The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Bristol Firmers for 2014-2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by FlyHigh_er
Oh so did you see the zoology dept at Bristol? And how on earth did you write your PS for both? Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

The visit day for zoology at Bristol wasn't very personal and was much shorter than the visit day for earth sciences. For the zoology day we all listened to a short lecture then got put in a room with sandwiches so we could talk to current students and staff (there was a tour, but it was optional), then we could go home. With Earth sciences it seemed much more personal.

As for my PS, I just talked about my interest in the history of life (I did an EPQ on a palaeontological topic last year, so just speaking about that sort of ticked both boxes). :biggrin:
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 81
Just firmed Bristol for Aerospace Engineering.

What a hard decision that was.
Original post by Kiwi789
The visit day for zoology at Bristol wasn't very personal and was much shorter than the visit day for earth sciences. For the zoology day we all listened to a short lecture then got put in a room with sandwiches so we could talk to current students and staff (there was a tour, but it was optional), then we could go home. With Earth sciences it seemed much more personal.

As for my PS, I just talked about my interest in the history of life (I did an EPQ on a palaeontological topic last year, so just speaking about that sort of ticked both boxes). :biggrin:

Wow, that would have been short because the earth sciences open day was long, nearly five hours as well. Which accom did they take you to see on Wednesday?

Ah, I see, it seems like a long time since I wrote my PS XD Palaeontology is the bit of geology I'm not particularly interested in. You go on the pre-freshers field trip as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow, that would have been short because the earth sciences open day was long, nearly five hours as well. Which accom did they take you to see on Wednesday?

Ah, I see, it seems like a long time since I wrote my PS XD Palaeontology is the bit of geology I'm not particularly interested in. You go on the pre-freshers field trip as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pre-freshers field trip..?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 84

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I'll be at the pre-freshers trip. :biggrin: I wonder what it will be like, they didn't go into detail, and I didn't think to ask at the time, will it be in Dorset or do you know if they change location each year?:confused:

What areas of Geology are you interested in? I don't know much about geology yet to be quite honest - I can quote the names of topics like volcanology, sedimentology and structural geology but I don't know much about them yet - I never had the chance to do geology (or geography, which is sort of similar I think) at A level or even at GCSE level because my school didn't offer either of them:frown:.
Original post by puella_optima
Pre-freshers field trip..?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yah, all earth science students go on a trip before freshers to get to know one another and see what field trips will be like. Lol, didn't they tell you at the open day? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kiwi789
Yeah, I'll be at the pre-freshers trip. :biggrin: I wonder what it will be like, they didn't go into detail, and I didn't think to ask at the time, will it be in Dorset or do you know if they change location each year?:confused:

What areas of Geology are you interested in? I don't know much about geology yet to be quite honest - I can quote the names of topics like volcanology, sedimentology and structural geology but I don't know much about them yet - I never had the chance to do geology (or geography, which is sort of similar I think) at A level or even at GCSE level because my school didn't offer either of them:frown:.

I think it's he same place every ear, but thy didn't go into much detail when I was there either.

I haven't done gcse or a level geology as well, but in gcse physics there was some geology, ie plate tectonics, Alfred Wegner. Then also at gcse physics there was some rock formation stuff, like sedimentary, metamorphic an igneous rocks? That's all geology. Then also how a volcano forms.

Maybe you didn't do all that. But I'm interested in petrology, tectonics and volcanology and a bit of planetary. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 87
Anyone thinking of going to Goldney for their place of residence next year? :smile:
Reply 88
Original post by Mr Tall
Anyone thinking of going to Goldney for their place of residence next year? :smile:

I am!! I'm in love with it, so I hope I can get in. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 89
Original post by Katia1828
I am!! I'm in love with it, so I hope I can get in. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

class! I have not even looked into the application process... how do they pick who gets in and who doesn't?
Reply 90
Original post by Mr Tall
class! I have not even looked into the application process... how do they pick who gets in and who doesn't?

Based on what I've heard, they try to get people their first or second choice, but their top priority is making sure each hall is very diverse in terms of people's subjects, so it's kind of a lottery. xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 91
Just firmed for Econs and Finance. Anyone similar? :smile:
Firmed Bristol Aerospace Engineering!!! :biggrin:
Reply 93
Hey peepz, how many of you guys are from private schools? I heard Bristol has quite a lot of students from middle-class families. I'm worried I might not fit in if I'm honest
Original post by AnharM
Hey peepz, how many of you guys are from private schools? I heard Bristol has quite a lot of students from middle-class families. I'm worried I might not fit in if I'm honest

How come? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/10728091/The-universities-with-the-most-and-least-state-school-students.html don't think people from private schools are that snooty..just the media hyping things up like they usually do. Just stay away from arrogant people in general :smile: there are thousands of students at Bristol, of course you'll fit in!! :smile:

Besides not everyone who goes to a private school is from a middle class background!! people always forget that!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Mr Tall

Yep:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 96
Original post by puella_optima
How come? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/10728091/The-universities-with-the-most-and-least-state-school-students.html don't think people from private schools are that snooty..just the media hyping things up like they usually do. Just stay away from arrogant people in general :smile: there are thousands of students at Bristol, of course you'll fit in!! :smile:

Besides not everyone who goes to a private school is from a middle class background!! people always forget that!

I'm from London, where people normally speak slang haha. I don't want to forget my roots, I love my roots! But moving to Bristol will be a life-changing experience for me. I hope I get along with a bunch of people and do things in a group, group activites are the best :biggrin:
Reply 97
Firmed Bristol for the new anthropology course!
Original post by AnharM
I'm from London, where people normally speak slang haha. I don't want to forget my roots, I love my roots! But moving to Bristol will be a life-changing experience for me. I hope I get along with a bunch of people and do things in a group, group activites are the best :biggrin:

you don't need to give up your London roots at all! I wouldn't, I'm from London but moved to Devon some years ago and the london side of me suddenly wakes up every time I go back. Miss it so much but I know much about Bristol either..we're both going to have a new environment to adapt to :smile:

You will blend it and makes loads of friends..dont worry! I'm really looking forward to the societies too :3 You don't have to have gone to a private school to fit in...at all! at least I don't think so...
Reply 99
Hi guys, I'm torn between Bath and Bristol for Mechanical Engineering & it'd be nice if you guys could spare some time and advise me on both my choices. If you're willing to, I've compiled all that you need to know here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2637043

Thank you in advance!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending