The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Struggling to embrace Nottingham as a city

Okay so I'm a first year doing Management Studies, and whilst both campuses I'm based at are lovely (Uni Park and Jubilee), I don't particularly like the city.

It's just got that very cold, midlands feel about it (no disrespect). It's just really rough I mean, there is such a low police-presence and given the city's reputation for crime I would have thought they'd want to strengthen in this area as much as possible. The amount of homeless/beggars you see about is truly depressing.

We've found a house for next year in Lenton, and I'm just sort of thinking now whether this is really a place where I want to be spending another 2 years of my life :/

Anyone else feel the same?
Reply 1
Shottingham is a ****hole.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Has Nottingham really got a bad reputation for crime? I know there was the whole 'Shottingham' thing but that was 10+ years ago. People really need to let it go.
Nottingham is a beautiful city, I have never felt particularly unsafe there whenever I have visited. There is definitely no need for a large police presence on a regular basis as I'm sure crime there isn't that bad. Did you move from a small village/town to Nottingham or something? Perhaps there has been quite a big jump in terms of the type of environments you've lived in. Compared to someone like me who lives in inner London, so if anything Nottingham seems quieter and more peaceful.
I have to say, from what you've said it really doesn't seem like you're being open minded enough... When I first moved to Nottingham over three years ago, the first thing that stuck me was the vibrancy of the place, how clean the place was and how many genuinely interesting cultural events that were happening on a regular basis. I don't know where you're originally from, but apart from some of the towns and cities in the home counties, I can tell you, they don't come much tidier than Nottingham. I can't give the Nottingham City Council enough praise for the money they spend on infrastructure and education. And whats wrong with Midlands anyway ? A very historical part of England is Nottingham, and certainly one of the best places outside London for live music, film and the arts... And that's coming from a woolyback scouser.
Reply 4
closeenemies, I think I can see how you have come to your conclusion, assuming you have spent most of your time in the area between UP/Jubilee and the city centre. Can I suggest you look up routes and go and walk/cycle along the canals or the banks of the Trent - the have the added benefit of connecting lots of areas and can be a nice alternative to taking a bus or cycling along some of the roads.

I've been in Nottingham for 5 years now. As a city it's pretty damn good, although like all cities it does have a couple of areas that I try to avoid (the Meadows and St Anns, for example). I've never had a problem; I worked for an lettings agent between semesters and in three years and of >200 student houses only ever had 1 break-in in Dunkirk.

For accommodation, have you looked at all the areas around UP? Wollaton is a lovely area based around the park and Beeston is a vibrant self-contained town with excellent public transport links to UP and the city centre (although road travel is impeded by tram works atm, but the trains are great). Further out is Attenborough and the Nature reserve.

IMO, too many students seem to be drawn into areas like Dunkirk and Lenton because "that's where all the students are" and many don't look outside their perceived comfort zone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending