - just highlighting the point that close friends are limited in number for everyone ), and those will most likely be those they come into contact with most around them.

PS. note that I'm trying to make a clear distinction between a good friend, and a close friend. You specify a close friend, implying emotional closeness, care and a lasting friendship. Living at home, you'll have a tough (but not impossible) time with creating and upholding these.
phunky_fresh
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I didn't have friends at uni lol. There wasn't really anyone I clicked with. There were people in my course and around uni I spoke to though. Funnily enough I left uni four years ago and now I've become friends with a group of girls I went to uni with, we met through a mutual friend.

I know quite a few people that didn't really have close friends at uni to be honest. It happens.
Salmon22
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Are u shy??
No, just lazy and insecure. My bad experience the first time I tried Uni made me withdraw into myself and not put the effort in to meet people. The people I did meet I was worried wouldn't like me and think I was boring, so I made up stories about myself to seem interesting. This put up walls between me and these people and meant that we could never truly be friends no matter how much we hung out, they were friends with this character I had created, not me. Nobody but myself to blame really.

My advice get out there, meeting and networking from the start, otherwise you will end up like me in the 3rd year, bitter and alone.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (135)
14.35%
I'm not sure (41)
4.36%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (284)
30.18%
I have already dropped out (24)
2.55%
I'm not a current university student (457)
48.57%

Watched Threads