Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nocoolusername
Passive and active transport

Posted from TSR Mobile

Passive - Energy is not required
Active - Energy is required

Passive: Diffusion and osmosis
Active: Active transport

Diffusion: Concentration gradients (high to low) until they reach equilibrium, transport across a partially permeable membrane

Osmosis: Water potential gradient (low to more negative), transport of water molecules, pure water = 0 water potential, adding a solute will lower that to create a negative water potential. Transport across a partially permeable membrane.

Active transport: The use of carrier proteins, that use ATP from respiration, to transport larger molecules across the cell surface membrane. Low to high concentration, (against the concentration gradient).

That should be a good enough starting point. Do lots of past paper questions and add more detail :smile:
Original post by a123a
I'm looking at Birmingham, maybe Imperial, KCL and probably Nottingham.
What about you?

I've been to the Birmingham open days but haven't went to any others :redface:.

Cambridge are going to increase their standard offer for "sciencey" courses as well for 2015 entry; from A*AA to A*A*A. So now we have even more pressure!
Yep I'm making sure I have lots of fun along the way!

Good luck!

Wow, they are all amazing Unis. Though every medical school in the UK is just as respected. Good luck with the application process, medicine is very competitive, I hear. :smile:

Provided I get all A's at AS, I'll be looking at Durham and UCL. Not sure about any others though :colondollar:

Yep, I heard about that too, though I was hoping it was only a rumour. Now the pressure if even more on!

How are you hoping to spend your half term?
Reply 43
Original post by HappyCheesecake
Wow, they are all amazing Unis. Though every medical school in the UK is just as respected. Good luck with the application process, medicine is very competitive, I hear. :smile:

Provided I get all A's at AS, I'll be looking at Durham and UCL. Not sure about any others though :colondollar:

Yep, I heard about that too, though I was hoping it was only a rumour. Now the pressure if even more on!

How are you hoping to spend your half term?

For half term I'm going to probably finish writing my notes for F212 and for the other unit 2s of my other A levels. Then I probably starting going through my notes. I'll recap the first units as well. Probably going to spend some time with my cousins as well.
How about you? Revision or relaxation? :colone:
Do any of you know if there are any past paper questions on microscopes and which questions they are on which papers? I can't seem to find any :redface:
Reply 45
Read the next post,,,(I've explained it better)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 46
I write my notes from a range of sources, such as the textbook, revision guide, online notes etc... So my notes are like a condensed version of many notes; this makes sure I don't miss anything out and means I have a reliable and reinforced set of notes. I then go through my notes until I have basically memorised it all; the understanding and consolidating of the topics normally occurs when I'm writing my notes. When I go through them I may add things to it from past papers (which also helps me to refine my exam technique), so when I go through my notes the next time I also going though some past paper questions again. I might say some bits to a family member (so that I am teaching them); and this too helps me to reinforce my understanding of the topics.

I'm definitely not an auditory learner. :colondollar:
Reply 47
I'm on OCR Chemistry A, and I haven't actually done the distillation experiment yet.

All I know is that there is a cooling liquid so that it can condense in the tube.

edit: oh yeah, and that the ethanol should produce an ethanoic acid and eventually a ketone if it is a primary alcohol, which it is. You distill to get ethanoic acid and there was something about adding sodium carbonate so if it fizzes ethanoic acid is made. (Or you add iodine and the see what colour it is) But I'm not too sure...
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by a123a
For half term I'm going to probably finish writing my notes for F212 and for the other unit 2s of my other A levels. Then I probably starting going through my notes. I'll recap the first units as well. Probably going to spend some time with my cousins as well.
How about you? Revision or relaxation? :colone:

That sounds nice - a little bit of both :smile: Have you almost finished all of your unit 2 content across all subjects at your school?

For half-term, I'll probably try and do some reading up on unit 2, recap unit 1 topics for all subjects, prepare for the second biology coursework and try to finish off my physics coursework. For relaxation, I really want to go watch 12 Years a Slave with my sister, celebrate my friend's birthday and also do some writing for the Peterhouse Science Essay Competition. Feels like a week is not enough for all of this! :confused:
Original post by pamplemousse1
Yes, we have. My school sets a lot of independent study so we pretty much learn the lesson before we are taught it which helps things move on quickly :tongue:

We did an osmosis task for the quantitative and we have done one about xylem and phloem for qualitative. We're going to do enzymes next week :tongue:

That's actually really good - I wish my school did that! It feels like we are the only ones to be so behind in everything, I don't think my school will even teach us all of F212 before the exam but will try to cram it all in with after school 'revision classes'.

I did the xylem and phloem one too for qualitative - OCR are so specific with what they want it scares me a little! Yet they have such high grade boundaries... :s-smilie:

Good luck with your coursework next week! :smile: How are you planning to spend your half-term?
Reply 50
That sounds nice - a little bit of both :smile: Have you almost finished all of your unit 2 content across all subjects at your school?

