Are popular languages such as C#, Java, PHP, etc., important to get a job?

Watch this thread
kka25
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Popular languages such as the ones on the title seem to be crucial to get a development job. Even senior positions require candidates to have, say, "5 years of experience with X language". I asked my lead developer if he thinks the same and he simply said, "well, you can simply learn it off the internet". Is this the right attitude? I mean if the developer gets stuck with learning just one language for a long period of time, without knowing or having the skills of other languages, wouldn't this be a major disadvantage to them?

I know I myself can learn it off the internet but gaining the actual experience doing it in a commercial setting is completely different than learning it during your spare time isn't it?
mfaxford
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
Depends on what job you're going for. If it was a senior programmer style role then I'd expect it to be mainly looking for a single language or group of related languages (php, html, css, js). If it was more of an architect role then programming principles might be of more use than specific languages (you'll leave someone else to actually write the code).

If you're going to be really good at one language then you're unlikely to spend much time using a lot of other languages. That said having a rough understanding of other languages can be good as it can allow you to be more flexible and potentially introduce you into other ways of working.
Nathanielle
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Usually it they ask for five years of experience (or longer), than they mean experience in a commercial setting. So depending on what you will have to do, learning it via internet will not equal that. If the main requirement is to have experience working with programming and the langauge is only the language you will need and not more, than having worked in another language and applying with self-taught skills might work and be sufficient.
LukeM90
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I always thought commercial experience or xx years experience usualy meant being paid to do it professionally, i.e. being in the situation of being a programmer/developer in an actual business doing "real world" tasks demanded by that kind of job.

As for those languages being needed, do you mean if you had other skills? because I'm moving into a development possition atm from a support role, and while I do have experience of the language academicaly (done projects/learnt it in college) so me not having work experience doing that kind of work hasnt hindered me, then again my role is semi relivant (I support the applications, test them, create scripts (powershell) and do some admin in SQL)

Dunno if I took this wrong but if you meant do you need those languages specificaly for a programming/dev role, I'd also say no, but.. you'd need some relevant skill, or knowledge in another programming language etc

for example I know guys who work with html/javascript and or python and have never had to touch a "workhorse" language like c#, java etc but I guess it all depends on the role,

my first job after college was a website coordinator and I basicaly just used html/css and a CMS and that was it, all day every day (obviously theres more too it than that but thats all I needed to know)

hope any of this helps!
Planto
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
There's being a good programmer and there's being an expert in a particular language. If you want to be a senior dev, you probably need to be both. Anyone who says you can just "pick up a language off the internet" probably isn't the latter (and probably doesn't realise it). It takes years to learn a language inside out, no matter how much programming experience you have.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (23)
33.33%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (31)
44.93%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (14)
20.29%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.45%

Watched Threads