Have I become lactose intolerant? Watch

dancurzon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Since I was a child, I've always had a healthy diet and been fine with lactose. Over the last week or so though, my bowel movements change even after a cup of tea with milk. Sorry to be crude, but I'm letting out mean farts every 5 minutes and I'm excreting between 5-8 times a day. What's going on, and should I visit my GP?

Posted from TSR Mobile
shaw16
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
In the past couple of years I was experiencing the exact same problem. Every morning I would have cereal (with milk naturally) and minutes later would want to throw up after passing wind, I was also suffering from intense stomach cramps and as a result visited my GP who said it might be IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome). The doctor probably had no idea and only diagnosed IBS because it was quick. I didn't think I was lactose intolerant because my symptoms weren't present after eating cheese or other diary products. Maybe we have developed an intolerance for milk only? :mad:

On whether you can BECOME lactose intolerant - I have no idea if it is caused by environmental factors or is hereditary or both. :confused: All I know is that if I want an easy morning I eat toast instead.
mooomooo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Lactose intolerance is caused by a reduction in the production of the enzymes that break lactose down. It's completely natural for our bodies to lose the ability to break lactose down as we age, as we are not naturally meant to consume lactose past the weaning age! It's pretty common to develop lactose intolerance and for it to worsen through adulthood!
Go and see your GP to check what is really going on
bj27
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm in the same situation, so I decided to quit things that made me **** in caffeine and any lactose rich products. Turned out I no longer had the bad bowels. It was just lactose intolerance.
username91207
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've had the same problem - I've cut out milk, yogurt and cheese (cheese being the main culprit) and I'm so much better now.

I'm fine with any other dairy though.
kpwxx
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's also probably worth avoiding dairy products until you've been to the doctors at least. It may be a temporary problem that could CAUSE lactose intolerance if you continue to consume it before you've recovered.

Also the doctor is likely to ask you to cut out lactose then try it again after a few weeks to test anyway.

xxx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (274)
65.55%
No (144)
34.45%

Watched Threads