The Student Room Group

Is this outfit ok for medical school interview, (not traditional suit)?

http://www.next.co.uk/x5314s1

with a black jacket, tights and flat shoes.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The floral one?
Reply 2
Original post by Gibber96
The floral one?

yes sorry, should of specified
Reply 3
I'm pretty sure med school interviews advise you to wear clothes that are appropriate to a work/clinical setting, dunno about that flowery dress though..
Reply 4
Original post by oyyoyy
I'm pretty sure med school interviews advise you to wear clothes that are appropriate to a work/clinical setting, dunno about that flowery dress though..

but why do you think it's not appropriate for work?
Reply 5
Original post by EllieGrace12
http://www.next.co.uk/x5314s1

with a black jacket, tights and flat shoes.

It is safer to go with black or navy dresses..but there were people in my interview with dresses like that. Not many though. There are standard interview clothes on next if you have a look at the tailored section.

Good luck with the interview!
Reply 6
yes sorry, should of specified

And do you mean the long one, the medium one or the short one?
Reply 7
Original post by Gibber96
And do you mean the long one, the medium one or the short one?

I have the regular length one to try on and it sits on my knee, so a good length
It's a bit out there but probably fine if that's what you'd feel comfortable wearing even though everyone around you will probably be wearing something plainer!
Reply 9
I have the regular length one to try on and it sits on my knee, so a good length

I think it would be fine. It looks nice and formal and there would be no issue going into any kind of workplace wearing it. Interviewers would probably rather see someone wearing something a bit more interesting and colourful after they've seen a hundred people looking uncomfortable in a suit. Go for it.
Reply 10
Original post by Rob da Mop
It's a bit out there but probably fine if that's what you'd feel comfortable wearing even though everyone around you will probably be wearing something plainer!

My thought was it was something for them to remember me by. I understand what comes out of my mouth is the important thing and that's what will get me the place but I mean when they are discussing the interviews, it may be like " oh she was the girl with the flowery dress" rather than "I can't remember her". I do feel comfortable in it, especially as it won't get creased and it's MMI's so I'll be moving around.
My thought was it was something for them to remember me by. I understand what comes out of my mouth is the important thing and that's what will get me the place but I mean when they are discussing the interviews, it may be like " oh she was the girl with the flowery dress" rather than "I can't remember her". I do feel comfortable in it, especially as it won't get creased and it's MMI's so I'll be moving around.

In the nicest way possible I doubt the dress would make them remember you much more, but yeah, it's probably fine.
Reply 12
Original post by Rob da Mop
In the nicest way possible I doubt the dress would make them remember you much more, but yeah, it's probably fine.

I don't know, if I had seen a lot of people in one day something like that just might jog my memory on them.
but why do you think it's not appropriate for work?

Looks like a wedding outfit - NOT a doctor!

I would rethink :smile:
Reply 14
I think it would be fine with a black jacket, like you said. As long as it's not too short, I don't really see the problem. I've seen people wear dresses like that to interviews before - heck, I even have a few similar dresses which I would wear to an interview.
Reply 15
Looks fabulous - go for it, but be very minimal with your accessories.
Reply 16
On the majority of Medical websites it does say that you should wear a suit that is either black, navy or grey.
Looks very nice to me, and professional. As long as it's not too short it'll be totally fine with a black jacket

I didn't wear a traditional shirt and blazer to my interview, and it wasn't an issue. I had a bright red top which was a 2 piece made of a red vest with a colourful mesh/net layer layed over it. Wore a black jacket with it that wasn't a proper blazer. It was completely fine, and importantly, I felt comfortable in it. I still wear it to some clinical things now
It looks very nice and would be appropriate once you become a doctor but for interviews? I'd rather play it safe, you don't know what interviewer(s) you'll get and they might be a lot more conservative than we the younger generation. If they form a negative impression of your choice of clothing from the get go, that could harm your application.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why risk it?

You might get an interviewer who thinks it's too casual, and that's definitely not good! Don't worry about them remembering you by your clothes; they will most likely talk about you straight after your interview before giving you some scores. I'm pretty sure they don't score all the applicants only at the end of the day. It's part of their job to interview - saying "I don't remember her" isn't good enough and they won't be like that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending