The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Hatred of rich people is worse than hatred of minorities and women

Hatred of bankers, the mega-rich, corporations, etc is ridiculous. Why would you hate someone who has actually accomplished something? At least racists and misogynists make up justifiable reasons for why they hate other races and women. But to hate someone because they are successful? There's no rational justification for that. That's pure emotion, an ugly emotion I might add (envy). You cannot build down, you must build UP, upwards, higher. Rich people offer you nothing but opportunity. Poor people and the middle class do nothing but try to take it away for you. They are your thugs, gang members, police officers, TSA employees, prison guards, DMV employees, teachers, etc. These people have never done anything for you, they have only made your life worse and they have polluted this planet with their filth. **** them. The world was better when rich people controlled everything, we need to go back to the days when the rich had true power. Imagine a world where we did not stick up for the scum of the world.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't hate bankers, I'm searingly jealous of them.
Reply 2
Sorry to break this to you, but the rich people have the power today. They pay for your politicians' campaigns, and they never pay without expecting something in return.

Answering your question: hatred towards rich people (which is not really hatred as most people would like to be rich, it's more of a negative attitude) comes from the same thing as other kinds of generalised hatred - stereotypes/generalisations. In this case, due to a number of reasons, people have associated wealth with wealth earned by dubious means, especially at the expense of exploiting the poor.

Just to finish, if you think the world was better in the middle ages, when the rich (nobles) controlled everything directly, I suggest you spend a week living the life of a peasant from those times - and don't forget to not resort to any technology (or at least technology developed by peasants)!
Reply 3
Original post by abusername
Hatred of bankers, the mega-rich, corporations, etc is ridiculous. Why would you hate someone who has actually accomplished something? At least racists and misogynists make up justifiable reasons for why they hate other races and women. But to hate someone because they are successful? There's no rational justification for that. That's pure emotion, an ugly emotion I might add (envy). You cannot build down, you must build UP, upwards, higher. Rich people offer you nothing but opportunity. Poor people and the middle class do nothing but try to take it away for you. They are your thugs, gang members, police officers, TSA employees, prison guards, DMV employees, teachers, etc. These people have never done anything for you, they have only made your life worse and they have polluted this planet with their filth. **** them. The world was better when rich people controlled everything, we need to go back to the days when the rich had true power. Imagine a world where we did not stick up for the scum of the world.

What exactly is justifiable in the arguments of racists and misogynists?
Reply 4
Does anyone hate bankers because they are rich? No. They hate them because of the way they have been rewarded with large sums of cash for a job which led to a housing crisis and a recession. Guess who is really doing the hating here though? Not poor people but rich people! Rich people are breadwinners, they are driven to acheive and yearn to make money, often no matter what, whatever it takes to achieve it. They often hate those they see as beneath them.

Haves cannot stand have nots.
Reply 5
960195-richierich_movie.jpg

Always hated this lil bugger growing up, lol

tbh I dont hate "rich people" Im envious of their financial freedom, but then I wouldnt want most of the jobs that lead too it, 37-40 hours a week and minimal stress is just perfect lol
Reply 6
People hate them because they have the ability to do something positive in their lives but consistently choose to be selfish ****ers
Reply 7
Banks can not and do not create wealth or add value. They simply siphon off a fair slice of money that already exists.
They are able to do so because being a "bank" confers certain financial privileges in their dealings. They are nothing more than leeches transferring wealth from its rightful owners to themselves by legal but dubious means. Needless to say the whole field is awash with investments from inherited wealth, and huge numbers of privately educated smoothies from already wealthy families.
How have teachers made our life worst :s-smilie:

I think the issue that people have with the mega-rich and the cooperations is the fact that their wealth had been gained at the expense of the poor
See the 10 most shameful banking scandals

The richest 1% of the world population owns 46% of the world's global assets and while I don't doubt that some of these mega-rich earned their wealth honestly, a large majority of them have benefitted from corruption and other immoral ways. Not to mention the fact that "celebrities" like Kim Kardashian are earning upwards of $6 million per year for basically doing nothing.

Sidenote: See here and here for articles that challenges your theory that hatred of the rich derives from envy
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
I do not hate rich, successful people but I do hate bankers and can justify my doing so quite easily.
Reply 10
I don't hate rich people, it's up to them what they do with their lives. I want to be rich when I'm older anyway.

However, when some wealthier people suggest that those on benefits should clean toilets or sweep the streets, the comments don't hold any substance. Years ago middle class or wealthier parents would say "make sure you don't end up like her" towards a retail checkout person or stacking shelves in Tesco. Now they're encouraging people to do demeaning jobs because they know they don't have to personally do them themselves.

I think the middle class are the biggest perpetrators of snobbery anyway. They look down on the poor, call them lazy or spongers, but aspire to be considered wealthy or impressive :rolleyes:
Reply 11
Original post by redferry
People hate them because they have the ability to do something positive in their lives but consistently choose to be selfish ****ers

A lot of the mega rich people actually give a fair bit to charities and good causes, but to be fair if they all gave considerably more we could probably end poverty, hunger and a lot of suffering or at least put a big dent in it...
Original post by pane123
I do not hate rich, successful people but I do hate bankers and can justify my doing so quite easily.

Please justify why you hate my father who you've never met.
Original post by Old_Simon
Banks can not and do not create wealth or add value. They simply siphon off a fair slice of money that already exists.
They are able to do so because being a "bank" confers certain financial privileges in their dealings. They are nothing more than leeches transferring wealth from its rightful owners to themselves by legal but dubious means. Needless to say the whole field is awash with investments from inherited wealth, and huge numbers of privately educated smoothies from already wealthy families.

So banks never add value. I guess you've never used a bank to either deposit money or to obtain a loan since banks offer no value to you? You just do your own lending to protect against inflation do you? Banks have a value, they can efficiently match those willing to lend money(depositors) with those who need money in the short term (borrowers). There are multiple banks that compete with each other, in turn lowering the fees to the lowest sustainable level whilst maintaining efficiency.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by aranexus
A lot of the mega rich people actually give a fair bit to charities and good causes, but to be fair if they all gave considerably more we could probably end poverty, hunger and a lot of suffering or at least put a big dent in it...

Irrelevant when most are free market fundamentalists driving global warming and ultimately leading to further suffering for the poorest people
Original post by redferry

Rich people make money for silly things because people support what they do. Roger Federer makes over 100 million (sponsorship + prize money) a year because people watch his matches and consequently buy the products he uses. Steve Jobs made money because people were obsessed with apple products and the films produced by his film company Pixar.

People can stop others from getting rich by no longer supporting their endeavors. Stop watching professional sports, stop buying the latest technological products etc, stop watching Kardashians on tv, etc. It's the common folk's own faults that these rich people continue to receive large incomes.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by aranexus

Then TAKE it from them. That's what taxes are supposed to be for but these days even they are just used to make rich people even richer.
Original post by Doctor_Einstein
So banks never add value. I guess you've never used a bank to either deposit money or to obtain a loan since banks offer no value to you? You just do your own lending to protect against inflation do you? Banks have a value, they can efficiently match those willing to lend money(depositors) with those who need money in the short term (borrowers). There are multiple banks that compete with each other, in turn lowering the fees to the lowest sustainable level whilst maintaining efficiency.

That is *******s, banks are not passive institutions who match borrowers and lenders. That is a fiction they like you to believe. Fractional reserve banking means the bank just creates the money out of thin air when you make a deposit or take out a loan. Then it goes to the central bank to demand cash to back their made-up money with. The central bank prints the money and reduces the purchasing power of the people's holdings.
It's not called "hate" but jealousy... I mean anyone would lick your bum
(Excuse my French) if you were a banker, lawyer or doctor.
Reply 19
I don't think there is a blanket hatred of the rich but rather a number of social concerns that arise from wealth inequality and, just as importantly, how that inequality came about. Indeed, wealth inequality is now so bad that even many asset managers worry about what it will mean for the health of the economy in general! Social concerns include:

1) Inheritance vs. hard work. The value of certain assets such as property is now so high that even people from poor backgrounds who work hard and accomplish a lot will still never be as rich as someone with a reasonable inheritance. This raises a question about why it is right for some people to consume a quite significant amount of the productivity of others currently living because of the economic activity of their ancestors;

2) Government interference. The Government regularly interferes to maintain the status quo. They tax income, not wealth, making it harder for people from poor backgrounds from accumulating wealth. Capital gains tax is lower and has a separate threshold to income tax. The threshold for inheritance tax is hundreds of thousands of pounds. Also, the government today meddles in the housing market to prevent a crash. They do this to protect people with mortgages from losing hundreds of thousands of pounds, forgetting that in doing so first time buyers and people climbing the property ladder have to pay these hundreds of thousands of pounds to sure the market up (and this is hardly fair is it, that idiots who took stupid risks are protected whilst those waiting for the market to stabilise are punished? Hardly free market is it?)

3) Life chances. Someone who goes on holiday every year, is privately educated and lives in a comfortable environment will be more successful academically. Those who can tap a network of professionals and work unpaid internships gets more choice in life. You can't do much about it but the government does nothing at all. For example, I would provide free university education for all students who were educated by the state for the majority of their secondary school careers.

4) Misbehaving firms and individuals. If people gain the money in a way that did not require hard work (and some areas of investment banking such as vanilla, low risk fixed income trading reward people far too much for doing a high volume but not particularly difficult job) or gained it by criminal means and were never punished or if a firm shows no regard for its environment, its customers or its shareholders, then people are right to be concerned.

5) Abusing power. This links in to government. Those with more who use their money to influence government undermine the democratic process.

Generally, I don't hate the rich. I like people working hard and getting the reward for it. But one family that really gets on my nerves are the Murdochs. They've made money by criminal means (wire taps and the profits from stories that resulted); they use their money and connections to influence governments; they use their media empire to promote stories that they want people to know whilst downplaying the ones they don't and they're nepotistic in the way that Rupert's talentless sons have made their way onto the board. Hopefully, they do all of this without a penny of my money, as I avoid anything they own or touch!

Latest

Trending

Trending