For half-term, I'll probably try and do some reading up on unit 2, recap unit 1 topics for all subjects, prepare for the second biology coursework and try to finish off my physics coursework. For relaxation, I really want to go watch 12 Years a Slave with my sister, celebrate my friend's birthday and also do some writing for the Peterhouse Science Essay Competition. Feels like a week is not enough for all of this! :confused:

Well for Chemistry and Physics we've gone halfway through but I'm going ahead and learning it at home because at school I get confused. For maths I stick to the schools pace; learnt C3,M1,D1,S1 and had about 3 lessons on C4. (I did C1 and C2 in yr 11) I'm doing an extra module so next year it will be easier if I get the chance to do AS FM.
Your week sounds a lot more busier than mine! I actually have no time for essay competitions!:eek: That's true a week is not enough! I wouldn't mind missing school and just going in for coursework help really... I can do a lot more at home.
Original post by a123a
Well for Chemistry and Physics we've gone halfway through but I'm going ahead and learning it at home because at school I get confused. For maths I stick to the schools pace; learnt C3,M1,D1,S1 and had about 3 lessons on C4. (I did C1 and C2 in yr 11) I'm doing an extra module so next year it will be easier if I get the chance to do AS FM.
Your week sounds a lot more busier than mine! I actually have no time for essay competitions!:eek: That's true a week is not enough! I wouldn't mind missing school and just going in for coursework help really... I can do a lot more at home.

Yeah, I've always thought that school taught things far too slow for my liking. I feel so sorry for teachers who have to control a class of 20+ teenagers - half of the class doesn't even bother with trying to listen, then they complained when they got U's in their mocks. Sometimes, I wish I could just stay at home and teach myself. :cool:

For maths, I also stick to the school's pace, it's so much easier for me. How do you find time to revise for maths alongside your other subjects?
Reply 52
Yeah, I've always thought that school taught things far too slow for my liking. I feel so sorry for teachers who have to control a class of 20+ teenagers - half of the class doesn't even bother with trying to listen, then they complained when they got U's in their mocks. Sometimes, I wish I could just stay at home and teach myself. :cool:

For maths, I also stick to the school's pace, it's so much easier for me. How do you find time to revise for maths alongside your other subjects?

I do all homework by the weekdays, and revise, not just for Maths, on the weekends :wink:
That's actually really good - I wish my school did that! It feels like we are the only ones to be so behind in everything, I don't think my school will even teach us all of F212 before the exam but will try to cram it all in with after school 'revision classes'.

I did the xylem and phloem one too for qualitative - OCR are so specific with what they want it scares me a little! Yet they have such high grade boundaries... :s-smilie:

Good luck with your coursework next week! :smile: How are you planning to spend your half-term?

ooh, my half-term will probably be spent revising :tongue: I haven't got any plans for relaxation yet :frown:
My F211 mock has been moved to wednesday :biggrin: but what is the best way to retain the information. When i do tests i get bad results but when i have to explain a topic out loud i go into detail. How can i put this information onto paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Posted from TSR Mobile

Can someone please explain translocation for me I honestly cannot get it, the CGP book mentions nothing on co-transporter proteins.
Original post by thespontaneous1
Posted from TSR Mobile

Can someone please explain translocation for me I honestly cannot get it, the CGP book mentions nothing on co-transporter proteins.

Yeah, I don't mind.
Basically, companion cells release H + ions from their cytoplasm into surrounding tissue, this decreases the concentration of H + ions in the companion cells, resulting in the creation of a H + ion concentration gradient. Then due to diffusion the hydrogen ions come back into the cytoplasm if the companion cells, however pass through co transporter proteins which enable them to bring sucrose back into the companion cells.
Hope it helps. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Unknown505
Yeah, I don't mind.
Basically, companion cells release H + ions from their cytoplasm into surrounding tissue, this decreases the concentration of H + ions in the companion cells, resulting in the creation of a H + ion concentration gradient. Then due to diffusion the hydrogen ions come back into the cytoplasm if the companion cells, however pass through co transporter proteins which enable them to bring sucrose back into the companion cells.
Hope it helps. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah thanks a bunch for this :biggrin:!
So much to learn!! I feel like I should share this advice for revision in biology :smile:

Grab the CGP text book, revise from it, do past paper questions on a topic and then use the mark schemes to scribble down extra details into the CGP book.

Working really well for me so far :smile: been doing alright in tests because of this :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
[QUOTE="Shadow_Amber;46267966"]
Original post by Jemzbee
Anyone done the enzymes isa yet? For f212

I had the enzyme quantitative today.

It was the effect calcium concentration has on coagulating of milk proteins

Post rating: 0

I've got that coming up any tips as to the content needed to learn etc for the papers - particularly qualitative I'm doing it after half term
Thanks!!
How did you find it btw??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest