The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lastminuterevise
Can someone do an overview of the biomol tests, I havent looked up on them and it seems people are confident theyre gonna come up :s-smilie:

Starch- Test with iodine, positive result is blue-black

Reducing sugar- test with Benedict solution, positive result is orange-red

Non reducing sugars- if Benedict test is unsuccessful, boil with hydrochloric acid which hydrolyses and sucrose present. Then add an alkali to neutralise it such as Sodium hydrogen-carbonate solution and carry out the reducing sugar test again. Positive result will be orange-red

Protein- Test with Biuret reagent, positive result is lilac

Lipids- Mix sample with ethanol, pour mixture into water in another test tube. positive result is a cloudy white emulsion forming near the top of the water.

Good luck!
Reply 1581
Can someone do an overview of the biomol tests, I havent looked up on them and it seems people are confident theyre gonna come up :s-smilie:

Starch: add iodine solution. Postive result- amber==> blue-black

Reducing sugar: add Benedict's Reagent and heat in a water bath over 80o'C, observe colour changes (qualitative) or use a colourimeter (quantitative). Positive result- clear blue ==> opaque red.

Non reducing sugar: add warm dilute HCL(aq) (to hydrolyse the glycosidic bonds) then add NaHCO3(s) (to neutralise the acid). Perform Benedict's test as above.

Protein: add Biuret Reagent. Positive result- blue ==> purple

Lipid: add ethanol and shake well. Decant liquid into a clean test tube and add a few drops of water. Positive result- milky white emulsion

Hope that helps :smile:
Thanks for that
In enzymes when it asks about competive inhibitors do you say the competitive inhibitor has a simillar shape with the substrate so it competes with the substrate for the enzymes active site to form an enzyme-inhibitor complex. What else do i need to add to get 3 marks in this question.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Objectives of EIA & CITIES?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ooxbridge
Outline the main steps by which disease resistance could be selectively bred into commercially grown papaya (3)

Im not sure if Im correct, but if I saw that question things which pop into my mind are:

-Selective breeding
-Select two best (papayas) showing disease resistance (desirable characterstic) and cross breed.
-Then select the best two offspring and interbreed, continue to do this over many generations
-Thus increasing frequency of characterestic
Original post by Samdrakerevision
Starch- Test with iodine, positive result is blue-black

Reducing sugar- test with Benedict solution, positive result is orange-red

Non reducing sugars- if Benedict test is unsuccessful, boil with hydrochloric acid which hydrolyses and sucrose present. Then add an alkali to neutralise it such as Sodium hydrogen-carbonate solution and carry out the reducing sugar test again. Positive result will be orange-red

Protein- Test with Biuret reagent, positive result is lilac

Lipids- Mix sample with ethanol, pour mixture into water in another test tube. positive result is a cloudy white emulsion forming near the top of the water.

Good luck!

Original post by Toyahh
Starch: add iodine solution. Postive result- amber==> blue-black

Reducing sugar: add Benedict's Reagent and heat in a water bath over 80o'C, observe colour changes (qualitative) or use a colourimeter (quantitative). Positive result- clear blue ==> opaque red.

Non reducing sugar: add warm dilute HCL(aq) (to hydrolyse the glycosidic bonds) then add NaHCO3(s) (to neutralise the acid). Perform Benedict's test as above.

Protein: add Biuret Reagent. Positive result- blue ==> purple

Lipid: add ethanol and shake well. Decant liquid into a clean test tube and add a few drops of water. Positive result- milky white emulsion

Hope that helps :smile:

Original post by The_Top_Hat
Starch test - Add iodine and test piece will go blue/black from yellow/brown if starch is present

Reducing sugar test - Add Benedict's solution and heat to 80 degrees celsius. Solution goes from blue to green to orange to red (With precipitate) if reducing sugar is present (In increasing concentrations)

Non-Reducing sugar - Add dilute HCl and boil, cool and add alkali and then carry out benedict's test. Any colour change indicates non-reducing sugar instead of reducing sugar.

Protein test - Add Copper (II) Sulphate and solution goes from blue to lilac if proteins are present.

Lipid test - Add ethanol to crushed material and filter with cold water. Discard residue and leave filtrate to separate. If a milky emulsion forms in water layer, lipid present.

Thanks for that info guys, much appreciated. Seems simple enough if I can incorporate it into my thick skull :smile:
Would we have to know the specific name of the tests? I remember lipid test was also called the emulsion test if I remember correctly

It's called the ethanol-emulsion test.

It may help to know the name of the tests.
Reply 1588
Original post by toonervoustotalk
In enzymes when it asks about competive inhibitors do you say the competitive inhibitor has a simillar shape with the substrate so it competes with the substrate for the enzymes active site to form an enzyme-inhibitor complex. What else do i need to add to get 3 marks in this question.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yep then just go on to say the usual that the substrate can no longer bind so no ESC's produced so decreased rate of reaction depending on the questoin :smile:

why do we need to know that
Whats an inorganic ion cofactor
Original post by Aimenidris350

its on specification
Original post by Aimenidris350

it on the biology specification
Anyone want to revise together? Go on omegle with the interest "biologyas" without the quotation marks. Ask eachother questions and help eachother
Original post by gemyak

an inorganic ion cofactor, is a molecule , normally cl-, which bind to either the enzyme or substrate increasing rate of reaction. it makes the enzyme substrate complex form more easily. because it affects the charge distribution
Is water translucent or transparent in terms of photosynthesising plants underwater?
Original post by FredRussell97
Is water translucent or transparent in terms of photosynthesising plants underwater?

Transparent, so light can penetrate the water, so plants such as algea, etc, can get light for photosynthesis
Original post by gemyak

> Non protein substance that bind with the enzyme

> they make enzyme to bind with substrate easier

> they are not used up or changed in any way
Reply 1598
Original post by FredRussell97

Transparent
Reply 1599
Original post by gemyak
What are the differences between cellulose and glycogen and haemoglobin and collagen

Carbohydrates:
Glycogen- A-glucose monomers, more compact than starch, 1,4-glycosidic links, branched molecule, insoluble energy store, chains easily hydrolysed for quick energy release
Cellulose- B-glucose monomers, form long chains, hydrogen bonding to form micorfibrils then macrofibrils, criss-crossing macrofibrils provide support in cell wall

Proteins:
Haemoglobin- globular protein, soluble in water, wide range of amino acids, contains a prosthetic group (haem Fe2+), A-helix structure
Collagen- fibrous protein, insoluble in water, 35% of primary structure is glycine, does not have prosthetic group, left-handed helix structure.

I think it's unlikely they'll ask us to compare a carbohydrate with a protein?

Latest

Trending

Trending