The Student Room Group

Aripiprazole ABILFY 10mg for OCD

I've recently been put on Aripiprazole ABILIFY for my OCD.

Is anyone else taking the same medication? Does it help?

I take Abilify, though not for OCD. It's been a lifesaver for me :yep:
Reply 2
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I take Abilify, though not for OCD. It's been a lifesaver for me :yep:

How does it affect you? It's supposed to make me more stable I think.
Original post by mrocd2014
How does it affect you? It's supposed to make me more stable I think.

It got rid of 90% of my symptoms (delusions, paranoia and hallucinations) :yep: Haven't noticed any side effects and I've been on it (at varying doses) for 2.5 years :yep:
Reply 4
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
It got rid of 90% of my symptoms (delusions, paranoia and hallucinations) :yep: Haven't noticed any side effects and I've been on it (at varying doses) for 2.5 years :yep:

Thanks, I'm glad it works out for you. :smile:
Reply 5
Anyone else on this?
Reply 6
I'm not, but I want to follow your thread and see if it's an option for me, too.
Reply 7
Original post by ChloeBelle
I'm not, but I want to follow your thread and see if it's an option for me, too.

Do you have OCD too? I got put on this medication from my psychiatrist.
Do you have OCD too? I got put on this medication from my psychiatrist.

Yes I do take it. Not for OCD but for schizophrenia. I take 5mg though. It did help stop my delusions but I did not have OCD so cannot comment on that.
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
Yes I do take it. Not for OCD but for schizophrenia. I take 5mg though. It did help stop my delusions but I did not have OCD so cannot comment on that.

Did it make you feel dizzy when you stand up? I get that but not sure if it's because of this medication or not ...
Did it make you feel dizzy when you stand up? I get that but not sure if it's because of this medication or not ...

I'm not on it, nor have I ever been, but I've seen it used a fair bit, and to generally good effect.

Dizziness is a possible side-effect, and is one of the more common ones, so it could indeed be the aripiprazole that's causing this - in fact, aripiprazole is particularly notorious for causing dizziness more commonly than other similar drugs that are used. If the dizziness is a problem, you should say so to your psychiatrist, or to your GP if you're not seeing the psychiatrist very soon, so that other options can be considered. There are a whole series of similar drugs that act in the same way but tend to cause less dizziness - but can cause other side-effects, so it's a case of finding the right one for you.

How long have you been on them for so far, by the way? It's not uncommon for the dizziness to settle down and eventually go away entirely once your body gets used to it! They also take 3-4 weeks(+) to really start producing full effects, so (other than if you need to change them because of the dizziness) don't lose heart because you think they're not working yet. They tend to be rather effective, so long as you stick with them until the dose and the effect has built up to its maximum :smile:

Good luck - if you have any more questions just ask!

ΘΣ
(edited 10 years ago)

Yes I did to be honest but it went away after a while.
Reply 12
Original post by Friar Chris
I'm not on it, nor have I ever been, but I've seen it used a fair bit, and to generally good effect.

Dizziness is a possible side-effect, and is one of the more common ones, so it could indeed be the aripiprazole that's causing this - in fact, aripiprazole is particularly notorious for causing dizziness more commonly than other similar drugs that are used. If the dizziness is a problem, you should say so to your psychiatrist, or to your GP if you're not seeing the psychiatrist very soon, so that other options can be considered. There are a whole series of similar drugs that act in the same way but tend to cause less dizziness - but can cause other side-effects, so it's a case of finding the right one for you.

How long have you been on them for so far, by the way? It's not uncommon for the dizziness to settle down and eventually go away entirely once your body gets used to it! They also take 3-4 weeks(+) to really start producing full effects, so (other than if you need to change them because of the dizziness) don't lose heart because you think they're not working yet. They tend to be rather effective, so long as you stick with them until the dose and the effect has built up to its maximum :smile:

Good luck - if you have any more questions just ask!

ΘΣ

Thanks for your reply - I've been on it for quite a while now but I only get the dizziness sometimes, but I will mention it to my psychiatrist on my next appointment :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest