This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
could anyone do that find the length of the tagent from point p(6,8) to the circle . im sure we werent given enough info - its unanswerable!
mensandan
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I will give it a go. If you can post the question I am sure someone will be able to help, all the best, Dan
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Ok, just for the record I couldn't manage this one either, and nor could my further maths collegue (both of us had Pure 4 straight after).

We had, earlier in the question, for 5 cute marks out of 60, already established that we have a circle of radius 7, centre (-2, 7).

Find the length of the tangent from the point P(6,8) to the circle.

(4 marks)
mensandan
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I have just drawn this on paper and come up with the answer. Where the tangent meets the circle you have a right angle formed with the radius to that point so you have a right angled triangle. The short sides are the radius and the one you want. To get the hypotenuse you need the distance between circle centre and P = Sqrt((6--2)^2 + (8-7)^2) = Root 65

Now using Pythagoras' theorem:

you want, (root65)^2 - 7^2 = missing side^2

So the answer is root 16
Therefore 4 units:

Hope this satisfies your curiosity. DAN
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Nice work, tangent is perp to radius I knew, - and had drawn on... annoyingly I couldn't make the link with the lengths and units involved.

Seems quite shoddy that ya get 5 marks for completing the square, and finding the radius and the centre of the circle, and you have to do that much work for 4.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (163)
15.45%
Uncertainty around my education (172)
16.3%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (103)
9.76%
Isolating with family (71)
6.73%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (39)
3.7%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (91)
8.63%
Loneliness (106)
10.05%
Financial worries (48)
4.55%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (97)
9.19%
Exposure to negative news/social media (74)
7.01%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (91)
8.63%

Watched Threads